AGS 3.4.1 - RC 3 (new release candidate)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 09/04/2017 22:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 08/12/2017 17:35:38
I think it goes away if you do "Rebuild all files", but that's not confirmed.
Sadly, it does not. I even renamed the compiled folder and rebuilt all, but I still get that message box.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Fri 08/12/2017 17:46:46
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 08/12/2017 17:35:38
I think it goes away if you do "Rebuild all files", but that's not confirmed.
Sadly, it does not. I even renamed the compiled folder and rebuilt all, but I still get that message box.

Ok, I got it. Workaround is: go to General Settings, Backwards compatibility, open "Script API version" drop-down list and just close it (leave value unchanged), then compile again.
There is a value that does not initialize correctly until this setting is set to something.

cat

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 08/12/2017 18:10:34
Workaround is: go to General Settings, Backwards compatibility, open "Script API version" drop-down list and just close it (leave value unchanged), then compile again.
Thanks, that did it!

eri0o

Hey Crimson Wizard. The PDB files you told... I am trying to debug one of those 0xC0000005 exceptions: in a specific computer, running Windows 7, selecting the OpenGL driver gets an exception, program pointer +5, but it works for Direct3D - https://i.imgur.com/BBN6mxs.png . I used the beta that was available on 29 November ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/enevvalninme7cn/ags-editor-3.4.1--pre-rc3.zip?dl=0 ). Please release those with RC3. My game Dungeon Hands was executed by more than 40 people, and it worked without errors on Windows 10 - at least no one reported.

NicolaGs

Hi, sorry to bother you again.
I found another small issue with the management of dual scaling for Windowed/fullscreen mode.

Make a game with default settings :
- fullscreen scaling mode = strech, preserving ratio
- windowed mode scaling mode = max round multiplier
- fullscreen

Run the game : it works as expected, i.e. fullscreen, stretched with good ratio.

Now, switch to windowed mode : it works as expected, with max round multiplier

Then exit the game

Then launch the game again : it runs in a window, but with stretch-precerbing-ratio mode instead of max round multiplier.

The .cfg in"saved games" only store "windowed=" and not the scaling mode... could it be the source of the issue?
My first game : I Want Out!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: NicolaGs on Sat 09/12/2017 12:34:05
The .cfg in"saved games" only store "windowed=" and not the scaling mode... could it be the source of the issue?
No, these scaling modes can be read from default config too.

All these issues are because the system was not originally designed to switch at runtime. So now it saves only one variable when exits game (windowed or fullscreen mode) but does not save actual window size.

This build contains fixes
https://www.dropbox.com/s/enevvalninme7cn/ags-editor-3.4.1--pre-rc3.zip?dl=0

NicolaGs

NicolaGs

It seems that fixed multipliers in windowed mode do not work.
If you set up your game with windowed mode and e.g. x2, the game runs at its original size...
If you set up your game with fullscreen with e.g. x2 for windowed mode, when swithcing from fullscreen to windowed mode, you get a max multiplier...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: NicolaGs on Sun 10/12/2017 13:26:37
It seems that fixed multipliers in windowed mode do not work.
If you set up your game with windowed mode and e.g. x2, the game runs at its original size...
If you set up your game with fullscreen with e.g. x2 for windowed mode, when swithcing from fullscreen to windowed mode, you get a max multiplier...

The old code that I was fixing is back, I did mistake when merging changes to repository.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/enevvalninme7cn/ags-editor-3.4.1--pre-rc3.zip?dl=0

NicolaGs

The scaling when starting the game in windowed mode is fixed !
But not when you first start the game in fullscreen mode : when you then switch to windowed mode, it uses max multiplier... and not the one you set in the winsetup.

Crimson Wizard

Well, that's because I did not code the main functionality, that was first reason of this change. I don't know how this happened, probably I do not understand what I am doing anymore.

NicolaGs

If you're not comfortable with it, maybe you can drop this from 3.4.1 and put it on the to-do list for the next version ? I'm sure everybody here can live without this feature... ;)

NicolaGs

Crimson Wizard

AGS 3.4.1 RC3
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/releases/betas/AGS-3.4.1-RC3/AGS-3.4.1-rc-3.zip
(also updated first post)

Few last-minute changes had to be made to improve usability of this release.

Changes since RC 2:

Editor:
- Fixed TRS files could not be compiled if Compiled/Data folder is not present.
- Fixed some incorrectly written values in default config.
- Fixed script API options were not properly initialized when upgrading old games, which caused warnings appear on game launch.

Engine:
- Now supports separate scaling options for fullscreen and windowed modes.

* Linux build pack (https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/download/v.3.4.1.10/AGS.3.4.1.10.Editor.Linux.Pack.zip).

NicolaGs

cat

I just want to say that I love the new Default Setup page and with the last RC it also works correctly!

Vincent

Superlative work Crimson Wizard, thank you very much!

Chicky

Hey fantastic work Crimson! I've been trying out the RC2 (and now RC3) release after using 3.2 for for the past 3 years and the improvements are so good! I love how smooth alt-tab and alt-enter is now and the updated winsetup is perfect.

Today I've upgraded from the original RC2 release to this new RC3 release and I'm getting the follow errors when trying to build the game:

Note: Ignore the GUI related one, that's just AGS being silly (and has been there forever).

Am I doing something wrong? I deleted the compiled folder and tried rebuilding all files just to make sure, but alas, same output. Seems the game compiles successfully and I'm able to run it.

Could this be an anti-virus issue? I've added exceptions for the folder in which RC3 resides.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk