The Clockwork Labyrinth - progress update

Started by elentgirl, Sun 16/04/2017 15:40:02

Previous topic - Next topic

elentgirl

I started this thread in April, and I've just added a new post with further updates and screenshots

It's been a few yeas since I launched my last game, Adventure Island.  That took me five years to complete, and I was unsure whether I would make another game, but a year ago I had an idea for a new first person, point-and-click puzzle adventure.  This is something I've wanted to try to do for a long while, but I was deterred by the AGS limit on active rooms.  However, another AGS programmer gave me the idea of using the multiple backgrounds for rooms, which enlarges the number of available screens fivefold.

The Clockwork Labyrinth will be a unique puzzle adventure, a surreal mix of Gothic, Steampunk, ancient civilisations and fairground kitch, with a broad range of challenges, from simple fun games to more complex, interconnected puzzles.  A mysterious message on social media lures you into a weird underground complex to rescue a damsel in distress.  You must pit your wits against the Clockwork Labyrinth and find your way to the enigma at its heart.

When I started the game I estimated that it would take me three years to finish, but after only a year I am more advanced than I expected to be.  Most of the backgrounds and much of the programming is complete for three of the five game sections, including the largest.  All the puzzles have been planned, with graphics and animations done for a number.  I now anticipate my game being ready for Beta testing in around another year.

I have attached a few screenshots below, and will report further progress nearer to release.

The way in is guarded by a slightly sinister clown.

One of many fun puzzles in the Metal Maze.

The door to the museum.

Inside the Caves of Confusion.

The Tomb of Marissandra.

Mandle

ELEN!!!

Stoked to see you still developing, and I'm so excited about this news! You know I'm one of the biggest fans of Adventure Island that there ever was!

The screenshots look gorgeous! Put me at the top of the list for pre-alpha testing! Hell, send me a link of whatever you have so far and I'll start testing next week! (Busy with crunch time for a commercial release this week ;) )

Cassiebsg

Looks sweet :D
Great backgrounds!  (nod)

Good luck, and let me know if you need an alpha tester.  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

sthomannch

Hello elentgirl!
The screenshots vanished from photobucket, only error messages for all of them..

Two Tales

This looks great. Glad you were enticed back to AGS and that development is going faster than expected. Good news all round.

AnasAbdin

So nice to see AGSers coming back here! You just can't escape (laugh)
Project looking great, best of luck!

Blondbraid

Nice screenshots, I like that it has a different style and can make such odd elements work together.

elentgirl

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 16/04/2017 16:56:46
Put me at the top of the list for pre-alpha testing! Hell, send me a link of whatever you have so far and I'll start testing next week! (Busy with crunch time for a commercial release this week ;) )

Mandle, you are top of my list of prospective testers, but I'm afraid you will have to wait a little while.  I'm working as quickly as I can!  :)

Quote from: sthomannch on Sun 16/04/2017 17:20:46
Hello elentgirl!
The screenshots vanished from photobucket, only error messages for all of them..

I'm afraid I don't understand the problem.  The screenshots are all present and I downloaded one successfully to see it that was the problem.  What were you trying to do?  I don't know Photobucket very well and I only use it because AGS doesn't seem to like my preferred on-line storage site.

Frodo

Those screenshots look amazing.  I especially like Door To The Museum, and the statues on either side of the door.  :grin:

Glad development is going well.  Looking forward to playing it.  :cheesy:

Stupot

Great backgrounds. All the best with this :-)

sthomannch

elentgirl
It works in another browser, and the screenshots look great! Can't wait to play this game :-)

(With Firefox, I still cannot see the pictures, not even when I go to Photobucket directly and all add-ons de-activated. Anyway, there is an easy way around)

Mandle

And, by the way, if anyone reading this has not played Adventure Island, by this same author, but loves games with atmosphere, a loveable player character, a feeling of wonder, and really, REALLY well-designed puzzles: What are you waiting for?!

You can get it here:

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1688/

And hearing that one of the true great puzzle designers in our community is making a game centered around puzzles?!

I just gotta go sit on my hands, or I'll be gushing about it until the freakin' cows come home!

EDIT: ALSO...why isn't Adventure Island AGS panel rated yet?! It has four-cups from user ratings AND is a HUGE showcase of what AGS can produce when placed in the right hands...

elentgirl

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 17/04/2017 16:38:26
And, by the way, if anyone reading this has not played Adventure Island, by this same author, but loves games with atmosphere, a loveable player character, a feeling of wonder, and really, REALLY well-designed puzzles: What are you waiting for?!

Thank you Mandle.  Maybe I should employ you as my marketing manager!! (laugh)

SilverSpook

That is a total trip!  Love the art style!  Good luck with this- there needs to be more surrealist-looking stuff out there. :)

selmiak

This sure looks interesting and puzzling!  ;-D

Shadow1000

Considering how much I enjoyed Adventure Island as well as how beautiful these backgrounds are, I have high expectations for this release!

SHADOW

Nixxon

Amazing artwork, fantastic level of detail in these screenshots. Tantalising vibe :)

HandsFree

Enjoyed adventure island a lot, so looking forward to this!
Quote from: elentgirl on Sun 16/04/2017 15:40:02
This is something I've wanted to try to do for a long while, but I was deterred by the AGS limit on active rooms.  However, another AGS programmer gave me the idea of using the multiple backgrounds for rooms, which enlarges the number of available screens fivefold.
:shocked: I didn't even know there's a limit on active rooms (what's an active room?). How many rooms is the limit then?

elentgirl

Quote from: HandsFree on Sat 22/04/2017 13:57:41
:shocked: I didn't even know there's a limit on active rooms (what's an active room?). How many rooms is the limit then?

According to the system limits in the manual, there are 299 state saving rooms.  I understand this to mean rooms in which the progress of the player (whether a hotspot has been looked at, etc) is saved for future visits to that room.  Presumably you can have more than 299 rooms as long as they are 'inactive'.

Thank you all for you positive comments - you have encouraged me to crack on with completing the game.  I'm currently in the Crypt and working my way out!  (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk