New icon for the AGS Editor [HELP PLEASE]

Started by ChamberOfFear, Wed 19/04/2017 14:49:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Khris

Could be a bit brighter I guess, changed it a bit:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/3Ej3FX2.png[/imgzoom]

And in Win 10:

(The diskette icon is from TotalCommander.)

Danvzare

I like it, especially this new slightly changed version.
But my only problem is that the angle kind of stops my mind from instantly recognizing it as a cup. It looks more like a blue lens cover for a camera to me.

Cassiebsg

I'm probably a case for Freud, cause it kind of looks like a round circle with a penis to me... (roll) 
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Hobo

I think it's the angle of the handle that makes it hard to understandle what it is. The pixel version looks ok, it's quite hard to draw anything clearly readable in 16x16 pixels anyway, but I'm not a fan of that vector piece and its black outlines, it also looks rather bland next to your other taskbar icons.
It's actually great to see people working on such things and improving little bits of AGS here and there.

Khris

Quote from: Hobo on Fri 22/09/2017 17:32:56understandle
That made me giggle quite a bit (laugh)

Ok then, next attempt:

Not really.

Danvzare

I like it. I personally think the black shading is a bit much, but that's probably just me.
The only problem I really have though, is that the cup looks really shallow. As though the base of the cup takes up 80% of the cup. (laugh)
Or that we're looking at the cup from the bottom.

Am I making sense?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Khris on Fri 22/09/2017 19:39:20
Ok then, next attempt:

This looks like a smiling ghost with a handle... or beard... or riding a wheel... or freud stuff again :).

Gurok

The old icon was better.
Or maybe we should go with Khris' icon reworked and at different sizes.
Right now, I'd just prefer the old icon outright.
This is the Critics' Lounge, so I'm allowed to say this.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Cassiebsg

Why not just put the extra icons in the exe and let the user choose the one they like best?
(Of course, must users don't know they can change the icon...) (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 02/06/2018 15:39:20
Why not just put the extra icons in the exe and let the user choose the one they like best?
(Of course, must users don't know they can change the icon...) (roll)
Sounds like a good idea to me. Probably throw in a green cup while we're at it, since I remember someone having a problem with the cup being blue. (laugh)

Most users probably don't know they can change icon, because very few programs offer alternate icons. I can only list two games which I remember having it. The Petz series, and Megaman X6.

abstauber

I tried to give this a go as well.

Here's a quick test:

edit:
Tweaked the gradient       |       Made the cup take up more space of the square

one last edit with the classic CJ cup:

Source in Inkscape in case anyone likes to tinker with it.
http://shatten.sonores.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/ags_icon.zip

Danvzare

I rather like it.
It's got that overused minimalist thing going on. But it's not TOO minimalistic, because it uses a nice gradient and skewered angle. Which is why I rather like it.
Give it about ten to twenty years though, and all icons and logos will become overly complex again, and I'll be complaining about that being overused. (laugh)

I actually like this new icon more than any of the other AGS Icons (even the one currently being used).
I'm not fond of that classic CJ cup though. It clashes too much.

abstauber

Thanks for the feedback, although it seems like I'm a little late to jump on the bandwagon.
I admit the main inspiration came from my mobile phone - not to mention the inkscape tutorial. :)

And who knows, maybe even pixely Win 3.11 icons might see a comeback :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk