New icon for the AGS Editor [HELP PLEASE]

Started by ChamberOfFear, Wed 19/04/2017 14:49:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Thank you, personally I like that color better :).

One (hopefully final) request, could you make a variant with original tilt but darker color, since you and ChamberOfFear seem to like that kind of tilt?

I would just test how the actual icon looks like.

LameNick

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

ChamberOfFear

I think I like the "ags_cup_screen_06_256x_unmirrored_darker_RGB" best personally, that mirroring will probably work better when scaled to smaller dimensions as well I think.

Crimson Wizard

Ok, choose which you like more and lets push it into repository.

ChamberOfFear

LameNick, could you make a copy of ags_cup_screen_06_256x_unmirrored_darker_RGB.png into all the different dimensions?

LameNick

The PNG dimensions should be square, however the icon it self is taller then wider, not sure if thats a problem.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/dbgilp
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

cat

I find the discussion hard to follow because every new icon requires everyone looking at the thread to download and extract zip files. Would you mind including screenshots or similar directly in the post?

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Thu 27/04/2017 16:46:50
I find the discussion hard to follow because every new icon requires everyone looking at the thread to download and extract zip files. Would you mind including screenshots or similar directly in the post?
I've also been having this problem, but I thought I was the only one that wasn't really willing to download every single icon, and so I kept my mouth shut.
But seeing as I'm not the only one, I'd like to echo your statement by saying that I too would like to see some actual screenshots.

ChamberOfFear

I'm sorry guys but as was implied with Crimson Wizard's last post the latest changes were going to be pushed to the master branch of the source code, and now they are. I have now moved on to other tasks and projects that I cannot possibly divert my attention from, making montages of random situations where the icon is showing takes more than I am currently willing to offer of my limited spare time.

I'm honestly a little perplexed that you waited this long to speak, based on what you're saying you've clearly been following this thread, and I wrote this 5-6 days ago.
Quote from: ChamberOfFear on Sat 22/04/2017 20:47:04
If anyone wants to see what the icon looks like under specific circumstances I can provide screen shots if they're unable to check out the dev branch themselves.

If anyone wants to see what it looks like, work more on this or make changes, you can download the icon here.

PS: I forgot to thank abstauer and LameNick for their help, so thank you guys. I credited them in the commit message.

Peder 🚀

I know this has now already been merged into master, however I still feel I should voice my opinion.

Personally I dislike the logo itself, and even more so the "improved" icon, and feel we should rather do a more retro style logo focusing on the origins of AGS and pixel art
(even though many of us, including me, want AGS to evolve to become a more modern friendly engine with multi platform support etc).

CaesarCub did this one in less than 5 minutes yet I feel this one portrays AGS much better than the current one.

Crimson Wizard

We can change the icon. But why these opinions are always stated after someone makes a change already? The logo has been there for two years. I was asked to change the icon to match the logo when I was releasing 3.4.0 (a year ago), but I did not feel like making one on my own, so I left old one for a while. I am not a confident artist myself, all I can do is wait until someone suggests their work for me to put into program. In two years no one did.

I cannot help but wonder why is all the changes to AGS looks are so erratic... people are refusing to talk until someone makes a move (probably seeing that no one else does).

E: That may be ironic, but the only reason why I wanted to change the splash was that I did not have original logo source (unflattened graphic document), and that was very difficult for me to update version number on it. If not that, we would probably have same logo as in 3.2.1 still.

Peder 🚀

I would've brought my opinion in sooner, but I've been too busy lately to pay much attention to the forums.
I understand your frustration with this Crimson, so if not now, I think this is definitely something to put on the "todo list" for a potential AGS4.

Saying that, this change obviously makes sense, and for all I know I'm the only one who dislikes the logo ;).
(One dislike being I get too much of windows office 365 feel from it)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Peder on Sun 30/04/2017 22:01:17
I understand your frustration with this Crimson, so if not now, I think this is definitely something to put on the "todo list" for a potential AGS4.

I do not see much problem with changing it again now, because the 3.4.1 I want to release is still in beta stage and will be for at least a month more, I think.

It's just that the whole process is silly: someone wants to change an icon, then someone does not like it, and repeat.

I guess we applied it too fast, but then again, this new icon is just a logical continuation of a new splash/logo, and new logo was introduced back in ... 2014(!)

Cassiebsg

I remember something about files being able to carry more than one icon... maybe put one as default and a few other choices in for the user to pick from?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Peder 🚀

Yeah I vaguely remembered mention about this splash screen way back, turns out I even voted myself ;).

Multiple icons should be a no no imo.. we already have multiple icons/logos in use to represent AGS across the site/forums and in the editor which is another thing I don't like.
The site/forum logo is completely different to the favicon used and again completely different to the logo/icon in the editor.
We really should come up with an icon/logo that can be used everywhere, instead of having different ones everywhere..  ??? :-\

Danvzare

Quote from: Peder on Sun 30/04/2017 22:01:17
Saying that, this change obviously makes sense, and for all I know I'm the only one who dislikes the logo ;).
(One dislike being I get too much of windows office 365 feel from it)
You're not the only one. I dislike it because I dislike the whole flat look that seems to be going around on logos nowadays. But I've kept my mouth shut, because no one else has mentioned it, and I know the logo needed updating after all these years.

Also, I realize I probably just dislike change. So with that in mind. I dislike the new logo, but I'm keeping an open mind and trying to welcome it. :)

Radiant

Quote from: Peder on Sun 30/04/2017 21:25:16
Personally I dislike the logo itself, and even more so the "improved" icon, and feel we should rather do a more retro style logo focusing on the origins of AGS and pixel art
(even though many of us, including me, want AGS to evolve to become a more modern friendly engine with multi platform support etc).

CaesarCub did this one in less than 5 minutes yet I feel this one portrays AGS much better than the current one.
I like this icon and would be happy to see it in the next non-beta version of AGS.

Khris

I had a go at designing an icon that follows the circle trend:

Here it is in the wild:

And here's a 16x16 version:
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/TCwAb84.png[/imgzoom]

Thoughts?

Click'd

Looks good, but I wouldn't know that this is supposed to be a cup if presented without context.

Gurok

I tested the 16x16 version out in Windows 10. It doesn't look bad to me:

Spoiler
Side note: I thought I was the only one left using Sunbird! (No, I will not use a plugin.) Also, is that FDFormat or something to the left?
[close]
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk