Window remains blank, but background music is playing

Started by MitchCookie, Wed 19/04/2017 19:20:15

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchCookie

Hi there,

I recently got Technobabylon, but it's not working as it should. When I (try to) start the game, the window remains blank (black in fullscreen or white in windowed mode). The background music does play though, making it seem like the game is actually running, but just not showing anything.

I contacted Wadjet Eye Games for support and tried everything they suggested:
- Different graphics filtering setting (specifically 'none', max nearest-neighbour filtering, 2x anti-aliasing, 8x anti-aliasing and almost everything inbetween.)
- Both DirectDraw 5 and Direct3D 9 graphics drivers
- Both fullscreen and windowed mode

Nothing seemed to help though. Here are some of my specs:

4K native resolution monitor
NVidia GTX960M
Intel HD Integrated Graphics 530

I hope that's enough information.

Cheers,
Reinier

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum, or if it should be posted in Advanced Technical Forum, but this one seemed appropriate

Crimson Wizard

Hmm... problems like that may take few shots in the dark before finding cause and solution.

A question to Dave Gilbert, or anyone else who knows the game specifics: are game graphics 16-bit or 32-bit?

MitchCookie

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 19/04/2017 19:36:03
are game graphics 16-bit or 32-bit?

Idk if this helps, but: There is a checkbox for downgrading graphics from 32-bit to 16-bit. I tried this and it worked one time, but on a second attempt the game went blank again.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MitchCookie on Wed 19/04/2017 20:30:59
Idk if this helps, but: There is a checkbox for downgrading graphics from 32-bit to 16-bit. I tried this and it worked one time, but on a second attempt the game went blank again.

If "downgrade" checkbox is available, then that's probably 32-bit game, but that still needs confirmation.

Anyway, I forgot to ask what operating system are you running? If that's Windows 10, I heard there was an issue that DirectX 9 games don't work on it (because DX11 is not compatible with DX9).
Here is one discussion thread I found before: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2756506/directx-games-work-windows.html

MitchCookie

Oops, forgot to mention my OS! I knew I was forgetting something :grin:

I'm running Windows 10. I'll have a look at that thread when I get home later today.

Dave Gilbert

TB is a 32 bit game.

(typing on phone. sorry for brevity)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk