MAGS May "The Fickle Hand Of Fate" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Mon 01/05/2017 04:47:11

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS May

Magic-8-Ball by Mandle
2 (20%)
The Fickle Hands of Fate by LostTrainDude
8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Thu 15/06/2017 06:06:19

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Magic-8-Ball by Mandle - 2 votes
• The Fickle Hands of Fate by LostTrainDude - 8 votes

Well done LTD. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for July.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Magic-8-Ball by Mandle
The Fickle Hands of Fate by LostTrainDude

Topic: The Fickle Hand Of Fate
This month's guidelines were set by Mandle and Blondbraid

The theme is fully open to interpretation in any way: Fate may play a hand in the game's outcome, the entire game could be on rails driven entirely by Fate, Fate could betray the player, or we could discover that there is "No fate but what we make."

One particularly intriguing idea Blondbraid had was a game where a self-fulfilling prophecy, as in "An Appointment In Samarra" pictured above, could be the core story of the game but, given the interactive nature of games, this could lead to some very interesting situations: Every branch created by the player's actions could still somehow end up delivering them into the hands of inescapable Fate, or they could find ways to avoid or somehow trick Fate along the way.

Hoping for some fateful, fatalisic, or even just plain fatal entries...

Ending:  May 31st

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Stupot

Any early interest?
It's worth noting that the Adventure Jam 2017 starts on the 5th of May and lasts for two weeks. So, why not enter both with the same game? That's what I did two years ago.

LostTrainDude

Super-early WIP

Please let me introduce you to Fate. Oh the irony (laugh)
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Stupot

Nice stuff LTD. How's that WIP coming along?
Anyone else in?

LostTrainDude

As always, things started escalating (roll)

Worldbuilding in progress:

Also, poor art skills don't make it any easier :P
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

selmiak

LostTrainDude

Thanks selmiak :)

I wonder if I'll ever make her walk by the end of this MAGS (roll)

Anyway, since I can't seem to stay focused on a single task, here is a short guitar track I recorded to help me set the mood of what I have in mind.

Blondbraid

Looks like a cool entry, LostTrainDude!  8-)

I do hope we'll see more entries this month than the last though...

LostTrainDude

A quick update. I know the month's not over yet, but I don't think I will make it.
As CaptainD already told me "Might have helped if you'd kept it under 100 locations"  (laugh) (laugh)

Thing is: I'm not planning many locations, but I want them to make sense.
The plot, unless I have some kind of epiphany later on, is simple but I'd rather think a little more about the actual world it is set in and craft hopefully clever puzzles.

Also I'm making use of tools I have never really used before, such as articy:draft (the now "outdated" version 2, which I got for very little money on a sale they did on Steam, that now doesn't show it as available anymore).
I don't know if it's slowing me down or not, but it should help me keep things organized while not compromising the "improv" design approach I always had :)

Oh, and screenshot, 'cos why not?! Here is an example of articy:draft's way of creating dialogues

(In case you can make sense out of the images in the portraits, they are indeed placeholders)

Slasher

LostTrainDude

You know what they say: Keeping it simple is sometimes the best.. and trying to include too much in the time provided is not such a good idea if you want to make the deadline, especially if you are not that fast..

Perhaps you could make it short it for the MAG (like a Demo) and produce a longer game as a normal completed game..

slasher

Blondbraid

I agree with slasher there, a short demo or even an unfinished game is better than no entries at all. It'd be a real shame if you can't get at least something out before the deadline.
I also hope someone else also will try to make an entry so that there will be an actual vote this month.  :-\

Stupot

I hope you can squeeze something out LTD.

It seems may might be another quiet one.
Let's all  try to make June a bumper bonanza! Tell your estranged AGS friends, tweet, retweet, sort out your teams now and let's breathe new life into this wonderful contest.

LostTrainDude

At last some props began to make their way to Fate's place.
Fingers crossed for more  (laugh)

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/ybyFb80.png[/imgzoom]

Thanks everybody for the support, I hope to not let you down and at least provide something playable!

Slasher

Hi LostTrainDude

anybody producing a fairly well put together game in such a time limit is never a let down.

Keep at it mate (nod)

Stupot

24 hours left.

How's it coming along LTD?
Or any other secret entries?

LostTrainDude

Something will be here 24 hours from now (wtf)
Cannot guarantee the quality. It's going to be pretty short and easy.

A playable teaser, if you will. (laugh)

Mandle

I started a game idea about an hour ago to give LTD something to win against or just a game to fill the void with...

About half finished...

Mandle

DONE!!!

A game made in pretty much exactly 4 hours start to finish:

MAGIC-8-BALL

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME

Ask the Magic-8-Ball any YES or NO question and it will reply.
But tempting the fickle hand of fate too much could be a bad idea...

LostTrainDude

I should finish in a couple of hours (except disasters)!

Thanks Mandle for joining and congratulations for the release! :D

LostTrainDude

THE FICKLE HANDS OF FATE
A short single-click point and click adventure game

[imgzoom]http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/images/games/2159_1.png[/imgzoom][imgzoom]http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/images/games/2159_2.png[/imgzoom]

Fate is finalizing her last recording in the steeple of an abandoned church in a village she is about to leave. Then, off to another city and another recording: her search is not over yet.

----

Phew. Did it in the end.
In case anybody may be wondering, yes I have reduced the scope A LOT indeed (laugh)
Hoping to make something more out of this concept :)

Thanks everybody for the support! I'm really tired but happy to have pushed myself a little further than I thought.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk