Was it just nostalgia? Playing the remastered Full Throttle...

Started by Phemar, Fri 12/05/2017 11:49:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Phemar

I have such fond memories of this game. The art is fantastic, the voice acting superb and the cinematic feel is pretty decent.

But looking back at the puzzle design and overall gameplay, this game has so many flaws. As someone who has dabbled in adventure game design, I couldn't help but notice all the terrible design elements and think of ways I would have handled it differently.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Is it just nostalgia that makes me love this game?

Danvzare

As someone who still hasn't gotten around to playing Full Throttle yet (I played the intro and never got around to playing it again), I can't properly answer your question.
But there are plenty of people who still love this game and it's remake, so it can't all be nostalgia.

Mandle

I really like Full Throttle, but it's probably my least favorite Lucasarts game. It was made as an attempt to bridge the gap between hardcore "nerdy" adventure gamers and the "general public" (who I guess they thought were all heavy-metal fans, Harley Davidson riders, and/or Mad Max fanatics...)

Hence a lot of the "puzzles" are just kick-down-the-door kinda stuff...

Still a fun game with fantastic art, but yeah...gimme DOTT or Sam And Max (even The Dig) any day of the week...

CaptainD

I'm with Mandle - I enjoyed playing Full Throttle in the main but I enjoyed it less than Zak, Monkey Island, The Dig, Indy, etc.  (The very first puzzle had me for a while - I thought I had a buggy version of the game initially!!  :grin:)

Danvzare

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 12/05/2017 12:06:56
(The very first puzzle had me for a while - I thought I had a buggy version of the game initially!!  :grin:)
A little off topic here, but related to what you said. I remember being stumped on the first puzzle of Maniac Mansion for weeks on end, and even started to think that it was just an uncompleteable joke game that was put into DOTT just for laughs.
Then I finally found the key under the doormat. Thank goodness for youthful persistence.

Mandle

I just remembered that Full Throttle has probably the worst puzzle of any Lucasarts game!

That frickin' Old Mine Road sequence! GAWD, I HATE THAT BIT!!!

It's not telegraphed at all what you should be doing to beat it, and watching the cutscene animation over and over is not only excruiating but also takes so long that it reduces the chance you are going to piece the solution together by noticing repeatable patterns.

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk