Large "room" screen. Thoughts on lighting? :)

Started by KyriakosCH, Wed 17/05/2017 07:59:54

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Not sure if in the current setting the water (and even parts of the sky) are visible... Thoughts? :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

The sky looks almost completely black to me, which is ok. It suits it. :grin:
The water on the other hand... what water?

KyriakosCH

^ You are right := Water is almost invisible currently...!

I will try to fix it and post a new version later on :D

Modeled after the local promenade, for my - always not completed - horror game...

nihilyst

The moon looks quite dark. The apartment buildings in the background look like they're way below the water line, which would be strange. All in all, it's kinda dark. I had to scale it up to see the details, although in full screen mode that shouldn't be that much of a problem.

gameboy

I feel the composition would be improved by making the whole moon fit in the frame. Having half of it cut off by the edge deeply bothers me, for some reason. :P

Cassiebsg

Also make the moon a light source, because it is, and add a blueish color to the "night".
Atm the moon looks more like another "earth" planet, rather than the moon.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

KyriakosCH

Hm, current (new) version is:

Lighting still is bad, imo. Moreso shadows (and currently i likely overdid it with using both lamps and custom light-sources...) :=

Cassiebsg

Try adding some volumetric lighting/shadow (check some tutorials on youtube). 
Also, there is still no water? Is that just an empty hole?

One thing I'm having trouble figuring out in this picture, is the light source. There seems to be light/shadows coming from several different directions. Or are those not shadows but spotted texture on the "pool" border?

What are you using as light sources?

Danvzare

I like the new blue hue you've added to it.
But the water is still invisible and I'm going to have to agree with gameboy about not cutting off the top part of the moon.

Cassiebsg

Better, but the lamps still need that blurry feel, like you gave the moon.
Still can't see the water, unless that blue "field" at the bottom is the water, in that case why is it like a 2meter fall? The water should be reflecting the lights and moon, and be "wavy".

KyriakosCH

It is actually a 4 meter fall (well... at least more than 2), just like it is in reality in the promenade here. You fall=you die :=

While having a gimp effect for the lamp-light will be easy, it won't be as easy for the water, but i suppose i will use a water texture or water blender settings and hope it doesn't take 3 days to render :D

KyriakosCH

Anyway, the same but with a cheap gimp light flare effect :D

Next i will work on the water...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk