I never wanted to write these words down for you...

Started by Haggis, Thu 18/05/2017 19:57:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Haggis

The Seattle in the sky takes another one :~(
Dude had one hell of a voice. Tragic.
RIP Chris Cornell - my music hero.

SilverSpook

Such a blow.  I survived the 90's in high school thanks to Chris Cornell and the like.

I'm sure he's blowing up the outside underworld.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: SilverSpook on Thu 18/05/2017 20:12:25Such a blow.  I survived the 90's in high school thanks to Chris Cornell and the like

Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam defined me in high school. That Seattle sound was my life. First we lost Layne and now Chris. Hang in there Eddie. I can't lose you too.

Sad, sad day.

A few of my friends (back in Michigan) were at the Fox for that show last night. Can't imagine what that feels like.

DISCLAIMER
I didn't forget Kurt (Nirvana) and I rather liked them they just weren't as major to me as the ones I mentioned.

Haggis

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 18/05/2017 22:17:46
Hang in there Eddie. I can't lose you too.

That goes for you too Mark Lanegan!

I was just a little too young to fully comprehend the 90s Seattle scene at the time but was fortunate enough to see Soundgarden in 2013, and Pearl Jam a few years later. It still feels unreal, seemed like everything was falling into place - Soundgarden back, talk of new Temple of the Dog material, Audioslave burying the hatchet, his voice soaring again... but you just can't know what's going on in someone's head.  :(

dactylopus

We have fallen on black days.

Seattle's frontmen seem to be at more risk than other band members.  We need to protect Eddie.  Mark Lanegan and Jerry Cantrell, too.  And don't forget Dave Grohl.

All of the icons of my teen years are going away.

SilverSpook

I wouldn't worry about Dave too much.  He always seemed like the sunnier of the bunch.  (Knock on wood).

dactylopus

Quote from: SilverSpook on Fri 19/05/2017 01:22:09
I wouldn't worry about Dave too much.  He always seemed like the sunnier of the bunch.  (Knock on wood).

True, but accidents happen.  And yes, I knocked.

selmiak

RIP man!
Why did Chris have to do this?
I always liked soundgarden, and the weird video for black hole sun is an unforgettable experience!

Atelier

Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam defined me in high school.

It's strange how you mention Nirvana not being one of the major bands of the Seattle set for you because for me it is Soundgarden. The trio that I started listening to when I was a teenager were Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam (drunk thread), and Nirvana (unfortunately though that was not during the 90s!).

Although I had heard of Chris Cornell his death recently got me to listen to Soundgarden. What a vocal range, I love it. I'd think one of the best things about being a musician is that you know your voice can be heard by people who didn't hear it when you were living. So here is to many happy years of enjoying it :)

DBoyWheeler

Damn!  Our childhoods are taking such heavy hits these days.

(I'm still reeling from the loss of Christine Cavanaugh back in about 2014--she did the voice of Chuckie in Rugrats, Bunnie in Sonic SatAM, Gosalyn in Darkwing Duck... the list goes on)

Our cherished memories are taking such heavy punches in the gut nowadays.

dactylopus

Quote from: Atelier on Tue 06/06/2017 22:57:27
Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam defined me in high school.

It's strange how you mention Nirvana not being one of the major bands of the Seattle set for you because for me it is Soundgarden. The trio that I started listening to when I was a teenager were Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam (drunk thread), and Nirvana (unfortunately though that was not during the 90s!).

Although I had heard of Chris Cornell his death recently got me to listen to Soundgarden. What a vocal range, I love it. I'd think one of the best things about being a musician is that you know your voice can be heard by people who didn't hear it when you were living. So here is to many happy years of enjoying it :)

You asked a question in your drunk Pearl Jam thread, and I thought it best to reply here instead of a thread that has been dead for 3 years.

I have seen Pearl Jam live.  It was back in 2000 in Atlanta on the Binaural tour.  I wish I had seen them earlier, when I liked them more, but Binaural was the beginning of their decline for me.  They were once my favorite band (high school in the mid 90's).  They are still one of the best, if you discount everything made this millennium (not that they don;t have good songs, they are just fewer and much further between).  I was in the 10th row at that show, and it's definitely a memorable experience.

Unfortunately, I never saw Soundgarden or Temple of the Dog live.  I would have loved either of them.  I was so into the Seattle sound during the 90's, and it is still some of my favorite music to listen to today.  Chris' dynamic voice was one of the best features of the scene.  His writing was among the best, and his guitar skills were fantastic as well.  A true talent lost.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk