Author Topic: Dysmaton - formerly known as "Forgotten City"  (Read 10033 times)

Dysmaton - formerly known as "Forgotten City"
« on: 21 May 2017, 07:17 »
&feature=youtu.be

Silver Spook Games Presents

"Creating new homeworlds always means a lot of trial and error.  Our world... well, this one's an error."

Settlers of a new space colony got off to a rocky start, but eventually built up a happy, thriving metropolis... Then the machines took over. 

Noria, a young engineer, lost everything the day the automated police forces went haywire.  Now, on this failed new homeworld, she needs to survive the hostile environment, dodge the malevolent machines lurking everywhere, and manage her own painful memories of lost family and broken hopes.

The Creators

Knux Vee One (Chaos Nova) - Writing
Laura Loolaid (Chaos Nova) - Writing
Christian Miller (Neofeud) - Art, Programming

Thanks for stopping by, guys!
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2017, 07:25 by SilverSpook »

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
Re: Forgotten City (Successor to Neofeud!)
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2017, 09:45 »
WwooooW :) New game already!  (nod)

Looking gorgeous!
Good luck with the project!  :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2017, 10:19 »
Oh, how exciting it looks!!!  ;-D

And I'm still waiting for Neofeud to pass Steam Greenlight.  :(

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2017, 20:06 »
@Blondbraid: Thanks!  And yes, I'm still waiting for Neofeud to pass Steam Greenlight also! >_<

@Cassie: Thanks!  Yes, I can't stop making games!  It is a demonic possession! :)

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
  • Mandle worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2017, 01:02 »
Looking quite breathtaking! You're on a roll!

CrashPL

• The dinosaur guy
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    •  
    • I can help with animation
    •  
    • I can help with characters
    •  
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with scripting
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
  • CrashPL worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2017, 09:49 »
You're on fire, man! Looks great so far, keep it up! :D

Will it have some connections to Neofeud, other than the setting (characters, events etc.)? :)

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2017, 11:19 »
That certainly was quick.

Again, from what I saw of the early version of Neofeud, I have a lot of faith that this'll be amazing.

Just thought I'd let you know that, if you ever want me to give any help (whether that be giving feedback or outsourcing any of the script to me), feel free to give me a shout.

Also, do you want me to promote Forgotten City through my social media outlets as well, like I did with Neofeud?

Ibispi

• I can help with making music
    •  
    •  
  • Ibispi worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2017, 00:15 »
Looks great, SilverSpook. Keep up the good work.

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2017, 02:38 »
Thanks guys for the kind feedback!

@CrashPL: We're currently in the concept phase but it looks like it might be connected to the world of Neofeud. :)   Haven't quite nailed the concept down yet though.

« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2017, 06:30 »
I'll be livestreaming development of Forgotten City tomorrow at 3 PM EST if anyone wants to tune in. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/twiliteminotaur/live

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2017, 07:25 »
Sounds great and hope you put it online later.  (nod)

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2017, 03:20 »

Today's art progress on the adventure game successor to Neofeud! Things just got a whole lot more H.R. Giger-esque.   I wasn't really feeling this city scene, until my subconscious vomited up that somewhat Alien Covenant-like spacecraft / advanced alien building sitting way in the back there.  I call it, "The Anomaly", for now.  :)

@Cassie: Thanks!  As requested, here is the livestream of working on this.

« Reply #12 on: 03 Jun 2017, 11:23 »

I think the only background that's ever taken me longer was The Neofeud Sky Palace.

Worth it, though, I think!

Slasher

• slasher
    •  
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
  • Slasher worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jun 2017, 12:42 »
Massive thumbs up (nod)

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #14 on: 03 Jun 2017, 16:10 »
Definitely worth it. (nod)

« Reply #15 on: 04 Jun 2017, 10:40 »
Wow, that's impressive! And all the details, I can see how much time and effort went into this!

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
  • CaptainD worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!CaptainD worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #16 on: 04 Jun 2017, 12:26 »
Wow that's fantastic!  So much going in on this scene.

« Reply #17 on: 04 Jun 2017, 15:12 »
holy cow, so this is what your up to? ;)  keep discovering little gems about this forum

Man, cant wait for this, its like a mix of bladerunner, constantine, starwars, terminator and much more..  so many ingredients here that I love.

Whats your time frame on this one?

Love the city image there, you have really gone above and beyond with the finer detailing and shading, in particular the left half of the image.
This must have taken a while and as I just saw you mention in another thread I can understand this level of detailing taking a week or more.

Super well done, I will continue to keep an eye on this.

« Reply #18 on: 04 Jun 2017, 20:58 »
Thanks everyone for your support and kind feedback!

@Tycho: It took about a week to get this entire thing done.  The way I design, I kind of do concept art + the game art simultaneously, so part of the process here was just figuring out what the game itself was going to look like, before going into the, "churning out the art" phase.  This scene in particular is the biggest scenes, and so I wanted to really nail it, to identify the look, the feel, and to light the player's interest to keep on going with this game.

You're absolutely right about the Bladerunner, Terminator, Star Wars, and other influences.  If you haven't yet already, I would check out Neofeud, which has all of those influences, and more (it's almost a love letter to Terminator and Bladerunner). ;)  http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54627.0

« Reply #19 on: 09 Jun 2017, 20:36 »
I will be live-streaming work on this game tomorrow, 3PM Eastern Time!  Come hang out!

http://youtube.com/twiliteminotaur/live

Re: Forgotten City
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jun 2017, 00:06 »

Today's progress -- spaceports and webcam-face scout robots!

You can see me livestreaming painting this over here:

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2017, 08:05 »
I'll be live-showing and live-telling tomorrow at 9PM EST as I livestream work on "Forgotten City", the Silver Spook Games MAGS June entry.  ;)

Link to the channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/twiliteminotaur/videos

Here's a sneak peek for now though:

This is just the tip of the post-apocalyptic sunset-tastic iceberg, comrades.  Just the tip!  ;)

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2017, 18:50 »
That is a gorgeous sunset! 8-)

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jun 2017, 00:03 »
Thanks Blondbraid!

The latest and greatest of sunset-pocalypse!  Now with 200% more decimated space port, spacecraft and broken unobtanium-pipelines spewing radioactive green goo!

« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2017, 00:05 by SilverSpook »

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jun 2017, 00:05 »
You can see the livestream of me working on this MAGS June entry here:

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jun 2017, 00:40 »
Being a small goth chick in the robopocalypse, with homicidal death machines everywhere, it goes without saying, you're going to have to do a lot of running. :)

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jun 2017, 10:07 »
Looks cool, the trenchcoat really gives off Matrix-vibes!

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2017, 06:58 »
Haha, thanks Blondbraid.  I do love the Matrix, if it hasn't been obvious! :) 

(Crosspost from MAGS)

Here's a better illustration of why young cyberpunk girls definitely should not skip cardio day in event of Amazon buying out the US Military.  You won't have time to figure out that that Prime Drone that's flying your pumpkin spice latte to your house that you bought with Universal Basic Income?  It's actually there to vivisect you to steal your organs for use by richer old people Amazon-ordering kidneys and blood transfusions from young people to achieve immortality.

Forgotten City

"We Want Your Organs And Bodily Fluids.  All of them."

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2017, 19:36 »

"My vision is augmented."

Planning some (hopefully) really fun game dynamics with this, one of several of the main character's augmentations.  Along with a brand-spanking new stealth system that (hopefully) won't implode your computer and the presently instantiated universe with the convoluted programming needed to get a stealth system to work in AGS.  Also, she will of course have the ability to run, run, run like she's being chased by killer DARPA-bots, or like there's a Depeche Mode sale at Hot Topic.

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jun 2017, 13:30 »
This is looking absolutely fab so far, fella.

I realise that this will be quite a way away yet (and I'm not even 100% that this is possible), but are you thinking of doing a bundle with both Neofeud and Forgotten City at a slightly reduced price, or something along those lines?

I hope you don't mind me throwing in my two cents.

« Reply #30 on: 25 Jun 2017, 19:20 »
Thanks, mate!

I think one day a bundle sale with Neofeud and Forgotten City is in the cards, but I'd need a non-demo version of Forgotten City to sell.  If I make Forgotten City the same length as Neofeud, then it's not going to be finished for some time (months, possibly a year+). I know there's a big summer sale going on now, so maybe next summer. :)

Thanks for the input!

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jun 2017, 13:12 »
The heat-vision looks cool! :)

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jun 2017, 02:25 »
Thanks man!  I just realized it's essentially going to double all my work, but one suffer's for one's coolness, as they say! :)

"Survivor Punk-Wonderwoman resists the darkness of the patriarchy!  ...Oh shit, less conductance, more RESISTANCE!!!"

selmiak

• ǝsıɔɹǝxǝ ʞɔǝu puɐ uıɐɹq
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    •  
    • I can help with web design
    •  
  • selmiak worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #33 on: 30 Jun 2017, 07:27 »
try recording an action in Photoshop for the heat vision recolor and apply that to every thing that needs it. Or maybe a hue/saturation adjustment layer over everything that needs it helps. maybe.

Quote from: ClickClickClick
If you kill everyone there's nobody left to punish you.

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #34 on: 01 Jul 2017, 23:27 »
Nice and smooth :)
Love watching your progress.

« Reply #35 on: 01 Jul 2017, 23:48 »
Thanks for the tip selmiak, and thanks for the feedback, Cassie!  Just one more day till the demo comes out! (July 2)

Latest and greatest here for ya.

"Citizen, you are t---t--tt-t-trespassing on private property. I am r-r-r-required by law to neutralize you with non-lethal force."

« Reply #36 on: 02 Jul 2017, 00:54 »
That force looks lethal enough to me.  Unless those are rubber bullets...

« Reply #37 on: 02 Jul 2017, 03:50 »
Yeah, the next line is, "Jesus! That anti-aircraft gun is your idea of 'non-lethal force'!?"

« Reply #38 on: 03 Jul 2017, 11:38 »
I don't have energy to social mediate this thing right now, just spent the last 36 hours cramming as much as I possibly could into it, along with Mrs. Silver Spook who soldiered through the voice acting with much chocolate.

But here you go, AGSers:

The Forgotten City Demo!

« Reply #39 on: 04 Jul 2017, 02:56 »
Forgotten City also has a TRAILER! :D

&feature=youtu.be

Creamy

• I can help with animation
    •  
    • I can help with characters
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #40 on: 05 Jul 2017, 20:40 »
I've finished the MAGS demo.
It looks great but feels incomplete gameplay and story-wise. I love what I saw though. It's a glimpse of something bigger and truly fascinating. It gave me one more reason to play Neofeud so I finally bought it :P

« Reply #41 on: 05 Jul 2017, 20:49 »
Hey Creamy, thanks for playing Forgotten City!

Yes, the story itself definitely is nowhere near complete as I intended this to be a full game in the future, hopefully around the same length as Neofeud (10+ hours).

Since we had a month (slightly more for this competition) I spent a lot of time just trying to get a small piece of the game working and looking right, especially the infrared vision mode and stealth mechanics.  So a lot of the gameplay isn't there, especially after the first two areas.  There will be much more to the gameplay in the future if this becomes a full game.

Also, thanks a ton for buying Neofeud!  I do mean it when I say that buying Neofeud helps to get Forgotten City done, because right now the finances are not going to pan out for me to finish Forgotten City.  So thanks for that!

« Reply #42 on: 08 Jul 2017, 06:01 »
I will be doing live gamedev on this tomorrow, and in addition, I will be looking for a new title! "Forgotten City" was, as mentioned, always the working title, and so I am taking suggestions for the new name. :) 

« Reply #43 on: 08 Jul 2017, 16:32 »
Before anyone else makes the joke - Neofeud 2: Electric Boogaloo.

On a more serious note, I'd think about some sort of thematic portmanteau (like what you did with 'Neofeud') or a title along the lines of 'The Runner' in keeping with the main character's role. Hell, you could even do both in a 'Title - Subtitle' format, like 'Neofeuder - The Runner'.

Hopefully, that makes some sort of sense.

« Reply #44 on: 08 Jul 2017, 18:50 »
I enjoyed that video.  Love the music.  Looks like the game is coming along nicely.

« Reply #45 on: 08 Jul 2017, 19:07 »
@alphadalekben: Haha!  Yes, a portmanteau or made up word that's suggestive / evocative would work here.

@dactylopus: Thanks!  I'm glad you liked it. 

« Reply #46 on: 09 Jul 2017, 00:36 »

The drone mothership.  (WIP)

AKA, an artist's rendering of Amazon taking over the world.

EDIT: Here's the livestream of making this background.

&t=1848s
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2017, 07:11 by SilverSpook »

« Reply #47 on: 10 Jul 2017, 13:44 »
Extremely impressed with this entry, although it was quite short. The time gone into its graphics and general presentation amaze me. I love the attention to details on the various animation sequences, the backdrops where awe inspiring.
Just the whole atmosphere was spot one and that surreal/grungy sound track playing in the background really added a cherry on top.
I love how you explored a variety of interesting mechanics from body parts system up to infra red viewing mode.
I was surprised to see most of it was voice acted too, however I thought one of the characters accent/culture of language was a bit over done in a stereotypical way
All in all a fine experience set in a believable world and if this demo is anything to go on I will most surely give the full game a solid play through. I just wish has been a bit of a longer experience.

And really amazing work getting this to such a state in so little time. Well done

« Reply #48 on: 11 Jul 2017, 03:58 »
Thanks Tycho for the kind feedback!

Yes, I certainly wish there could've been more of this game for the competition.  Rest assured, if there is support for the game (and it seems like a lot of folks want it to happen), then there will be much more where this demo/prototype came from! :D

« Reply #49 on: 12 Jul 2017, 07:37 »
Quick question: what do you guys think about these potential names.

Kernel Failure. Kernelclasm. Oblitera. Annihila.

I'm leaning toward the first one myself.

« Reply #50 on: 12 Jul 2017, 09:22 »
Whilst I'm leaning towards the first one myself as well, it depends on what exactly you'd want from the title.

If you want something closer to 'Neofeud' as a title, I'd suggest the last two or another variation of.

The only one that I'm really not keen on 'Kernelclasm' as that sounds too much like a portmanteau without sounding like a real word.

You could possibly even have some sort of Latin or faux-Latin translation of the first one (as 'Neofeud' has that kind of feel to me), which is 'Kernel Defectum' in Latin.

Hopefully, all this rambling has been useful to you.

« Reply #51 on: 14 Jul 2017, 21:55 »
I've just played the demo, well done! Noria's augmentations and the stealth aspect of the game are nicely implemented, and promise to make for lots of interesting adventuring possibilities in the eventual full-length game. There was some heavy world-building in the dialogue and descriptions, but a demo needs to hook the audience in, and you've managed to establish an intriguing setting effectively across just a few rooms.

I'll follow this with interest, and expect lots more screenshots of majestic sunsets populated by terrifying spacecraft. :)

« Reply #52 on: 15 Jul 2017, 00:04 »
Thanks very much, alphadalekben, for the feedback and suggestions.

And thanks Pilchard for yours. :)  There'll be more more terrifying machines, although I can't promise the sun will be up. ;)

selmiak

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #53 on: 15 Jul 2017, 07:38 »

Longplay'd!
this is really fun. I wouldn't mind having 3-5 hiding spots for the stealth scene and/or some variety to it like corners or so.
Also I want to find out what happens to noria when she powers up lots of things with her aug but then runs out of power before powering up the final thing ;)

edit:
@SS:
In you last devstream you always read the lines that are later voice acted in the demo I just played. Do you stream how you work on the lines for the walker killerbot somewhere?
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2017, 07:56 by selmiak »

« Reply #54 on: 15 Jul 2017, 08:26 »
Wow, thanks a ton for doing that great playthrough, Selmiak!  Awesome intro, btw.

RE Stealth: Thanks for the feedback. I'm planning to rework a lot of how the stealth stuff works, do the Goldilocks thing (not to hard not to easy).  I kind of just had enough time to get that little bit out there and functioning in the game with virtually no testing, so yeah.

A big aspect of the game plan this point is to make having power and running out of power be a big issue, for sure. Having all the augs functioning all the time would make her kinda be able to Supergirl her way through many potential puzzles, negating the pnc adventuring. So yes, her running out of 'battery bars' on her technomagic is definitely going to be a thing.

RE Lines for the killer walker bot: I didn't actually stream working on the walker's dialog anywhere, no.  My writing process can be a bit slow so I don't usually do that live. Although I might throw some placeholder lines into AGS in a pinch, or go over some stuff I've already written to show how it goes from an MS Word or Google Doc to code.

selmiak

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #55 on: 15 Jul 2017, 08:47 »
All these plans make a great game for sho!
but I mean I'm very interested in how you work on the audioediting for the walker, all these FX on the voice, not the writing of the lines ;)

« Reply #56 on: 15 Jul 2017, 19:35 »
Ah, I see. ;) Well I can tell you that I put the voice through a vocoder, a bunch of chorus, and then chop it up / stretch it in Ableton Live to get that malfunctioning robot version.  You could also do it in Audition, Audacity, or I don't know what else audio editing tools are out nowadays.

EDIT: The name has now officially changed to "Dysmaton"!  Plus, the latest progress.

"The Kernel".
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2017, 12:01 by SilverSpook »

Re: Dysmaton - formerly known as "Forgotten City"
« Reply #57 on: 16 Jul 2017, 19:36 »
Cool artwork, as always!
And the title change is nice, it's good for games to have unusual words in the title if people google them.

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #58 on: 16 Jul 2017, 21:52 »
That's a lot of drones. 8-0
Nice with the title. (nod)

« Reply #59 on: 16 Jul 2017, 22:55 »
Thankd Blondbraid and Cassie. :)

Yes, I have a list of literally around 200 potential titles.  A lot of the potential titles are likely to become place / character / object / organization names in the game though, so it's not dozens of hours wasted. :)

« Reply #60 on: 17 Jul 2017, 02:52 »
Not a bad title at all.  For some reason I keep wanting to insert an "R" into it, Dysmatron.  Still, I like it.  It's original.

« Reply #61 on: 17 Jul 2017, 07:28 »
Yeah, I had about 200 name ideas, but I've settled on this for a few reasons.  "Dysmaton" is an utterly non-existent (not even in any other languge) word, it's short, it suggests dystopia / dysfunction, stuff going generally wrong or brokenness. And machines (automaton) being the root cause. Or alternatively, Dysma-ton 'the place of dismalness' (like Charleston, Kingston, Brighton).

Here's the updated title:

« Reply #62 on: 17 Jul 2017, 09:23 »
I like the new title. I was interested to see if / how you might have the portmanteau method, a la 'Neofeud'.

You've sort of answered this already, but are you using 'Forgotten City' in any way?

« Reply #63 on: 18 Jul 2017, 04:32 »
@alphadalekben: I'm not currently using "Forgotten City" right now, no.  I am listing Dysmaton on itch.io, the Silver Spook Games site, etc. as "Dysmaton - Formerly 'Forgotten City'" so that people who saw or played FC will know that Dysmaton is the same thing.  I suppose there might be a subtitle later if it makes sense.

« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2017, 22:51 by SilverSpook »

« Reply #64 on: 23 Jul 2017, 02:30 »

Latest progress on Dysmaton!  I call it, "Crashed and burnt."

Bonus: be the first to find and name all the Easter Eggs in the pic and get a shout out on the Dysmaton site. ;)
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2017, 02:33 by SilverSpook »

selmiak

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #65 on: 23 Jul 2017, 07:27 »
there is some giger imagery on on screen and a neufeud title screen, a green colored number matrix like the matrix, and some funny joysticks that are computer controllers, not spaceship controllers...

« Reply #66 on: 23 Jul 2017, 07:48 »
there is some giger imagery on on screen and a neufeud title screen, a green colored number matrix like the matrix, and some funny joysticks that are computer controllers, not spaceship controllers...

Very good eye, sir! Almost got'em all- but not quite! :D

« Reply #67 on: 23 Jul 2017, 10:42 »

Very good eye, sir! Almost got'em all- but not quite! :D
I spotted a Neofeud Easter egg too! :)

horusr

• Just joining everything for no reason.
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #68 on: 23 Jul 2017, 11:18 »
Is there a stick dog plays with a stick man sitting on floor?

« Reply #69 on: 23 Jul 2017, 11:46 »
@BlondBraid: ;)

@Horusr: Hm, I'm not sure what that is... Thanks for playing, though!

horusr

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #70 on: 23 Jul 2017, 12:10 »
It can be a cattoo, idk 8-0

selmiak

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #71 on: 23 Jul 2017, 19:17 »
there is some giger imagery on on screen

and a firefly title screen above it. No idea what is above the neofeud titlescreen though. the middle filebrowser folder structure is from some telnet bbs or so?
and you just mirrored the blue screen on the top row ;)

« Reply #72 on: 23 Jul 2017, 20:45 »
@Horusr: Ah, I see. :)

@Selmiak: Yep!  The one above the Neofeud screen is one.  I'm sure someone on the AGS board would know it. ;)  And once you figure that one out, there's one other Easter Egg.

« Reply #73 on: 23 Jul 2017, 21:05 »
The one above the Neofeud screen is one.  I'm sure someone on the AGS board would know it.
I'm 100% sure that Cassiebsg knows what it is, unless she has trouble reimagining it.

It's a great backround, so much detail, so many things to discover.

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #74 on: 23 Jul 2017, 22:09 »
I do have trouble reimagining it, yes... but yes, I thought it looked like the neothingy.... (roll)

Stupot

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #75 on: 24 Jul 2017, 00:07 »
Either I have a dirty mind or that is a cock 'n' balls beneath the Firefly screen.

[edit]Yep. Dirty mind. I've just realised that's the Giger image Selmiak mentioned :-:
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2017, 00:11 by Stupot+ »

« Reply #76 on: 24 Jul 2017, 07:41 »
@Hobo: Thanks! Took a while to work, and not quite finished yet. :)

Hm, there's still technically two Easter Eggs missing. You guys can do it, I believe in you! :D

Stupot

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #77 on: 24 Jul 2017, 13:25 »
Is that tower from Blade Runner?

« Reply #78 on: 24 Jul 2017, 17:07 »
Wow Silverspook,  this project is getting more and more tempting. The last background you posted (Control/Cockpit) is really sweet, so much details for the eye to catch. Atmosphere and mood spot on as I would expect from you.
Keep it up!

« Reply #79 on: 24 Jul 2017, 20:46 »
Thanks Tycho. ;)

Alright, since it seems it's a bit trickier than I first thought, here's the full-resolution version of this scene.  In addition to getting a kudos on the Dysmaton site, if you get all the Easter Eggs, I'll give you a copy of the Neofeud Short Story Collection. ;)

EDIT oops!  Forgot the full res image.  Here it is: http://i.imgur.com/iuTKXtq.jpg
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2017, 22:21 by SilverSpook »

« Reply #80 on: 25 Jul 2017, 10:40 »
The 'Winners Don't Use Drugs' was some sort of anti-piracy measure in the arcades back in the 1980s, right?

« Reply #81 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:07 »
It was from the 1980's, but "Winners Don't Use Drugs" wasn't about stopping piracy, but drugs. :)

Stupot

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #82 on: 25 Jul 2017, 13:29 »
It should be 'Pirates Don't Use Drugs'

« Reply #83 on: 25 Jul 2017, 20:13 »

Just so everyone knows what's going on: the first to find and name all the Easter Eggs in the pic above gets a shout out on the Dysmaton site, plus a copy of the Neofeud Short Story Collection. ;)

And here's a higher res pic: http://i.imgur.com/iuTKXtq.jpg

I think there's just one more Easter Egg to find!

horusr

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #84 on: 25 Jul 2017, 20:31 »
Is this ship uses windows 10 or 8? And the image above Neofeud is Battlestar Galactica?
http://i.imgur.com/bZ1S24d.png

yes windows 10
http://mexgeekeando.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/windows-10-start-button.png

edit by darth - non-game production related images changed to links
edit by horusr - opps sorry
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2017, 21:23 by horusr »

« Reply #85 on: 25 Jul 2017, 21:21 »
Alright, I think horusr has won the secret thingy hunt! :D

Thanks everyone for playing, you all did a great job. Now I can finally stop procrastinating development! (Damnit!)

horusr

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #86 on: 25 Jul 2017, 21:31 »
Thanks to everybody whofound things I can't find... Thanks to bill gates for windows 10 and of course SilverSpook for giving away a copy of Neofeud game(just forcing my luck).
https://cdntr2.img.sputniknews.com/images/102118/18/1021181873.jpg

« Reply #87 on: 26 Jul 2017, 02:34 »
I love Leo gifs! XD 

Anyway, here you guy, horusr, you're on the Dysmaton site!

« Reply #88 on: 26 Jul 2017, 23:59 »
Hey AGSers!  If anyone would like to talk about one of their adventure games (a sci-fi / cyberpunk game would be cool, but not necessary!) and/or their art, gamedev process, etc. with Silver Spook in a podcast / video in the near future, please let me know! (post here or message, etc!)  I want to help spread the word about your game, AGS generally, and talk to some cool people (you are all super cool, so don't worry about that!)  I'm hoping to do this sometime this week, although the time is not nailed down.  Let me know!

« Reply #89 on: 30 Jul 2017, 09:07 »
"Coworking"

"I'm sorry. Your cinnamon chai latte delivery could not be completed. We will require additional information to verify your account."

In other news, don't hold me to this, but it looks like I'll be having a chat with AGS veteran and adventure game maker extraordinaire, Fitz next weekend!  Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2017, 09:10 by SilverSpook »

« Reply #90 on: 31 Jul 2017, 20:01 »
Hilarious playthrough of Dysmaton by a Youtuber called "Clown Nebula".  It sounds great with an Italian playing it!  Bravissimo!

EDIT: Accidentally posted the trailer, here's the right video!
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2017, 21:18 by SilverSpook »

selmiak

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #91 on: 31 Jul 2017, 21:05 »
you embedded the trailer, not the italian vid.

« Reply #92 on: 08 Aug 2017, 04:12 »
Woohoo! Dysmaton is big in German, or possibly despised- I'm not sure cause I can't read it! 

Silver Spook Games, die Entwickler von 'Neofeud' arbeiten an einem neuen SciFi-Adventure: 'Dysmaton'. Darin kämpfen wir mit der jungen Ingenieurin Noria auf einer Raumkolonie ums Überleben, nachdem die Maschinen die Kontrolle übernommen haben. An diesem verhängnisvollen Tag hat Noria alles verloren und ist seither auf der Flucht vor den feindseligen Robotern. Auf der offiziellen Homepage kann bereits eine Demo des Spiels heruntergeladen werden. Dort findet Ihr auch einen Link zu Patreon, über den die Entwickler um Unterstützung bitten.

http://www.adventurecorner.de/news/7049/wochenecho-nr-407

ClickClickClick

• Don't listen to me.
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #93 on: 08 Aug 2017, 04:31 »
It's a neutral description of the plot. Then they tell the readers where to get the demo, and that you have a Patreon.

Then again, EVERY adventure game is big in Germany. It's our thing, kinda.
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2017, 04:35 by ClickClickClick »

« Reply #94 on: 08 Aug 2017, 04:40 »
Ah, well that's a relief! :D

Fitz

• Il antico demone
  • Fitz worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #95 on: 09 Aug 2017, 06:31 »
Confirmed. It says:

Silver Spook Games, the developers of 'Neofeud'. are working on a new sci-fi adventure game: 'Dysmaton'. In it, as a young engineer by the name of Noria you fight for survival in a space colony after machines took over. On this fateful day Noria lost everything and has since been on the run from the hostile robots. On the game's official website you can already download a demo of the game. You'll also find a Patreon link there, through which the developers are asking for support.

« Reply #96 on: 09 Aug 2017, 10:22 »
Jesus dude, these screenshots are enthralling. Such a unique and impactful style.

« Reply #97 on: 13 Aug 2017, 00:17 »

Today's work on Neofeud + Dysmaton!  (The sketching of some future Dysmaton assets happens towards the end)

« Reply #98 on: 17 Aug 2017, 05:44 »
After seemingly infinite days of marketing / coding / suit brain, I've finally gotten to doing something actually creative! 

Here's a little backstory snippet, some world / character building for Dysmaton.  (Don't worry, no spoilers!)

Micro-homesteading on the edge of the Floodlands, Wolf wasn't in the best of spots. Auto-trucks, autoplanes, there weren't shit-all left to do. Some deep-seated sense of libertarianism, installed by his Alex-Jones-loving lunatic of a father wouldn't allow himself to kick his last-season lumberjack-hipster boots up and collect UBI. "Drip-fed existence was another slower death. Once we're all lobotomized by their media, games, drugs, then the next step is the Fema Camps. Like herding cattle, mark my words."

Wolf had been some kind of hot shit on the game circuit, before game development itself was automated and schools and universities were a cross between a social media flamewar and an MMORPG where your 'grades' were 'in-game achievements'. Subscribers in the five-figures, almost scraping by on pop-tart ad revenue and unbox-whoring the latest triple-A game. Last one he did was, "Democracy!" - a roguelike politics-sim where you played a citizen of your own country, and got to rage online over which candidate was more asinine, fascist, or in cahoots with evil countries. The results of "Democracy!" counted as actual votes, as voter turnout both to physical booths and mail-in had plummeted to less than 5%.

"A Games Journalist", if there ever was a definition of a non-job, nine-to-ten odds you could find that in urban dictionary. A fan of the 'antediluvian' (pre-2000) classics, Wolf had worked the beat on Atari, went to every Apple II Lovers convention, had met and took gratuitous selfies with the very first zx-81 programmer. Then enter robo-journalism, and bye-bye mortgage qualification and adult-ish independent existence.

Sitting in the boarded-up recesses of a mall that piped in a noxious mixture of stale Kalvin Klein scent, CNN, and fifty-year-old Michael Jackson tunes.  Nearly abandoned, save a few 70-year-olds with alzheimers and countless grandchildren, abandoned by their millennial parents for more globe-trotting and "career-dabbling".

A Glamagle drone found him, even with his phone off, and GPS disabled. Wolf glanced at the octo-copter's glaring eye, the camera phones of an Asian tourist taking selfies with a Trump statue, and Wolf in the frame.

I better not decide to go back into actual investigative journalism, or I'll be assassinated in seconds.

He shouldered his way past a rack of "Russian Hacker" t-shirts in an empty Hot Topic and headed for the exit.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2017, 05:48 by SilverSpook »

« Reply #99 on: 19 Aug 2017, 10:27 »
I'll be livestreaming work on Dysmaton Saturday, 3 PM EST! Come hang out! https://www.youtube.com/user/twiliteminotaur/live

« Reply #100 on: 20 Aug 2017, 20:11 »

In this episode, I try to do some work on Dysmaton but get utterly decimated by driver SNAFUs and Windows 10 system overhauls! :D

« Reply #101 on: 08 Sep 2017, 22:00 »
I'll be live again tomorrow around 4 PM EST!  Here's last week's live stream:

&t=253s

« Reply #102 on: 10 Sep 2017, 05:23 »
"Domestic Tranquility"

Dysmaton just got a whole lot more dismal. :)

« Reply #103 on: 11 Sep 2017, 09:54 »
Here's the latest stream where I'm working on this piece, as well as talking indie game business, asset flips, why buying 10 monstertrucks, two houses and three yachts is stupid and you should instead spend it on funding more indie game projects, and more!

&t=5693s

« Reply #104 on: 17 Sep 2017, 03:41 »
Almost but not quite done with this scene here:

« Reply #105 on: 18 Sep 2017, 12:22 »
Looks scary, but intriguing!

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #106 on: 18 Sep 2017, 16:57 »
Weir feeling I'm getting from this... "motherly sweet" and "horror creepy".... 8-0

selmiak

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #107 on: 19 Sep 2017, 11:05 »
this cyborg looks ace but I can't stand the fuzzy borders in your paintings, like on the left side of that chair in the foreground (bottom right). Man, just block in one color on one layer in PS, Ctrl+leftklick that layer and fill in color in that selection on another layer and in the end merge them down to one complete 'object chair' layer.

« Reply #108 on: 19 Sep 2017, 18:29 »
@Blondbraid & Cassie: Haha, yes that's pretty much what I was going for here.

@Selmiak: Yeah, but then again, it is supposed to be work-in-progress! :) But yeah I gotta go back and handle that later.

« Reply #109 on: 23 Sep 2017, 18:55 »
Finally got these damn artificially gestating fetuses done! Took so long I almost threw the baby out with the bathwater! :D

« Reply #110 on: 01 Oct 2017, 11:25 »
Today's work on Dysmaton!

&t=25s

« Reply #111 on: 08 Oct 2017, 03:05 »

Dysmaton version of someone's fancy office!  (Work in progress)

selmiak

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #112 on: 08 Oct 2017, 10:45 »
cool and shiny! That tentacle ship is impresive, will it move across the background in game? Will we be able to walk over or run over that halfring in the background (on the left) sometime in the game? Would be cool, also some purpose for it would also be cool, just some occasional mention in dialoges here and there :)

« Reply #113 on: 08 Oct 2017, 17:03 »
Will we be able to walk over or run over that halfring in the background (on the left) sometime in the game?
Yes, don't tease us with awesome locations, when we can't actually visit them :)
Great work with colors on that last pic, that skyline looks exquisite.

« Reply #114 on: 09 Oct 2017, 23:21 »
The last image with the sunset is just lovely, it truly looks fantastic! 8-)

Gurok

• Rottwheelers
  • When life hands you lemons, combine them with the mop
    •  
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2016, for improving and extending the AGS scripting language
    •  
    •  
    •  
  • Gurok worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!Gurok worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #115 on: 12 Oct 2017, 04:47 »
Will we be able to walk over or run over that halfring in the background (on the left) sometime in the game?
Yes, don't tease us with awesome locations, when we can't actually visit them :)

Yes, all locations should be visitable at all times! :P

I love this beautiful, cloudy sunset. Very nice colours and some nice silhouettes in the skyline.

I watched a bit of your previous stream. I agree about the value of watching playthroughs. Unfortunately, they're hard to come by. I am probably not the only one who recognise that the AGS community has a shortage of players who do this. I thank the people who do regular playthroughs -- in the past, Bulbapuck and currently, I believe, selmiak. I also think we should do more to encourage it.

« Reply #116 on: 12 Oct 2017, 20:35 »
Thanks guys for the feedback! I am experimenting with more paint-mixing / more impressionistic approaches to the art to make things more interesting. Someone has made a Braid comparison, and being a huge fan of the art there, that's a big complement.

@Selmiak: I haven't quite yet decided what I'm going to do with that tentacle ship, although your suggestion sounds like a good idea!

@Selmiak/Hobo/Gurok: I hadn't really thought about being able to walk on that arch thing, but now that you mention it, that is also a good plan! I'll have to concoct a bit of plot that makes it make sense for the player character to get up there.

selmiak

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #117 on: 13 Oct 2017, 14:45 »
yeah, it looks cool, but  moving it across the background (or more than one somehow similar ships for that) will give some life and total scifi feel to it. In case you have it on a separate layer send me the png with transparent bg and I could try to animate some tangling tentacles to the ship :)

about that arch: running over it while fleeing from someone or rather something (more armed bots!!!) could be fun. I imagine Noria running to one side on a bit curved structure (the arch in close up) that moves under her feet while she stays in the center of the view and something is behind her and the arch crubles to dust everywhere she set foot on already while only the background turns to indicate the roundness of the arch. Noria's magnet boots can handle this...
Of course she could always jump off that structure and grab on to one of these tentacles from the tentacle ships to escape whatever follows her.
So yeah, thanks for sharing this cool background, it is really inspiring :)

« Reply #118 on: 14 Oct 2017, 08:54 »
In response to the playthrough thought, I'm sure my aforementioned friend at DMG will be do a few bits, if you send anything his way.

I also noticed something about typos in the Steam patch for Neofeud. I would be more than happy to try and squash any typos in the 'Dysmation' script at Christmas, Easter and the summer (seeing as that's when I'm 'free' during the degree), should you want a second eye or something.

« Reply #119 on: 14 Oct 2017, 18:27 »
@selmiak: Thanks for those suggestions. I had a thought kind of like that, sort oflike those old 80's / 90's racing games, where you have just a few repeated objects (or in this case the sides of the arch thing) to indicate movement.  The main character already has a running animation so it's not so far feteched. :)

@alphadalekben: Yes, it would be great if your DMG friend could do some play of the game at some point. I don't yet have the Dysmaton story finished up but I will consider your offer when I'm closer to that point!

EDIT: I am going to be livestreaming work on Dysmaton on Sunday 4 PM EST instead of the usual Saturday if anyone was thinking of stopping in!
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2017, 19:16 by SilverSpook »

selmiak

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #120 on: 15 Oct 2017, 11:58 »
yeah, I like the demo with noria proceeding fast through the rooms with quick actionpacked gameplay while still solving puzzles here and there :)

« Reply #121 on: 21 Oct 2017, 01:42 »
The action sequences take the most time to implement in AGS but I do want to have at least a few to vary the experience a bit. :)

Also, I'll be livestreaming again this Saturday at 4 PM EDT (Eastern Time) if anyone wants to see more of Dysmaton being made, and possibly help with the making itself! :D

&t=322s

« Reply #122 on: 21 Oct 2017, 23:58 »

I call this one, "Sun Goddess".  It took me a loooooong time to sort this out, about two weeks in all, but I think I've finally nailed what I was envisioning. Yes, there is some definite Blade Runner 2049 influence in there as I had seen the movie twice during the course of working on this. And the scene is definitely suppose to exude that Tyrell/Wallace "timeless, near-godly grandeur".

I'm going to look into animating the reflections in that pool of water there.  If I can get Roger Deakins or Ridley Scott to help me with the gold-aquatic lighting, it would also be much appreciated, lol.

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
« Reply #123 on: 22 Oct 2017, 01:28 »
Wow!
Looks stunning! I particularly love the painting on the left and the Egyptian statue! And good water effect there too! (nod)

selmiak

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #124 on: 23 Oct 2017, 19:50 »
WOW, this is beautiful. It is dark here already but I had to blink and blink to get used to the bright sunset. I can feel the warmth of the setting sun here.

« Reply #125 on: 26 Oct 2017, 18:44 »
Thanks Cassie and Selmiak. :) 

@Selmiak: That's a good point. It is bright and warm in there!

@Cassie: She is a lover of the fine art. :)

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
  • CaptainD worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!CaptainD worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #126 on: 26 Oct 2017, 19:26 »
This pic so makes me think of Rachael in the Tyrell Corp building from Bladerunner (not saying that as a bad thing at all, of course!) :-D

« Reply #127 on: 27 Oct 2017, 21:40 »
Yeah, the Tyrell "Future Palace" vibe was definitely something I was trying to allude to, there. :)

In other news, while doing work on Dysmaton, I will be live, in costume, AS NEOFEUD CHARACTERS tomorrow, at 4 PM Eastern Time!

One of these two main guys that I voice. :)

&t=6s

Be sure to subscribe!

« Reply #128 on: 29 Oct 2017, 12:42 »
That latest screenshot looks gorgeous, great Bladerunner homage!
Anyway, I saw a pretty funny video on cyberpunk and wanted to share it (Here's the link!). 8-)

« Reply #129 on: 29 Oct 2017, 20:29 »
Thanks, Blondbraid! I have also just recently seen that video, and I'm glad that both Neofeud and Dysmaton seem to have dodged the biggest cyberpunk cliches (neither of the protagonists are detectives or hackers, for example!).  Also, having a group that actively fights for the rights of the marginalized people (sentients) is a theme in Neofeud, and I'm looking at working more of that sort of material into Dysmaton. :)

I do strongly believe that writers, game devs, film makers, etc. need to make cyberpunk *PUNK* again. But I guess it's the never-ending paradox of living in an actual cyberpunk society dominated by a corporate/political elite -- the cyberpunk reality itself "will never be televised" precisely because it is against the interests of the elite who run the corporations that fund, market, and distribute the books, games, movies. Public Enemy is still "fighting the power", but they will never be televised, because they aren't "fit for popular consumption" (could destabilize the elite-manufactured consensus reality). So we only get gangsta rap trash that glorifies consumerism, getting 'bling', pimping, boosting cars, etc..  Same thing on the punk end (mall-punk is just about getting drunk, having sex, break ups)

But there is always the indie scene, and that's always where real punks of all stripes will always be.

The (cyber)punk game revolution will not be AAA, bitches! It will not be lootboxed, Massively-Multiplayer, or featured on game sites!

« Reply #130 on: 31 Oct 2017, 04:57 »
More Dysmaton work, plus, to get in the Halloween spirit, Silver Spook cosplays as a character from Neofeud!

(I have the video set to jump to the part where I enact a scene from Neofeud, in the voices I played for two of the main characters; Karl Carbon, and The Six Billion Dollar Baller. :) )

https://youtu.be/qltKyDFXx38?t=1h31m54s

« Reply #131 on: 05 Nov 2017, 10:43 »

In this episode, I implement some item interactions in Dysmaton, fix some walk-area/walk-behind issues, implement an infrared vision mode for a scene.

Silver Spook also discusses crunch-time, unpaid overtime, poor-mental/physical health norms plaguing the game industry (especially AAA), why they should be changed, and some ideas on how they could be changed.

« Reply #132 on: 11 Nov 2017, 23:34 »
&t=25s

Silver Spook Live #27 - Neofeud II, Venezuelan Cyberpunks, AI-Generated Digital Heroin.

In this episode, I discuss some ideas that came up during my chat with Mark Yohalem writer of Primordia in the podcast this week, including the rapidly evolving nature of the game industry, the eerie rise of F2P, microtransactions, arena-style spectator-e-sports and the impact on adventure games and other narrative, single-player games, why VA-11 HALL-A Cyberpunk Bartender Action is possibly the most cyberpunk game based on its origins, and much more.

KyriakosCH

• Alien spiral maker
    • I can help with backgrounds
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #133 on: 12 Nov 2017, 08:55 »
Well done!!! I admire the dedication it takes to finish a large and intricate game (I doubt I will ever be able to). Good luck with your games (nod)
Download and play The Chrysalis! My first ever game.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55448.0