How do I convert myself to low saturation pixel artist?

Started by InCreator, Tue 23/05/2017 19:09:19

Previous topic - Next topic

InCreator

My pixel art has always been colorful and high-saturation contrasty colors, similar to old arcade games (my heaviest influence in life are all those 1990's Neo-Geo fighting games).
Yet, I want to learn the low saturation mode.

Is there like some supreme guide to choosing low saturation or palette composition or how? A link everyone's been sharing or class everyone took? Or some rules of thumb, mathematical formula or something?

Using eyedropper on some others' work, I find colors that go just "yuck" in my head and would never been my first choice, yet they look so pretty when sprite comes together.
How to convert to low saturation and improve my color knowledge?

I have no idea how to google it, so I'll ask here.

So I want to go from this...

...to this

How do I handle the palette? I look at it, what do I have to see?

Squinky

I haven't been around in a while, so I can't remember your artistic capabilities, so forgive me if I say something obvious.

I'm bad at this too. My earlier art, especially AGS stuff was super saturated. I've worked a lot on my art lately, but I am still just bad at colors. So, how I deal with this is too just start in greyscale and focus on values at first. Then I throw multiply layers over it and color it up from there. This is obviously not pixel stuff, but if I was to do that I would make some quick studys and grab my colors from them.

Apologies if this isn't helpful. 

Darth Mandarb

Work with very limited palettes.

Pick your palette before you start.

Start with a small palette like 4 or 5 colors only. I used to be stubbornly anti-limited palette until I actually started practicing with it.

Don't be afraid of using a site (like pixeljoint) and borrow palettes to practice with. That example you posted is a perfect demonstration. Is that fool?

InCreator

Turns out, (as I suspected,) it's highly technical (as most computer- and art-related things are) and not all that complex.
After hours of googling, I ended up watching this video which breaks it down in absolutely wonderful and simple manner (and has results to back it up).

So it's just about playing with HSV with pretty specific and highly learnable manner.

ThreeOhFour

A fun way to experiment with a very simple palette is this.

Might help give some ideas.

Mandle

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Wed 24/05/2017 13:04:22
A fun way to experiment with a very simple palette is this.

Might help give some ideas.

Bookmarked!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk