AGS Error reports

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 28/05/2017 15:48:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Hello.

There is a "send report" feature in AGS Editor; user may press a button on error message form to send report to server.
Report is sent to: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/errorReport.php

Is this feature still works on server side, and is it possible to read sent reports? Right now this functionality seem to be completely useless, because developers cannot access these reports.

AGA

That form sends an email to an address I'm sure CJ hasn't looked at in ten years.  I could change it to write error reports to the database though, then put together a page that displays all reports, if you think it'd be useful.

Peder 🚀

They are currently being sent to cj@agsarchives.com, either AGA could change it to store in a db, or I could give you access to the email... I guess both could be nice? (as you'll be able to go through the old reports too with the emails)

AGA

If you give me the details I can see about trying to get the entries into the database, and then use that method in future.

Crimson Wizard

I know that at least some of the people were sending reports all this time, I recall they mentioned that on forums. Who knows, maybe there were serious errors reported and we did not know about that... so yes, that will be useful!

Although, is there any way to make this open for any active developers? At least they need to know that such information is available.

cat

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 29/05/2017 00:28:59
Although, is there any way to make this open for any active developers? At least they need to know that such information is available.
Sounds like a good idea. However, please make sure that the error information is anonymized when published publicly (i.e. not include IP addresses and stuff).

AGA

Yeah I'd hide any identifying information. That stuff is only kept to avoid abuse anyway.

Crimson Wizard

AGA showed me database with reports for last two years... this is terrible. There are dozens of reports only for the last few months, and some even have errors I've never seen nor seen anyone ever reporting on forums...

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 31/05/2017 21:00:26
AGA showed me database with reports for last two years... this is terrible. There are dozens of reports only for the last few months, and some even have errors I've never seen nor seen anyone ever reporting on forums...

Quickly, sweep them under the rug!

- Alan

Crimson Wizard

Good thing (if there may be anything good in bugs) is that these are Editor bugs, and have full stack trace written, which supposedly may be easier to find and fix.

AGA, am I allowed to send the link you gave me to other developers?

AGA

Sure, I stripped out the IP addresses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk