View from above?

Started by KyriakosCH, Mon 29/05/2017 20:50:15

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Do you like this pov?

How about lighting/models? (made it in Blender)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

It looks great to me. The doorknob positions look inconsistant to my eye though, with the one on the right being the most "off".

ThreeOhFour

Something that worries me about this point of view is that we will expect the way a character's perspective appears to change with relation to the vanishing point, which is in the centre of the image, as he moves around the screen. This is hard to do with 2D sprites, and if you don't do it, will probably look badly off.

This is a problem with standard side-on views, but much less so - because there's much less depth to the shape we're representing in that case, we mostly get away with it. Here you're going to be showing us a character from their most deep angle, and the unchanging perspective of that character will present problems.

KyriakosCH

@Mandle: Thank you :D

@TOF: Indeed, yet it may be helped considerably by limiting the walkable area, keeping it at a small distance to the edges. Another option would be pre-rendered character in-room animation, but i'd rather not do that. Current plan is to have clickable parts of the room appear in different render (and zoomed in) on another part of the 640x480 screen, which can help limit walkable area further.

KyriakosCH

(wil fix the door knobs later on :) )

What do youthink?

Cassiebsg

Personally, not my angle of choice.
Also what is that for a lamp? if it's a ceiling lamp, you should just remove it, if it's a floor lamp move it to the corner and choose a "foot" that can be seen in this angle.
Also you can reduce perceptive if you move the camera further apart and then zoom in (though not sure it would help much).
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

KyriakosCH

Well, those are ceiling lamps, yes. Often you see them (along with other stuff above, much like you may sem stuff in the part of the room 'in front of' the player).

KyriakosCH

(updated below :) )

KyriakosCH

Some of the rooms, currently:

KyriakosCH

KyriakosCH

josiah1221

Been following along ever since you started the project. I think they look great. You continue to improve!

cat

I don't like the lamps. If you hadn't told us they were lamps, I'd never have thought of that. Especially in the bathroom.

Regarding the skylight picture: I have no clue what the part at the bottom is supposed to be. It doesn't work perspective-wise for me.

Mandle

I'm really liking the screenies! I love the cramped, claustrophobic feel of the rooms!

As for the ceiling lamps. My eye read them for what they were supposed to be, and I feel they will make sense to the player once they see the character walking "behind" them in the game.

The off-kilter diagonal wall in that one room is an especially nice touch that disturbs the eye and adds to the feeling of something not quite right...

KyriakosCH

Thank you all :D

The smaller window above will either have objects zoomed in or the character portrait when it is general notes.

KyriakosCH

Some of the small screens :) Used both for info and for dialogue.

KyriakosCH

Any feedback? :=

KyriakosCH

One of the NPCs ;)

It is actually J.L.Borges, complete with walking cane :=

Creamy

For what it worths, I would get rid of the ceiling lamps too.
Even if they make sense, they're kinda distracting (floating lamps?) and hide the scenery.

Otherwise, I like the new perspective. Like Mandle said, it helps create claustrophobia.

josiah1221

Maybe try using wall lamps instead of ceiling lamps, like you see in a lot of hotels/motels. That way the overhead view (which I like) isn't obscured by the floating ceiling lamps. Just a thought :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk