Coloring Ball: Useless Machine (WINNERS ANNOUNCED)

Started by Tycho Magnetic Anomaly, Tue 30/05/2017 21:00:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

<<Coloring Ball: Useless Machine >>

Your Task: To create a machine with no particular function at all

Your machine can be some sort of mechanical device, or electronic device and anything in between, perhaps a mix of mechanical and electronic.

Fill the space with details such as:

Cogs, Buttons, Levers, Pulleys, Knobs, Dials, Pistons, Lights, Wires, Vents, Tubes, Screens, Springs, Rivets, Panels, Handles, Bulbs, Antennas, Coils, Sockets, Fans, Circuits, Valves, Pumps... and so on.

The Rules:

You may not rotate, flip or resize the shape. (sorry hehe )

You must color the shape outline according to your design. (So peoples designs sit more seamlessly when put on the Totem)

You can animate various bits on your machine.

All Entries must be in by Friday 9th June, at which time voting will start, and winners will be announced the following week on Saturday 17th June

Bonus Contest Feature - Totem Image Collaboration

The shape is designed to fit on top of itself and cut into itself., At the end of the contest everybody's entry will be added to the Totem to make a Mega Machine Image with a backdrop design to go with them. The winner on top, 2nd place next, then third and random positions for all the runners up. I thought it might be really interesting to use this contest also as a Totem collaboration, the idea of which I saw on another forum.

Winners will be displayed as normal the traditional way so this Totem Image will just be a bonus to compliment the end of the contest.

Best of luck to all the entries for the contest, and best of luck to everybody on trying to build the tallest, most craziest mechanical contraption possible!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Entries So Far:

DBoyWheeler[imgzoom]http://fractalscapes.net/-DUMP/cb_e01.png[/imgzoom]
Rocchinator[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/nT6hNht.gif[/imgzoom]
selmiak[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/VIlCMPk.png[/imgzoom]

AnasAbdin[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/kaAWzdW.gif[/imgzoom]
Gurok[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/9RTuqmz.gif[/imgzoom]
xBranex[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/3Iq6GMJ.gif[/imgzoom]

DBoyWheeler

Given the rules against flipping, mirroring, and resizing, I'm thankful I have a paint program that does layers, so I could have one layer for the lines, and another for the inside coloring--then lock transparency to make sure nothing spills out, but stays within the bounds.  Er, yeah. :-D

Anyway, here's my Useless Machine.  You can interpret this any way you want.

[imgzoom]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4204/34610870620_d93f354803_o.png[/imgzoom]

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hi guys. I got knocked off the internet for a while there, , as it happens I was right in the middle of fixing a little mistake I made in the shape, I deleted the file from my server, as just when I was about to drag / drop the modified version my internet totally and utterly went for a while. ( My internet in general is pretty horrific)

DBoyWheeler, Awesome first entry and you have the exact right idea. My shape was a tiny tiny bit off, and it was only with your early entry did I spot it early myself. The image on the left was the mistake, you can see the vertical lines are the issue, the one on the right is the fixed shape, and I have modified my original post with the fixed shape.

[imgzoom]http://fractalscapes.net/-DUMP/fix.png[/imgzoom]

I can modify your shape to fit snugly in with the others if you wish, it's only a one pixel line in a few places that's all, unless you want to mod it yourself, but I am very sorry if anyone else has downloaded the shape before I managed to get the fix uploaded.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Tue 30/05/2017 23:52:27

I can modify your shape to fit snugly in with the others if you wish, it's only a one pixel line in a few places that's all, unless you want to mod it yourself, but I am very sorry if anyone else has downloaded the shape before I managed to get the fix uploaded.

Be my guest, bud.

arj0n

Here is an electronic device with absolutely no particular function, although it seems to be 'active' in a certain way.
It also seems to be part of a bigger, totally useless, mechanical device, also know as a U.T.M. (Useless Totem Machine)

EDIT:
Here's a png for the totem
:)

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I got your fixed DBoyWheeler, thanks again for your fantastic entry.. but can it make toast! ;)

Love your entry arjon, very good use of the shape, and the tiny detailing.. wow.. I want to slot this in to my PC to see what happens!

arj0n

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Wed 31/05/2017 18:03:49
I want to slot this in to my PC to see what happens!

Yeh about that, I forgot the warranty notification:

• Do not attempt to install if drunk, pregnant, or both.
  • Do not eat, not a toy.
  • Not dishwasher safe.
  • Do not iron.

(roll)

Danvzare

Wow arj0n, that seems like an absolute perfect fit for such a weird shape. If I didn't know better, I'd almost say that's what it was supposed to look like.

arj0n

Thanx, Danvzare :)

Curious to see what other ideas get realized into a CB entry  (nod)

Rocchinator

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hah, great work there Rocchinator, you really put a cheer on the end of an otherwise ok day for me.
The hamster is so dam cute lol, and amazing detailing as usual from you.. top job!

lol arjon :) 

Rocchinator

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Fri 02/06/2017 18:12:51
Hah, great work there Rocchinator, you really put a cheer on the end of an otherwise ok day for me.
The hamster is so dam cute lol, and amazing detailing as usual from you.. top job!

lol arjon :) 

Glad I could cheer you up, thanks for the nice comment. Drawing, composing music and making games are my anti-stress hobbies from the all the stress from work and everyday problems hahaha.

dactylopus

I love the hamster idea.  In fact, it was the first thing I thought of.  You did a really good job on it, Rocchinator.  In fact, I like all of the entries so far!

selmiak

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/VIlCMPk.png[/imgzoom]
It has pipes and stinks, it has corners and these are sharp, and it has more gadgets that are all useless.

arj0n

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Cool! Super work selmiak,  very industrial, I like how you got a sort of 3D look to the whole thing. great!

AnasAbdin

This filter goes on top of selmiak's stinky pipes.
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/kaAWzdW.gif[/imgzoom]

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

So cool AnasAbdin .. I particularly like that tiny fan. I had struggled to make fan blades look good at similar resolutions AND have them look good rotating too for my project.. so this was in fact a nice help for me too ;)

And you know, my original idea was I wanted to have each person design their piece according to the last person posted, I thought really hard how to fit that into the colorball contest context where people post might post at random times and the top 3 winner positions.
The totem idea would have been much better if the machine pieces blend into the last persons design. I might do 2 final images one with the 3 winners and random positions for others.. . and another where the pieces "look" best in relation to another.

I might make the suggestion to the forum mods/admin to create a totem type contest or some other image collaborations in the future. I got the idea from pixelation and they have produced some spectacular collaborative images over the years. Though perhaps this has already been done on this forum? I don't know.

Anyway great entry and thank you everybody also for your entries so far, this contest was a bit of a slow starter but it seems to have enough entries (hopfuly more) to have made it worth while  :)

Tabata

Boaah! :shocked:
Those entries are ... so awesome!

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Sun 04/06/2017 15:01:26
... I might make the suggestion to the forum mods/admin to create a totem type contest or some other image collaborations in the future. I got the idea from pixelation and they have produced some spectacular collaborative images over the years. Though perhaps this has already been done on this forum? ...
Selmiak did a similar thing 'some years' back - sadly lots of it is lost (because of imageshack throwing out the images based on free memberships) - but there is it 

arj0n

Nice piece, AnasAbdin.
Absolutely love these 3 tiny meters (are they called that way?) at the leftside ;-D

AnasAbdin

Tabata: I know! I couldn't compete with these entries so I just filled some of the shape with selmiak's entry (laugh)

arj0n: yep meters! I was working on a puzzle in my project and thought it would fit the shape 8-)

Rocchinator

Tabata

“You better knock … … on wood,
You better knock, knock, knock … on wood … 

[imgzoom]http://fs5.directupload.net/images/user/170606/s9kboosx.gif[/imgzoom]

… and for the 'megamachine' a static version, too :grin:
Spoiler

AnasAbdin

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

wow.. this is super sweet... I never considered wood, really suits your design! .. just love the references to AGS and adventures in general (the keys) the animation of the paper feeding out is impressive too, must have taken you a bit to do that part alone. Well done love it!

Riaise

Wow, the entries for this contest are amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing the full totem pole at the end! :-D

Rocchinator

Nice Tabata love it!. Looking at your machine I don't know why but the Hook Island sign come to my mind inmediately. Haha!

arj0n

Quote from: Tabata on Tue 06/06/2017 09:28:56
“You better knock … … on wood,
You better knock, knock, knock … on wood … 
Great entry, Tabby!

Quote from: Riaise on Tue 06/06/2017 13:33:57
Wow, the entries for this contest are amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing the full totem pole at the end! :-D
Fully agreed!

Gurok

The useless machine was a mistake!

Here's my entry:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/9RTuqmz.gif[/imgzoom]

And some accompanying music:

https://youtu.be/qaC0vNLdLvY?t=75
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

arj0n

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

really cool entry Gurok.. it reminds me of those little machine loop gifs you get on GIPHY which are so mesmerizing to watch :)
top job!

Only 2 days left now if anyone wants to throw in some more mechanical wonders

Tabata

Thank you so much for all your cute comments on my 'wooden treasure', guys!

We got an emoticon machine!   
Gurok, I want to marry you!

@Rocco
     You cought me:
Spoiler
It's because you discovered the place where I sell these fine leather jackets that useless machine.
[close]

Riaise

Tabata, I love that emoticon under the spoiler tag! He's so cute!
Spoiler
And the flailing arms are spot on! :-D
[close]

Rocchinator

Quote from: Tabata on Wed 07/06/2017 17:59:50
Thank you so much for all your cute comments on my 'wooden treasure', guys!

@Rocco
     You cought me:
Spoiler
It's because you discovered the place where I sell these fine leather jackets that useless machine.
[close]

hahahah you made my day !

Gurok

Quote from: Tabata on Wed 07/06/2017 17:59:50

I'm glad you got it! Yes, it's an emoticon flattener and expander. I tried doing a face, but at that size, everything just looks like a muddy mess.

I love your entry too! It's such a sweet mahogany board.

I'm sad I don't have as much detail as arj0n or Rocchinator's entries. Animating is so time consuming, I found myself skimping on the detail.

Thanks for the comments, TMA and arj0n. arj0n, the admiration goes both ways.

Nixxon

Too many awesome entries to attempt. Well done guys!

xBRANEx

arj0n

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

hehe awesome stuff xBRANEx , very Beatles yellow submarine-esq :D  Also this will look fantastic on the totem
top job!

Scorpiorus

Quote from: Tabata on Tue 06/06/2017 09:28:56[imgzoom]http://fs5.directupload.net/images/user/170606/s9kboosx.gif[/imgzoom]

I really like how it reads A4 if converted to hex. Wonder if that's on purpose :wink:

Great entries, everyone!

Gurok

A cool twist, xBRANEx.

It seems the mega machine will now be equipped with bio-neural circuitry!

Tabata

@Scorpiorus
Of course it's on purpose!
It took endlessly to translate this message to binary 
Spoiler
Well â€" lets say I prayed that it doesn't have an insulting meaning
[close]

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Ok folks, I had to close this for entries today, so I guess its now open for voting.

I might like to say to everyone thanks for making this contest worthwhile, I got so much pleasure out of seeing your imaginative contraptions, and I wish everyone now the best of luck with the contest!

Great stuff everyone!

AnasAbdin

Riaise

Should we just vote for our favourite or for first, second and third?

DBoyWheeler

I'm gonna assume 1st, 2nd, and 3rd votes.

And believe me, it was a hard choice.

1st: Tabata
2nd: selmiak
3rd: Gurok

Rocchinator

I love this competitions so many good entries too choose. But well here are my votes.

1st xBranex.
2nd Gurok.
3th arj0n.

Gurok

xBRANEx

It's a tough call! My votes are:

1st: Rocchinator
2nd: Tabata
3rd: arj0n

arj0n

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

AnasAbdin.. fantastic, looks better then I thought it would, the styles compliment each other so well, I will post the totem animated and on some sort of background at the end of the voting period.

DBoyWheeler thanks again for that early entry making me discover the mistake, the totem would have been a bit of a mess up if I only discovered when putting all the final entries together :D

kconan

1. Rocchinator
2. Tabata
3. arj0n

Have to add, lots of really good ones this round...but Rocchinator's is one of the best Coloring Ball entries I've ever seen.

dactylopus

2nd: arj0n
3rd: AnasAbdin

I really wanted to vote for Tabata's as well.  All of the entries in this competition were great in their own way.  Well done, everyone!

Tabata

1st Roccinator 'cause that cuuute hamster electric thingy is the bestestest  (nod)
2nd Gurok for the emoticon assembly line
3rd Arj0n for that cool AGS-circuit board
gaaah   - no more votes left for me to give them away -
... soo sorry about that because the other entries are soo good to deserve votes, too

@Riaise:  Thank you for the extra nice comment about my little Stan-emote! 
(He tries the best he can to wave sell like his idol :wink: )

Riaise

Rocchinator

@Tabata This little guy is really commited to his work :grin::grin:
@kconan Thanks man I really aprecciate the feedback. :smiley:

Funkpanzer

AnasAbdin

1st: Tabata
2nd: Rocchinator
3rd: DBoyWheeler

Danvzare

Cassiebsg

2nd: arj0n
3rd: xBranex (really hard choice here... in the end I went for the organic originality of the entry)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Wowzers, I only opened this up for votes less then a day ago and so many votes already..  great stuff everybody.

Well since there is still a week left to vote I might like to give anyone the opportunity to enter a useless machine design and it will feature on the collaboration version of the totem image.

Cassiebsg

Stupot

Sorry I missed out on this. Here are my votes:

Onest: Arjon
Twond: Rocchinator
Threerd: Gurok

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

hehe awesome Cassiebsg that contraption looks dangerous! also love you worked the ags mug into it.. super work :D
Yes you missed the contest by just a few days :( .. but of course yours will feature on the totem .. i can already see it fitting in well!

arj0n

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 12/06/2017 11:42:44
Finally had sometime to work on this, sorry I missed the deadline. :-[
That's gorgeous, Cassbsg!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hi folks, this turned out to be a really fantastic contest with all your amazing entries.

Unfortunately I have run into a bit of an issue with regards making the totem image. I have been extremely busy last few weeks and I thought putting theses onto one gif (animated) would be straight forward, however I have left it so late that I am not sure If I can work this out by tomorrow. So I am pleading with anyone on the forum to help me work out this, or even if you have something setup to do this already if perhaps someone might do it?

I have tried so many things , from html, css, flash.. and I cant seem to figure this out.. I know if i spend a few days researching this I could perhaps do it.

The closest i got was with css, but in my css editor I see everything aligned perfect, but when viewing in browser everything breaks up and there are gaps between the gifs.

Is it possible someone might help me on this?  There will be a backdrop image (which i still have not done yet,. doing it now) to go behind the totem so it would need to be part of the gif

arj0n

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Fri 16/06/2017 14:40:43
I am not sure If I can work this out by tomorrow.
There's no need for a totem-deadline, Tycho.
This comp, although it's over, will be closed when you want it to be closed.
Even if another one has already started, no problem.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

ah cool that takes a bit of pressure off ... trust me to leave it till the last minute :)
I will tally up and announce the winner as normal tomorrow anyway, and over the weekend I will sort out the totem

Cassiebsg

Also, not sure your idea of assembling the totem with just css, html, etc will work, since we all use different browsers, with different settings. The only thing that might work is just to assemble them in photoshop or similar prog and then created just one image (and hope the 256 colour limit won't ruin all the gifs...) Think mine has 34 or 36 colours, so if most ppl didn't used very high count, it should be possible to assemble it without ruining the colours too much. . 

Gurok

Mine has 10 colours, but about 100 frames. If you're animating the totem, I'm sorry. :(

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

a ah,, nice suggestions, but you know it now raises another question about synchronizing the whole gif as a loop... I have not counted frames on each persons animation but i am going to assume they are all using different lengths of frames.. so i have not done the math but I will assume anyway that getting them all on the one image AND having the whole thing as a loop will never work. Also good point on the 250colors. Well I am slapping my wrists a bit on this.. I should have set couple of rules like if people animate they can only animate in a powers of x frame count and generally same speed/fps. So realistically the only way of doing this is have them playing in real time individually on a webpage (assembled into the totem), either html or css .. well css more likely. at least then they can all run at the speed they where designed at, will all loop properly, and the colors will be maintained. 

Its the only thing i can think of with regard the animated totem.   I was "close" with the css, I am sure if I tinker more with it i can get it right and have it set well across most devices/browsers .. then i can do a still image version too.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

THE WINNERS!

1st Place
Rocchinator

2nd Place
Arj0n

3rd Place
Tabata

Super Congrats to the winners, all the runners-up and , all your amazing art works and votes. This was a very enjoyable contest.

Rocchinator later I will PM you details such as the next contest post header (or just quote+modify the first post) ..etc And best of luck with the next color ball contest :)

AnasAbdin

Congrats all winners! Congrats Rocchinator and hope to see a new CB by you soon!
Thanks to all participants and voters :)

Thanks Tycho Magnetic Anomaly for being such a great host, and Wow those trophies are awesome!

Blondbraid

Danvzare

Congratulations you all. Brilliant entries all around. :-D

Now where's our totem?

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Gday.... Well OK.. I managed to knock something together here.
http://fractalscapes.net/-DUMP/FORUM/totem2/

Since it's CSS i "tried" to make hotspot areas over each entry so the name of the artist would appear next to it.. Still haven't figured that, I would have also liked a little button on the page to zoom in / out on the whole thing.
Unfortunately I haven't got a clue how to actually code in CSS, I am using a visual tool so I did spend a few hours trying the above things. I will come back to this and try again at some point. Didn't get much time with the backdrop image either, but the focus is meant to be on your amazing machines anyway.

Bare in mind my intention at the start of the idea was to have it a gif, but as mentioned in previous posts I didn't factor in the problems I eventually ran into.. never-mind hehe :)

Anyway, with your combined assemblage of absolutely useless contraptions that each on their own do nothing you have managed to create something that dose EVERYTHING! and more ... well done folks!

EDIT: You can hold down on ctrl key and use mouse wheel to zoom in on page (most browsers)
Or use MS Magnifier on it to see nice crisp pixels

Cassiebsg

dactylopus

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Sat 17/06/2017 14:46:10

This looks awesome!  Everyone did a great job, and together it's perfect.  So glad to see so many high quality entries.  Congratulations to all participants for collectively creating such a fun piece of art, and congratulations to the winners!  This was a really cool and different take on the coloring ball, and I love how it worked out.  Looking forward to the next one!

DBoyWheeler

Rocchinator

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Sat 17/06/2017 03:27:39
THE WINNERS!

1st Place
Rocchinator

2nd Place
Arj0n

3rd Place
Tabata

Super Congrats to the winners, all the runners-up and , all your amazing art works and votes. This was a very enjoyable contest.

Rocchinator later I will PM you details such as the next contest post header (or just quote+modify the first post) ..etc And best of luck with the next color ball contest :)

Wow 1rst place im so happy. Really good competition so many amazing entries. Thanks everyone. @Tycho ok i will happily host the next CB

Cassiebsg

Congrats to the winners! And those are some amazing trophies there! :-D

Tabata

to Rocchinator and arj0n 
I can't believe that so much of you gave me your votes and I am really excited to catch one of those wonderful trophies.
             I'll 'wear' it with pride. (nod)

for that great CB to all who participated in any way!

Gurok

Congratulations, Rocchinator! I look forward to another colouring ball soon!

arj0n

Congratz Rocchinator & Tabbata!

This was a great CB, thank you participators and host (and your great theme-idea) 8-)

Well OK.. I managed to knock something together here.

That totem looks freaking awesome!! (nod)

selmiak

wohah, that really looks cool! I'm so glad I was part of this. Congrats to all the winners! :-D

Danvzare

Wow, that looks brilliant! :shocked:

You did a great job combining all of the entries like that.

Riaise

Congratulations, Rocchinator! And well done to Arj0n and Tabata! All of the entries were fantastic, and the finished totem looks great! :-D

AnasAbdin

Omg Tabata your avatar startled the hell outta me 8-0

arj0n

Tabata

You probably activated the secret X-ray option of this forum unawarely.

arj0n

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk