AGS Awards Client Updates

Started by Snarky, Tue 10/07/2018 16:51:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

The AGS Awards clients for the last couple of years have now been open-sourced. A team is starting to plan out the updates for the next ceremony.

So it's time to hear your feedback, bug reports, feature requests and suggestions for the AGS Awards client. (I already have a pretty extensive list, but your input would help to prioritize all the different tasks.)

There are also a few design decisions we'd like to put to the community, but in order to stick to one thing at a time, I think we'll hold off on that right now.

Crimson Wizard

With all due respect to WyZ, who created Agssock plugin, have anyone (perhaps WyZ himself) considered to rewrite it as a cross-platform plugin?
There was a rough recreation attempt of Agsjoy with dependency on SDL2, which makes it portable in theory.
Perhaps a similar solution could be made for Agssock, using either SDL2, or some cross-platform networking library such as ENet for example?

PS. Unless, ofcourse this is already a thing, in which case please ignore.

Snarky

Yeah, Wyz and I talked about it last year. It would basically be on him to finish the Sockets 2.0 plugin, and then someone would have to update the IRC module to the new API (which sounds pretty doable to me).

I don't have any experience building for other platforms, and then there's the Clipboard plugin to consider as well... The client runs fine on MacOS in Wine, so the effort would really only be for the benefit of Linux users.

It would definitely be nice to have, but I would need some convincing that it's a top priority.

Cassiebsg

Oh, this is why I suggested creating the topic right after the awards were finished... I can't remember all the suggestions I had for it. 8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Snarky

I think you mentioned you couldn't get the apostrophe to work. That's an issue we could investigate (you can test it with the Clipboard/TextField demo).

Cassiebsg

Nice copy/paste. (nod)

Well, I still can't type the ' on AGS, but now I can copy/paste it in. :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Alright, this is silly request, so feel free to ignore it. But I would rather like to be able to move my character via the arrow keys when I'm not writing anything, and when I am writing something I would like the arrow keys to move through the text.

My reason being that I sometimes like to turn around, and clicking to get into the perfect position all the time can be quite fiddly.

But there are no doubt much more important things to address, and I suspect this would be difficult to implement. So once again, feel free to tell me that this is a stupid request. :)
I had to at least ask it though.

Snarky

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 12/07/2018 19:18:55
I sometimes like to turn around, and clicking to get into the perfect position all the time can be quite fiddly.

So I'm definitely going to add some kind of in-game tutorial for this, because the client has had a feature since... I want to say the 2011 awards (I seem to remember begging Dualnames for this feature after the first year), where you can right-click anywhere on screen to turn your character to face that direction. I think we even put the instructions for it up as a banner this year or last, but clearly a lot of people miss it.

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 12/07/2018 19:18:55
when I am writing something I would like the arrow keys to move through the text.

Yes, it does that as of this year. And there's a module that allows you to add the functionality to your own game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk