BACKGROUND BLITZ: THE FINAL FIGHT - (WINNERS ANNOUNCED!)

Started by Rocchinator, Thu 08/06/2017 19:18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocchinator

THE FINAL FIGHT

Hi everyone, For this competition all the participant must draw a final fight

scenario for our protagonist to have their "final boss or bosses fight".It not has to be an

actual fight but more a conclution where the protagonist and the antagonist meets for a

last encounter.

Deadline is June 26th, 2017!

Voting:

Concept: Should tell an idea of what is going on.
Playability: Objects, ativables, death pits, levers, etc. whaterever the player could
interact with to finally win the encounter or not.
Artistic Execution: Should be an "emotions" atmosphere, you have to be able to feel it artistically speaking :smiley:.

(Excuse my english)

Good Luck!

Nixxon

DBoyWheeler

Well, I am getting closer and closer to my MAGS entry... perhaps I can enter once my MAGS game is done.

Blondbraid

Oh this should be good, I hope I get any epic ideas before the deadline!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

This background contest announcement could not have happened at a worse time. I would really like to try something for this but I honestly am only 50/50 sure if I will get the time for this. I will try my very best though. If only this contest could be delayed a week or two.

Great theme choice too

Rocchinator

@Thycho I don't know about the rules of the competition im very new at this, but If i saw there is problem with the time i could delay it a little bit maybe for 1st of July. Did i make it too early?

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Oh no I didn't mean to suggest actually delaying,  the rules are rules I guess.. I sort of meant its a pity that this contest had to be running at this particular time as I have my hands full with other things right now. If you announced this next week or the following week I could have 100% committed to it, but right now I am not so sure.. 50\50 .. watch this space.. cant wait to see the other entries though... going on the last contest its bound to be a cracker!

Blondbraid

I decided to goof around with some old vacation photos in photoshop, and before I knew it I made this picture.
It kind of fits the theme with a boss battle, doesn't it?

Rocchinator

Amazing @Bloodbraid The use of photoshop in this one creates a really unique style. love it. The saturation give a vivid sensation to it. And also a Three Headed Monkey!(laugh)and a Vengance pistolero XD. Really good entry.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Rocchinator on Sun 11/06/2017 16:40:39
Amazing @Bloodbraid The use of photoshop in this one creates a really unique style. love it. The saturation give a vivid sensation to it. And also a Three Headed Monkey!(laugh)and a Vengance pistolero XD. Really good entry.
Thank you so much!
The process behind the image is quite a story in and on itself in case anyone is curious,
Spoiler
I got the idea for the monkey when I took a picture of a couple of monkeys sitting on the same branch in a zoo, and you almost couldn't see where one monkey began and the other one ended.

The waterfall is taken from a photo from a trip to Turkey, I just copied and pasted it on both sides of a Mayan temple from Mexico. The stone floor is from the same location.

The character is a compilation of several photos, the original figure was actually a painting of an angel from the Cuzco school of painting, but I removed the wings. The face is actually from a knitted ski-mask that my mother bought as a souvenir since it kind of looked like Guy Fakes from V for Vendetta. And the pistol is't part of the original painting either, it's from another picture I took in a WW1 museum in Belgium.

Not everything in the picture is taken from old photos though. I have to admit that the shadow under the gunman and patches of grass on the floor are entirely a product of Photoshop.
[close]

SilverSpook

That's fantastic Blondbraid! It's a Cerberus monkey!

DBoyWheeler

Here's my contribution to this contest...

A very high up platform, with crystal pillars on the corners... with thick storm clouds obscuring what's far below, and a blood red moon shining in the otherwise dark night sky.

Seriously, if this doesn't say "It's time to end this!", then tell me what does.

Rocchinator

@DBoyWheeler Great Entry! You are totally right the about that :-D Reminds me of a movie can`t remember the name but was about samurais
. The use of colors are amazing. Good Job!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Nice entries here so far. Love the idea of using vacation photos to build up graphics for the game. Really trippy too with the 3 headed monkey :D

DBoyWheeler great work, i can defiantly see a royal rumble taking place there...  Is that lava down below?! Dangerous stuff indeed!  :P

Rocchinator

Here are the thropies for this competition:

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Tue 13/06/2017 17:53:56
DBoyWheeler great work, i can defiantly see a royal rumble taking place there...  Is that lava down below?! Dangerous stuff indeed!  :P

Actually those are rumbling storm clouds below (the platform's pretty high up).  But whatever is under the storm clouds, it's a reminder it's not the fall that kills you--it's the sudden stop at the end.

Nixxon

Blondbraid

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Mon 12/06/2017 23:26:52
Seriously, if this doesn't say "It's time to end this!", then tell me what does.
I keep hearing MORTAL KOMBAT!!! whenever I see it! :-D

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 14/06/2017 14:06:24
I keep hearing MORTAL KOMBAT!!! whenever I see it! :-D

Yeah, it kinda does resemble one of those "Pit" levels in the MK series.

funnyboy044

I'm considering joining the contest and I'm curious. How big the picture have to be?

Cassiebsg

@funnyboy044 : It has to fit an AGS game... so you decide the size of it your self... and since you can do an ags with 1x1 pixel now... I guess that's the minimum theoretical size. (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: funnyboy044 on Thu 15/06/2017 03:59:36
I'm considering joining the contest and I'm curious. How big the picture have to be?
As big or as small as you want.
Just try to make sure it fits on our screens.

Rocchinator

@funnyboy044
Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 15/06/2017 11:13:11
Quote from: funnyboy044 on Thu 15/06/2017 03:59:36
As big or as small as you want.
Just try to make sure it fits on our screens.

Yep! Just as @Danvzare said!

funnyboy044

Here's my entry into the contest.

I tried to give my entry a Indiana Jones-y type of vibe.
Special Thanks to Tycho Magnetic Anomaly for some help.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

You can use this
Code: ags
[img]http://i.imgur.com/kwpJM6c.png[/img]

or use the buttons on the forum editor
[imgzoom]http://fractalscapes.net/-DUMP/button.png[/imgzoom]
The first button will put a normal image down... the 2nd button will make the image zoom-able

Top job on your background also...  very nostalgic looking (also fate of Atlantis was my all time fave p+c, hands down)

Rocchinator

@funnyboy044 great entry, look like an interior of an unactive volcano good enviroment too. See lost of thing to interact good job!

DBoyWheeler

@funnyboy044 And the pedestal... it's almost like Indiana Jones meets Undertale (seriously, the skull reminds me of the character Sans).

Blondbraid

It's a neat background, I like the Indiana Jones vibe!

lorenzo

If you manage to pass the snake pit, the mummy awaits you on the other side!

DBoyWheeler

@lorenzo Anything to reach "mummy dearest", huh? (laugh)

Rocchinator

@lorenzo Stunning entrie really good job, watching this in my head pops the prince of persia music hahaha!. Amazing art here, i love cartoonish style. and I had to say those snakes look hungry.

lorenzo

@DBoyWheeler (laugh) "Come here, boy, and your mummy will give you a big hug!"

@Rocchinator Thank you! No wonder the snakes look hungry, they haven't had a meal since the previous archaeological expedition...

DBoyWheeler

@lorenzo Looking forward to when this Background Blitz can call it a "wrap"?

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

wowzers lorenzo that's some sweet background there. I just love your thick well defined stroking, the colors and composition are just perfect too. I have a thing for ancient egyptian history and mythology so the theme strikes a cord with me also.. super well done.

lorenzo

@DBoyWheeler Can't talk about that â€" I'm silent as a tomb.

@Tycho Magnetic Anomaly Thank you very much, Tycho! I, too, have an interest in ancient Egypt, so I had a lot of fun drawing the background (and looking at pictures of tombs and sarcophagi for inspiration).

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: lorenzo on Fri 23/06/2017 19:49:54
@DBoyWheeler Can't talk about that â€" I'm silent as a tomb.

Tut tut. (laugh)

Rocchinator

Ok Guys Good entries So Far. Lets Make a last effort 2 more days for entries. Lets do it. :cheesy: :cheesy:

Cassiebsg

Oh... don't think I'll make it. :-\
All I have is a stretch made in GraphicGale, and looks pretty awful... (laugh)

Nixxon

Misj'

Clive & Richard: Animal Uprising

When Clive and Richard are attacked by a crocodile in the middle of Amsterdam, they discover a plot by Owen (also known as the Baron) to conquer the world using a mind-control helmet by which he controls a multitude of wild (though innocent) animals. They manage to track him down the the jungles of Africa for one final confrontation (in which no animals are harmed by our heroes). 

-- click for a version without characters and context --

This background is inspired by - and an ode to - the work of Franquin and the other artists working on Spirou and Marsupilami; though with a personal spin on it.

Cassiebsg

Misj', do you work on professional comics/cartoon???? 8-0
If not, please do! I want to buy these comics! And yes, my first thought "Spirou?" (nod)

Misj'

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 25/06/2017 14:12:32Misj', do you work on professional comics/cartoon?
If not, please do!
Who has the time? ;)

But no, as I have no formal background in anything related to illustration. I just happen to like it as a hobby (and I'm very happy in my current job, so I don't expect that to change).

I do want to explore this style a bit more, because it's one close to my heart and one that has really influenced me as a kid. And it felt really good (and liberating) after playing around with a more American- and animation-influenced style over the last...well...almost a decade I think.

Rocchinator

@Misj':shocked: :shocked: I'm speechless incredible entry here lots of details and atmosphere. Just like in the last contest you blown me away with your art. I can totally imagine whats is going on there, and its about to go down! (laugh) . Well Done! This contest is getting really interesting.

Nixxon

It's the last level!  Battle it out with the universes' most bad-ass, bad-ass! Using your keen senses and a myriad of spells, tricks and traps, can you be victorious? (before the batteries run out).

Edit - here's a link to the time lapse if anyone is interested. https://youtu.be/n8Ownebqqyo

Tracked time on the canvas is 7h 2m. Not sure if it calculates afk though :p

Rocchinator

@Nixxon Just beautiful! almost an arcade intergalctic fight hahaha. Wonderfull work here i was waiting for your entry so bad. Colorfull, Intense, very imersive. Fantastic job has always!

Nixxon

Thanks @ Rocc!

Stellar entries this month.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Absolutely jaw dropping work Misj' and Nixxon wowzers!

Unfortunately I wont be able to drop an entry in here this time, I really did want to and even started something a couple of days ago but its at such a basic state still I don't think it is suitable.
But all the entries are fantastic so far.

Rocchinator I will 100% enter your new color ball contest.

Rocchinator

@Tycho That`s a shame i would have love to see your background :sad: . But I totally wait for your color ball entry ;-D

Rocchinator

OK Amazing entries everyone now its time for voting till 4th of July. Let Go! :cheesy:

LIST OF ENTRIES

Blondbraid

DBoyWheeler

funnyboy044

lorenzo

Misj'

Nixxon

DBoyWheeler

Rocchinator

DBoyWheeler

That's better.  Now for my votes, and why.

Concept: funnyboy044.  Even as something crudely draw, it has a great feel of "moment of final suspense".  And as I said earlier, the skull reminds me of Sans from Undertale.
Playability: lorenzo.  Various "ways to die" in this, and if the mummy is not the final villain, maybe the evil sorcerer (or perhaps even a fallen god) could be the final battle.  That's my take, anyway.
Artistic Execution: Nixxon.  Almost like some sci-fi "run the gauntlet".  If not the main final battle, at least leading up to it.

funnyboy044

Here's my vote(not counting my entry of course):

Concept: Nixxon: This entry reminds of the ending to Space Quest IV and the screen in it makes it look like one of those fun minigames within a game. Also, the art is really impressive and almost wacky.
Playability: lorenzo: There's a lot of interesting things to use in this room, like the lever, the mummy, THE HUGE SNAKE PIT, etc.
Artistic Execution: Misj':This entry reminds me of a Dr. Seuss illustration(especially in the trees and shrubs).

Riaise

Concept: Nixxon
Playability: lorenzo
Artistic Execution: Misj'

For all the same reasons as mentioned so far throughout the thread. :)

dactylopus

Concept: Blondbraid - I love the idea of gunfighting a three-headed Aztec tamarin, and what more beautiful location for such a battle than between two waterfalls.  For a cobbling together of random photographs, a style I'm normally averse to, this came out surprisingly well.
Playability: lorenzo - I can imagine the spiked pillar was stopped by pulling the lever.  I can also imagine that an inventory item (or 2) helped to cross the snake pit, and that the sarcophagus was opened to reveal the villainous Mummy.  Great execution as well, this is a very appealing image.  With some more time, perhaps the flames could have been animated, pushing this into another level.
Artistic Execution: Misj' - This is beautiful, and so full of detail.  I love this take on a classic illustration style.  That said, I'd normally prefer a background without characters for a Background Blitz, and without the characters this is just a random part of a forest, but I'm such a fan of this style and this is wonderfully executed.

Well done, everyone!  Glad to see a good number of participants.

Danvzare

Concept: Nixxon  The TV screen is what sets it apart from the other entries.
Playability: lorenzo  It reminds me of a room from Broken Sword 3.
Artistic Execution: Misj'  I mean just look at it, I don't think I've ever seen anything so complicated on one of these contests.

selmiak

Concept: DBoyWheeler - I want to see what fight takes place under that bloody red moon
Playability: lorenzo - the path to go is well defined and spiced with traps, but you know what to do, which levers to pull and so, I would love to play around that scene :)
Artistic Execution: Misj' - beautiful art style. Please do more of that or even a spirou adventure!!!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Well done everyone on your amazing works. As usual this was painful for me , but here goes:

Concept: DBoyWheeler - Just love the platform in the sky idea, I can envisage things coming out from the clouds to grab the unfortunate opponents that got knocked off!
Playability: lorenzo - I can definitely see this being set into a game context. So many hazards and very well produced.
Artistic Execution: Misj' - This was real hard one for me, but I just love that detailing put in, its all so very well balanced too.

To the Others

Blondbraid - This is really a very very interesting idea , chopping up personal photos and making a game out of it, the result is excellent
funnyboy044 - Gives me a fate of atlantis vibe all the way, just love it!
Nixxon - Wowzers, another stunning entry. The colors are mesmerizing, and you know it reminds me a bit of a little known point and click called cosmic space head.. not sure if you have played it? Well done.

Absolutely outstanding work all around people, I cant wait to see what comes in the next background blitz.

kconan

Concept: Misj' - I really like the idea of an evil professor who mind-controls animals being cornered in a jungle.
Playability: lorenzo - I started pathfinding and puzzle solving as soon as I looked at this background.
Artistic Execution: Misj' - This is truly stunning; kudos.

Was tough choosing, great entries all around.

lorenzo

I hope I'm not too late to vote!

Concept: Blondbraid â€" your image gives me nostalgic feelings about all the hours (mis)spent as a kid playing fighting games. I'd love to play a Mortal Kombat stage set in your background!

Playability: DBoyWheeler â€" nice use of colour, great contrast between the red sky and clouds, and the blue platform. It's the perfect place for a fight against an evil wizard, with clear walkable areas and hotspots (I must destroy all the crystal to beat the final boss, right? I'll better save the game before trying it, just in case).

Artistic Execution: Nixxon â€" what an ingenious idea and great execution! It'd make a perfect background for some wacky cartoon â€" and I'd love to play around with that interface.

The other entries:

funnyboy044: your background has a very adventurous feeling. I like the contrast between the brown of the cave below and the yellow at the top.

Misj': what a lovely entry! It reminds me of the Franco-Belgian comics I used to read as a kid. Although, if you remove the characters, there isn't much to interact with in the background.
Still, a great image: if it were a comic, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Nixxon

This one was tough!

Concept: Blondbraid â€" Whilst I usually almost always preference traditionally drawn/created artwork I really dig the composition and overall scene. Kind of reminds me of a 'God of War' boss battle (which is key to the theme) ;).

Playability: Lorenzo â€" So many tricks and traps! There just looks like so much to do here, timed-puzzles galore :D

Artistic Execution: Lorenzo â€" Again, a beautiful & detailed scene. With the snakes & torches animated it would really come to life. The pallet, the clean lines... all just stellar!

@DBOYWheeler - It was actually hard not to give this one the tick for concept. I really dig the colours and atmosphere here. (PS. I think I've seen those crystals before). ;)
@funnyboy044 - Cool scene, I can definitely play out potential puzzles within this background.
@Misj - I adore the quality of your artwork so much! In this instance, however, I felt it fell a little short of the theme guidelines. Beautiful scene none the less... I want to see more!

Gurok

Concept: DBoyWheeler
Playability: Nixxon
Artistic Execution: DBoyWheeler
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Rocchinator

Cassiebsg

Concept: Nixxon
Playability: lorenzo
Artistic Execution: Misj'

Rocchinator

OK, this was a close one, all amazing entries, Good Job everyone!

The winners are:

The 3rd place goes to the Great Tv Arcade, super galactic Final Fight of Nixxon!
Here its your thropy:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/saxvkpg.png[/imgzoom]

The 2nd place goes to the Outstanding  Animal Wild, mad cientist Cartoonish awesomeness Final Fight of Misj'!
Here its your thropy:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/FbMRKAF.png[/imgzoom]

The 1st place goes to the Magnificent Dungeon Multi-trapped mummy drama Final Fight of lorenzo!
Here its your thropy:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/1YuqQaU.png[/imgzoom]

CONGRATULATION FOR EVERYONE!]

lorenzo I want too see what you come up with the next BACKGROUND BLITZ!

DBoyWheeler

Misj'

Cassiebsg

funnyboy044

Well done everybody! These entries were really good.

Nixxon

lorenzo

Great entries everybody and thanks for the votes! :)
I'll try to come up with a new theme as soon as possible.

dactylopus

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Well done to the 3 winners.  Outstanding work!

All the entries here pleased me no end.

Keep`em`rolling in folks!

Danvzare

Congrats your three. You all deserve it. :-D
And good job on the entries all around everyone. There were some tough choices.

Blondbraid

Congratulations, and to the three winners especially, your BGs were awesome,
such a shame I didn't get time to vote! :-D

selmiak

Congrats to all the winners.
May I have your attention for a moment, now please consider painting an interesting background for the new AGS sierra style default template. This thread is in need of some colorful entries! ;) :-D 8-)
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54956.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk