Ancient city set graphics :)

Started by KyriakosCH, Thu 15/06/2017 03:34:03

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

What do you think of this ancient greek city set? :) Made it in Blender.
(new set added, 1/7 ;) )

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

It looks nice. And it looks like it would fit right in with CivIII as well. :nod:

Mandle

Looks great! I made the image zoomable:

[imgzoom]https://s14.postimg.org/p6yi03tsh/civ.png[/imgzoom]

KyriakosCH

KyriakosCH

A very different approach (and my new model of the Leonidaion of Olympia :) )

Danvzare

I like it, but there's something about that red square shaped building that's rubbing me the wrong way. Probably because it's at a slight angle compared to the red buildings next to it, and the wall in front of it.

KyriakosCH

That is the "Leonidaion" of Olympia :-D

Yes, it is angled, based on the reconstruction too, though it was slightly less angled there. Eg more like this one:

Recon i based it on: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0b/bf/b4/0bbfb4ce5c5c6f0584ceaa40d842ad12.jpg

By the way, do you see the potential for an adventure map? :=

Danvzare

Ah that would explain the annoying angles. Damn Romans can't build around a basic grid! (laugh)

And yes, I could definitely see the potential for an adventure game map. It could make quite a nice zoomed out view of an entire city.

KyriakosCH

Hey, the original setting is greek, though most of the concept art presents the roman era, with some (minor) additions (laugh)

Danvzare

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 27/06/2017 13:53:26
Hey, the original setting is greek, though most of the concept art presents the roman era, with some (minor) additions (laugh)
I thought it might have been Greek,
but the article you linked me to mentioned the Romans, and considering I can't fully tell the difference between their architecture,
I thought it would have been a safer bet to assume it was Roman. :-[

KyriakosCH

[imgzoom]https://s7.postimg.org/5kjk61m2z/mapeg.png[/imgzoom]

Do you like this as a map? not finished)

Danvzare

Oh yes, that is very lovely. All it needs is some sort of better framing, and then it'll be perfect.

KyriakosCH

What kind of framing do you suggest? A simple monochromatic rectangular outline?

selmiak

KyriakosCH

More buildings doesn't make sense, given there are no more in the setting anyway ;)

Hm, some early-stage screens (not caring about textures finalization atm)

Danvzare

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 29/06/2017 16:52:17

What kind of framing do you suggest? A simple monochromatic rectangular outline?
Ooh that's a toughie.
Well if you can't add more buildings, what about more trees? Or perhaps a fancy greek looking border made from marble. These are just a few ideas, to be honest I'm not quite sure.

KyriakosCH

I think you'll like it now, Dan ^_^

Danvzare

It's nice, and the change in colours is definitely an improvement. But the border is just a bit too plain... I think ThreeOhFour's article on maps in adventures games might help you with some inspiration: http://ben304.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/maps-in-adventure-games.html

KyriakosCH

Hey, that wasn't the border; i was just showcasing the actual city :=

Ali

I love the detail. However, when scaled up the anti-alias filtering is a bit too strong. At 4x the edges look a bit blurry. In blender you can get sharper edges by selecting Catmull-Rom filtering and lowering (I think!) the filter value to 0.8 or something like that. Then, when scaled up, the result might read a little more like traditional pixel-art, but without jaggy edges.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk