Always Ascii at a keyboard without ">","<" and "|" in Win7?

Started by Kumpel, Mon 26/06/2017 13:22:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumpel

Hello,

as my 2012er notebook is as good as dead now because the video card seems to be broken (chess board pattern und BSODS everywhere but in safe mode), I switched to an even older one until I can afford a new notebook. But when I tried to return to coding my game, I noticed the keyboard is missing the ">","<" and "|"-key (usually left from the y or z key).

Do I really have to use ASCII code combinations all the time to get these basic symbols for coding? (wrong)(roll):-X

Have you guys ever encountered this problem? How did you help yourself?

Do you guys have any idea or know a software that makes it possible to create custom shortkeys for these 3 symbols in win 7 so that I can use them in the AGS Editor?

Cheers
Kumpel

CaesarCub

You could always try changing the Keyboard layout, until you find one that will have the < > and | keys on some other place.
Or you can create your own keyboard layout and make your own key combinations: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/keyboardlayouts.aspx

NicolaGs

There's also this program : Sharpkeys, that I use for the exact same reason as you on my old laptop.

You tell the program which key you want to change (by pressing it) and then with which key you want to replace it.
As the key doesn't physically exist on your keyboard, you can use the Windows Virtual Keyboard to simulate the "<>" key press.
The program then writes the changes to the registry, which then become permanent (but reversible).
My first game : I Want Out!

Kumpel

Thanks for your ideas! I tried some programs but actually I must have been blind though. The key I have been looking for so desperately is just a few positions away from the usual location... (left from the spacetab...) I swear, it wasn't there f

I love it when problems just solve themself right before I go to bed (laugh)
anyway... back to coding everyone. The crisis is averted! :=

Adeel

For future reference, always look for on-screen keyboards. And to create custom shortcut keys for anything (which you can use in any program), try AutoHotKey

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk