Fortnightly Writing Competition - Faustian Bargain (Results)

Started by kconan, Tue 27/06/2017 07:00:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocchinator

Sinitrena Thanks for the feedback, I'm almost self taught in english, I know my limitations, I like to write stories, but never give the try to write in english so this was my first try :tongue: , I will try to get better. about the quote, yes, it's, here in Argentina is "Las armas las carga el Diablo" my granny used to say it, its a commmon quote here.

Frodo

The entries are all really good.  Makes it hard to vote.  :grin:

Sinitrena, didn't know that Robert Johnsen apparently sold his sold.  My story \ Jacob Knight honestly wasn't based on him.  :cool:

Anyway, here's my votes. 

BEST BARGAIN:   Rocchinator.  I feel so sorry for Eric.  All he wanted, was to be with his wife.  But his desire to do that, became his own, personal hell. 

BEST DEVIL:   BlondBraid.  Old Man Sunshine is SO devious - appearing nice and sympathetic, then tricking poor Candice at the end. 

BEST SETTING:   Mandle.  The Devil's office is so beautifully described, with so much detail.  I just love it. 

BEST WRITING STYLE:   BlondBraid.  Love the rhyming style.  Not every line rhymes perfectly, but it must be really tricky to get words that rhyme, as well as getting your meaning across.  Well done. 

Mandle

Blondbraid

Sinitrena Well, I wrote the first part before the rest, it started with the idea of old man sunshine and I wanted to create something like felt like part of old folklore.
I didn't get any idea of what sort of bargain he would make until just a few days before the deadline. I noticed some of the sentences rhymed and it sort of flowed from there,
but if I had more time, I would probably worked rhymes into the intro too. You were right about me being inspired by song too, but also opera.
I actually got the idea of the curse that befalls Candice from Kundry in Wagner's opera Parsifal. :)

Anyway, here is my vote:
Best bargain: Roccinator, it was a good twist indeed.
Best devil: Sinitrena, because Beliar was a fascinating and fun character, and even if all the deals weren't quite tied together in the end, it was impressive to have him attempt so many deals at once!
Best setting: Baron, because the gleefully corrupt setting gave me some serious Blackadder vibes, and it was entertaining reading about all the insane schemes in the emperors court.
Best writing style: Mandle, because I like how the writing and fonts gave him a very special voice, a cool touch indeed!

Mandle

Best Bargain: Frodo. Yeah I must agree with Baron. Such a simple deal, but enough to change the character's life forever, and end it!
Best Devil: BlondBraid... I can honestly see Old Man Sunshine as a character from ancient folklore (was he?)
Best Setting/World: Baron, not only for the names, but mostly for the names!
Best Writing/Style: Blondbraid, for the amazing rhyming that still told the story perfectly. Damn hard to do!

kconan

1st place, Blondebraid 

2nd place, Mandle 

3rd place, Frodo 

I've counted, recounted, and re-recounted some more...Congrats to Blondebraid for winning the comp!  And congrats to Mandle and Frodo for making the top three.  There were lots of entrants this go 'round, as well as lots of unconventional and awesome takes on the theme.  Good show FWC peeps!

Hosting duties are officially turned over to you, Blondebraid!

Rocchinator

YAY! Congrats to the winners really enjoyed this contest really entertaining, Well done everyone!

Baron

I demand another recount, just to be sure. ;)

Congratulations to all the winners!

Frodo

Congrats to Blondraid for winning, and also Mandle.  :grin:

And of course, all the entrants.  :wink:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk