Photobucket $400 charge

Started by Slasher, Fri 30/06/2017 06:22:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

I see Photobucket now want $400 to host your images!

Gurok

That's the 500 GB plan. What are you hosting that such a plan would even make sense?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Gilbert

Be more specific on the details. Topics and post contents like this are just click bait.
Only the 500 GB storage option costs this much, and that's the annual fee, not a monthly plan.

There are still free accounts, though from the new terms it seems to have disabled direct linking now, which could be an inconvenience to many. Doesn't matter much to me though, as I am using a heavily outdated browser, which probably due to (lack of) security, is unable to display images linked directly from many hosting sites, that include photobucket and tinypic, etc., so many forum threads are actually void of images, and I have to paste the url of the image to another tab to see them(sometimes this doesn't work either).

Ninja'ed by Gurok: I think people may need that much to host HD movies, though personally I don't see why someone would choose Photobucket for this.

Stupot

I lost loads of images off of PB a while back. Loads of Japan pics and festival stuff. They can kiss my ass, $500 or otherwise.

Slasher

I'm only using the basic account..

It's because I am 3rd party hosting...

selmiak

But it seems not even copy+pasting the url works anymore, it then still only shows the photobucket placeholder image directly on photobucktet. If you still have access to all your images just download them and rehost them somewhere else, like imgur or the like. I wouldn't pay anything just for image hosting. you can also upload everything to deviantart or set up a picture gallery on a free webhost and directly link the images to every forum or wherever else you want to display them. doesn't twitter have an imagehost too? no idea about linking to twitter images though, maybe they block something to make you visit the site... and these are just the first options that come to mind while waking up, there countless possibilities online for image hosting ;) 8-)

Khris

It's amazing that they use a JPEG for that... even the ad popup on their website used a JPEG riddled with artifacts. Did yahoo buy them...? (roll)
R.I.P. photobucket.

In case people missed it:

https://imgur.com/

Mandle

Why would they do this?!

Are they trying to become obsolete!?

Danvzare

DBoyWheeler

I left DA a long time ago due to troublemakers harassing me.

I do have Google Photos, but don't know how to share photos from there onto message boards.

But I also have Flickr, so there's that, just need to watch my uploads, I s'pose.

Khris

Let's check Google Photos:

Works fine, but the URL is not exactly short. You can usually get an image's direct URL by right-clicking it and selecting "Copy image location".

Edit: ok, apparently only I can see that :P
Edit2: added photo to a shared album, it seems to work now

Crimson Wizard

Google links sometimes look like part of the document is encrypted there :).
(Maybe it is image hash? hmmmmm...)

BTW: https://goo.gl/

selmiak

google photos doesn't display anything in FF and a broken image link in chrome. not good for crosslinking, direct linking could work though.

Cassiebsg

Yeah, time to find another place to put my pics. :-\
Oh well, they were being a pain anyway.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

is this this ransomware they are talking about? :P

Danvzare

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 30/06/2017 14:26:54
I left DA a long time ago due to troublemakers harassing me.
DA now has a storage place called Sta.sh where you can pretty much upload anything without anyone ever seeing it unless you give them a link to it. Thus no harassment. It's what I use for any pictures I upload onto here. It provides you with 2gb, and I've been using it for years and still haven't even gotten a quarter of that space full.

Phemar

My avatar seems to be working fine. I have like 200 images on Photobucket and it says my storage is only 1% full, so that all seems to be fine.

However my issue with Photobucket is that they seem to have changed their interface to something really annoying and their website is slooooow as heck these days. And I mean really slow, it's still loading as I type this message and I can stream HD video with my connection.

Frodo

All my Photobucket images broke a few days ago, including my avatar (Marco Hietala is a god).   :sad:
So I downloaded all my pictures from Photobucket, and saved them on to Imgur.  Seems good so far.  :smiley:

horusr

Imgur is cool but blocked in some countries. Like Turkey. Why the hell imgur is blocked in Turkey?!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk