Desperately in seek of some help with video compression + ags video playback

Started by Tycho Magnetic Anomaly, Fri 30/06/2017 08:33:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hey folks.

I have a project which will feature about a 1 min video at 320x240..  Ideally the size of this video should not be over 100 or so meg, give or take a few meg.

The animation for this video as been arranged in After Effects ,and although I provided the elements for the animation someone else is doing the layout/rendering in after effects, so I don't have any direct access to it with regarding this video.

Ok so the trouble is that the person who is rendering the video can only seem to get a file size of 13meg with horrific compression. (unusable) ..... OR  a 1.3gig file.

Although I cannot see what the person on after effects is seeing, and although I have not had any direct experience with after effects I am convinced there is has to be some other options other then 13mg  or 1.3gig.

Ive been messing about with video compression for a while and I just know that video can be improved well beyond the 13mg version, but nowhere near the 1.3gig version

The other issue is that the person cannot upload the 1.3gig version for me to try compress with 3rd party tools for the game, because the file is so huge (we both have very bad internet) I know if I had the 1.3gig file I could do a million things to improve the situation.

My request is if anyone on this forum uses after effect, and if they are familiar with video compression, is it possible they could take a look at our after effects project file and see if you can get this video at a size that is reasonable for the game (about 100meg)  but without too much loss of quality.

I don't mind if the video is in 30 or 25ps .. nor do i mind compressing the audio down to something stupid, but the video for me its very important as much crisp and clear quality is maintained.. right now the 13meg version is so bad its embarrassing.

Anyway.. if anyone could help with this they will get their name in the game closing credits for sure

ALSO what is the most ideal format for ags to playback? I'm looking for quality and smoothness of playback,..  i assume ogg or something? or can it play back avi? wmv?, mpg4?

Khris

I once used this: http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/ to compress a gameplay video. 1920x1080 running over a minute came in at 1.6 GB, iirc. After turning it into .ogv it was a 60MB file without any noticeable loss in quality.
Also, as both a very recent thread in Beginner's Technical questions and the manual state, AGS supports lots of common video formats including ogv.

selmiak

I do a lot of stuff with AE, send me the project file and all assetts and I can try to make it work :)

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hey up guys, thanks so much for the replies...

We had more time to fiddle with this and what seems to to be the best option is getting it out of After effects as clean and possible then using a 3rd part tool to convert it to ogv with suitable quality maintained.. we are still having trouble with it, but if the worst comes to the worse I will give you the project file to see if there is any magic you can do with it.

It "might" be ok in the end, still not sure.. ill keep ya posted anyhoo

thanks again for the responses!

arj0n

I use ffmpeg2theora (freeware) a frontend.
Here's a zip with ffmpeg2theora (win, mac-os and linux) + the frontend: ffmpeg2theora+frontend.zip (20mb)

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

cheers arjon! ...  i got this sorted in the end and the very last min.

I did come across your suggestion, but the command line system had me running for the hills ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk