MAGS July "I Come Here Often" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sat 01/07/2017 01:32:51

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS August?

Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage by DBoyWheeler
9 (81.8%)
Disgust by horusr
0 (0%)
That Day by Cassiebsg
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: Tue 15/08/2017 01:09:43

Stupot

Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage

by DBoyWheeler
Disgust
by horusr
That Day
by Cassiebsg

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please use the poll at the top of this page.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: August 14th

Cassiebsg

Disgust:
Spoiler

Well... I did started this game, but the green text and story wasn't enough to catch me. I'm really not into reading a novel on screen... :-[
I'm not sure if there was some game action, since I ended up giving up. Sorry.
Oh, nice scary intro btw. (nod) (laugh)
[close]

Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage
Spoiler

I'm still playing and enjoying it. Shame about the walk cycle as it makes the game less enjoyable.
Will update this once I'm finished playing.
[close]

That day:
Spoiler

Interesting idea... maybe if it wasn't a demo... (laugh)
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

horusr

Come on, it takes just a few minutes to read :~( ... How long you went into story?

Cassiebsg

A couple of minutes, I got bored around something becoming grey... :-[
I get bored with long dialogues, which is why most my dialogues lines aren't longer than a couple lines.
Maybe if you had turned off the menu and presented the dialogue in a black BG, I would at least stick to the end hoping  to be rewarded for it.

Sorry, I now you put a lot of effort into it. I'll wait for the post-MAGS version to play again. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

horusr

Well you just stopped reading at twist point...
Thank you for trying to read my game! But I dont think there will be any post mags version of it... I will leave it as how it is and will think it as first trying and failing.

Creamy

QuoteWell you just stopped reading at twist point...
You only have yourself to blame. When people download AGS games, they probably expect more than just read green lines of text on a black screen.

QuoteI dont think there will be any post mags version of it... I will leave it as how it is and will think it as first trying and failing.
Why? The story is OK. It would be easy to add a couple of pictures. You could even use a voice off and keep the text verbatim.

horusr

Well, I dont want to blame anyone. The result is my plan b. And I warned people about there is being no game. So I can't understand if they expect more than that.

And original plan b was having voiceover but Chicky found the story too long and he has a little rime to work on it. I was going to use my own voice vut I didnt want peÃ,,±ple to suffer because of my bad english. But if there wasnt Chicky, I wont get motüvated to write the story, so thanks to him.

Actually Morgan LeFlay suggested vorking on game and releasing it afterdeadline, byt I wanted to join mags whatever happens. So people can blame me for that decision.

I was the only one who have free time but also I was the most untalented one in team.

And I am happy to have a title screen. There is a title screen because I was bored and drew it. There could be just black screen and green text only. And what is people's problem with green text, is that really that ugly? I may change it in the future. Please suggest new color for that.

The sad thing is my second attemp to make something will be also failure because I can't write rap battle for it and nobody else want to heelp me with writing.

I am really sorry for this happened and I apologise from players. Thanks everyone whoplayed it and Idk why, writing this feels like writing suicide note :D

LostTrainDude

I don't think there is anything to feel guilty about or to be ashamed of (if this is what is being discussed here).

Many of us like MAGS "just because", not because it is a competition we want to win. It can just be a challenge :) At the end of the trip you will have learned something new (no matter how much) or fine-tuned what you already knew and, best case scenario, you will have a product for you to showcase and for people to enjoy :)

I played Disgust knowing what the premise was and, while I don't have this specific genre of games among my favorites, I see nothing wrong about it, especially considering it was published as a way to cope with the deadline.

Horusr, I don't think you have to apologize to your players :) You made a voice-overed disclaimer in the game intro and also stated it in the game's database
You did what you could and, most of all, you tried to get other people to work with you, which means networking. Team management is very often a very tough task, as much as time management is.
Game jams such as MAGS and many others are often a way (if not the way) to begin to realize the hardship of game development and design :)

So, bottom line, I think that there is no real failure when it comes to learning.
As long as your objective is to improve, to me there is nothing wrong with the journey that takes you there!
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

horusr

Thank you for your positive and encouraging words,  you cleaned my tears.

Creamy

QuoteI am really sorry for this happened and I apologise from players. Thanks everyone whoplayed it and Idk why, writing this feels like writing suicide note
No need to apologize. I realize that my last post was too harsh.

QuoteAnd I warned people about there is being no game.
I'm perfectly fine with that too. As I said, I actually like the story. I just meant that it could benefit from a better presentation.

QuoteAnd what is people's problem with green text, is that really that ugly?
Green is EVIL! 8-0
Seriously, I don't mind the color either.

QuoteI was the only one who have free time but also I was the most untalented one in team.
I don't think there's such a thing as innate talent. Maybe you could try to improve the game on your own ?

LostTrainDude

Quote from: Creamy on Tue 01/08/2017 14:45:18
I don't think there's such a thing as innate talent. Maybe you could try to improve the game on your own ?

I agree with Creamy :D Now you have all the time you want to experiment with it and expanding it, if you want to.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

horusr

Ok, I will try to improve it then. But I also want to join this month's MAGS and some lowrezjam where you need to make 64x64 res game. I know it is not a good idea doing 2 things at same time but Idk, I want to try...

Stupot

@horusr - steady on, dude. I really wouldn't recommend doing two game jams at the same time. Choose one and stick to it. Or, if possible, make one game that happens to fit the guidelines of both jams.

Slasher

QuoteI am really sorry for this happened and I apologise from players. Thanks everyone whoplayed it and Idk why, writing this feels like writing suicide note
If this were my case I would have been dead a 1000 times (laugh)

Perseverance is the key ;)

As long as you've learnt something then it has been worth it (nod)

So don't give up, get bad (laugh)

horusr

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 01/08/2017 18:20:50
Or, if possible, make one game that happens to fit the guidelines of both jams.

That is good idea! Other jam has no theme, only res limit.
Quote from: Slasher on Tue 01/08/2017 19:06:22
So don't give up, get bad (laugh)

Ok! I won't give up

Riaise

Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage by DBoyWheeler:
Spoiler
This is a cute little game with its own style. I quite like the blocky colours, although a few more details would help to add interest to open spaces, like the hallway. I know that animation is difficult, I'm bad enough at it myself ((laugh)), but the walkcycle was just too jerky. With a bit more practice you'll get it looking better. Maybe try looking at some walkcycle tutorials like this, just to see what each frame should look like in general.
The puzzles were quite simple, but I like that there was a full story and that it all made sense. Well done!
[close]

Disgust by horusr:
Spoiler
OK, that was interesting. I didn't expect the story to take a turn like that! It's a shame that there wasn't more to it, but I understand that sometimes things don't go to plan. I will say, though, that the graphic on the menu screen is good, so don't doubt your own abilities! You may have more talent than you realise. ;)
[close]

That Day by Cassiebsg:
Spoiler
Lovely graphics, as always, Cassie! I liked where the story was headed, it became quite intriguing towards the end. It's a shame that the demo is so short, but I'm looking forward to the full version! Great work on getting this much done in the short space of time you had (and with a dodgy internet connection, too! :-D)
[close]

DBoyWheeler

Thanks, I bookmarked the animating tutorial.

Izera

Spoiler
It's the most complete entry that actually plays like a finished game. Congratulations for wrapping that up! As some people already mentioned - the walkcycle is so jerky that it makes the game less enjoyable. The story is nice - I love the idea of getting rid of the bad omen. I know that the main character visits the stage 3 times (or more) so it technically follows the rules of this MAGS, however, I think that it would "feel" better if those 3 visits happened at different days. This would show that the hero is deeply connected to this place. I think you can easily build upon what you have and add next two days with different puzzles that you have to solve before the band lets you sing with them in the end :)
[close]

Disgust by horusr:
Spoiler
The story is fresh and original, good job! I love that the main character is a creep (the sniffing scene was awesome). It's a pity that you didn't manage to add any interactivity - it could have turned out really fun! I'm waiting for an updated version - I will gladly play as a creepy psychotic guy :D
[close]

That Day by Cassiebsg:
Spoiler
The style is distinct and brings to mind paper models (I would actually love a game made in "paper" style you achieved in the school location. I know it probably wasn't on purpose, but I still liked it :) ). The fun thing about the boat is that I actually wasnt sure what I have seen. I was looking elsewhere and it happened too fast for me to know for sure if the man pushed the girl out of the boat or if she fell out. This made the final decision really tense :)
[close]

LostTrainDude

Congratulations everybody for your very different releases :)

Spoiler
Much like theatrical superstitions, there are probably as many superstitions for musicians as well (even though in this case was more of a childhood trauma) :) I agree with those who say that the walkcycle it's what makes the game less enjoyable, especially when it comes to walking through the long backstage corridor, but other than that the game delivers a simple and complete fun.
[close]
Disgust by horusr:
Spoiler
As I already said before I'm not really into the visual novel genre, but I still applaud your efforts and the story itself. It was also fun to see the little "easter egg" which shows the WIP images for the background. If this is going to be ever released as an actual adventure game, I will be more than happy to play it!
[close]
That Day by Cassiebsg:
Spoiler
The mood and the graphics somewhat took me back to an adventure game for PS1 I remember, although never really played much: Ark of Time. I look forward to an "extended" and polished release of this because it seems interesting and I would like to actually know what is going on in the game (laugh).
[close]

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I have had my plate full for couple of weeks so have not got around to getting through the entries. This weekend for sure, I really look forward to playing them, and will vote before the deadline ends!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk