Cannot play in fullscreen?

Started by Radiant, Sat 01/07/2017 09:59:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Two players report that they are unable to play an AGS game (specifically, Heroine's Quest) in full screen, they get a black screen instead. This is apparently limited to Windows 10. Does this look familiar to anyone? Any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks!

Click'd

Did they say which resolution their screen is? And if they have more than one monitor?

Khris

Tested it and can report that I, too, got a black screen using Direct3D.
If you want fullscreen and have a res of 1920x1080 like me, the best you can do is DirectDraw, the 5x filter and all borders checked.

Kitty Trouble

I have windows 10, and default settings fullscreen works for me. Despite it being hard to alt+tab out of, which is a drawback to AGS I guess.

Edit: it won't accept my keyboard inputs, so I can't save.

Khris

Indeed; adding borders somehow disables keyboard input ???

Anyway, I managed to improve on my previous suggestion: DirectDraw5, fullscreen, 4x filter, uncheck(!) borders.
This made my monitor scale up the game nicely (just narrow black borders on the sides), and keyboard input worked fine.
This seems to be the ideal configuration for 1920x1080 monitors.

More info:
On my laptop (1366x768 on Intel 4 Series Express), choosing 2x, 3x or max works fine, both with Direct3D and DirectDraw5. Borders checked or no doesn't make a difference either. The game always runs fine.

The issues seem to be with powerful graphics cards in combination with Win10?

Radiant

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Sat 01/07/2017 10:31:20
Did they say which resolution their screen is? And if they have more than one monitor?
Moderately high resolution (1440 or up), and no second monitor.

Quote from: Khris on Sat 01/07/2017 12:54:21
Indeed; adding borders somehow disables keyboard input ???
Huh. That's a rather serious bug, then.

Does DirectDraw5 with "max" scaling work? Because that would allow us to have a default config.

Khris

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 02/07/2017 08:32:33Does DirectDraw5 with "max" scaling work? Because that would allow us to have a default config.
Yes, worked fine for me.

arj0n

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk