Terror of the Vampire! [MAGS 2017]

Started by Scavenger, Sat 01/07/2017 11:39:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Scavenger

TERROR OF THE VAMPIRE!

A new Game by Eggie, Scavenger, and Samael

In the vaguely 19th century, in vaguely Eastern Europe, a vampire menace grips the countryside! The menace of superstition and the belief that vampires exist!

Join Dr. Ego Goodmind, BHD, as he does research for his newest psychology book, The Empirical Vampirical. But is he in over his incredibly big head this time? Only time will tell.

Featuring:

• 8-bit Graphics with hand programmed raster effects.
  • Plenty of obtuse puzzles, and even more obtuse characters!
  • Animation! So much animation!
  • A searing critique of contemporary psychiatry (assuming you live in the 19th century)!

Download Link (24mb)

Click'd

It even comes with an "Extras" folder. I like that.

Spoiler
If you try to pick up the chain after you freed Byron the game acts as if he's still there, the dialog plays. Greyed out, though.

And the game crashed. Some time later, that is. When talking to Hoxton.

---------------------------
in "GlobalScript.asc", line 1653
from "__DialogScripts.asc", line 12
from "Dialog 4", line 78

Error: FaceCharacter: characters are in different rooms
[close]

Eggie

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Sat 01/07/2017 11:57:37
Spoiler
If you try to pick up the chain after you freed Byron the game acts as if he's still there, the dialog plays. Greyed out, though.

And the game crashed. Some time later, that is. When talking to Hoxton.

---------------------------
in "GlobalScript.asc", line 1653
from "__DialogScripts.asc", line 12
from "Dialog 4", line 78

Error: FaceCharacter: characters are in different rooms
[close]
Hey, thanks for the reporting.
It's not pretty but this quick and dirty fix should at least stop the game from crashing at that moment: https://db.tt/jNWljByQn2

Scavenger

Mandle

Looks amazing!

I think this line in your blurb "But is he over his incredibly big head this time?" should maybe read: "But is he in over his incredibly big head this time?"

Can't wait to play!

DBoyWheeler

Played it for a bit...

Spoiler
I got to where the stool was, but when I tried to use the meat tenderizer item, the game crashed.
[close]

Scavenger

Spoiler
What did you use the meat tenderiser on? What was the error message? I can't find anything that would crash the game there.
[close]

DBoyWheeler

Spoiler
I was sitting on the stool after it rotted.  I tried to use the meat tenderiser on the stool while sitting.  But as soon as the cursor went over the stool, the game crashed.
[close]

IndieRetroNews

The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Riaise

Argh, I should have read this thread earlier. I've just had the same problem as DBoy.

Spoiler
I clicked the meat tenderiser while sitting on the stool and the game crashed with this message:
[close]

It's a shame, I'm really loving the game so far!

Shadow1000

I'm having the same crash. But is anyone sure that it's necessary to do that to solve the puzzle? I actually don't know the solution myself but if it can be solved another way then it's not a game-breaker.

SHADOW

Scavenger

Thanks for the feedback, everyone, I'll get to work bugfixing as soon as I can!

I hope at least y'all enjoy it even if it is (slightly) buggy.

I can tell you that using any item while sitting down is not the solution, at least.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Scavenger on Mon 03/07/2017 20:42:18

I can tell you that using any item while sitting down is not the solution, at least.

Well, what I was thinking is
Spoiler
that you want to get the bar owner to sit on the rotten stool. But you can't move any of the stools while he's out because he hears you. I am guessing that you have to muffle the sounds of moving the stools or something but I don't see any way to do that, so I moved on to playing the other games from the competition :)
[close]

Scavenger

Shadow1000:

Spoiler
while Hoxton is away, MOVE the table.
[close]

TooDrunkToFuck

I have some problem to play this game on fullscreen mode,  directdraw do not support 640*480 8bit, this graphic card don't support this resolution
if i select direct3d, driver of direct3d don't support 256 color.....
Any fix, please?

Scavenger

If you change the Graphics Filter to 4x nearest neighbour, it should try to run the game at a higher resolution. Unfortunately, if your graphics card is too new, you may have to play in a window instead!

TooDrunkToFuck

Quote from: Scavenger on Tue 04/07/2017 13:39:07
If you change the Graphics Filter to 4x nearest neighbour, it should try to run the game at a higher resolution. Unfortunately, if your graphics card is too new, you may have to play in a window instead!

i have a 6900 gpu, isn't too new, but fullscreen don't work on any mode.

:~(

Shadow1000

Quote from: Scavenger on Tue 04/07/2017 08:20:22
Shadow1000:

Spoiler
while Hoxton is away, MOVE the table.
[close]

Thanks! Even though there actually was a hint to this effect in the boy's room upstairs, I don't think I would have ever figured it out on my own.

Shadow1000

Arrrggghhh! I was really enjoying the game and then it crashed :(

Spoiler
when you use the item intended to unscrew the yoke and the bell falls, the game ends
[close]

I really hope there's a solution!

Scavenger

I don't get it. I tested that bit over and over, there's no crash there! Can you give me the error message that pops up? I've been trying to crush bugs since we released so any information is good x3

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk