Bury Me in the Sand

Started by Funkpanzer, Mon 03/07/2017 00:17:34

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpook

The animations look great! Those water reflections must've taken a while!

xBRANEx

Wow, they are amazing! A beautiful style indeed!

The color of the animation in the first background is really trippy. I love it!

selmiak

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Tue 22/08/2017 18:33:18
Thanks AnasAbdin!

I had time to go in and finish all the backgrounds last week and add some water animations.

I just quotet this to see the awesome animations on this page too :)

The waves in the sunset animation is really mesmerizing. the wavy patterns are fun to watch and how they all line up in the framecount. The reflections on it just nails it. awesome.

the wavyness of the ocean in the second background is awesome too, really dizzy trippy moving, just like when you watch the real ocean and get attached to it! :D

Andre swimming looks so fluid and things like the waterbubbles on his hands are such nice details!

Hobo

Fantastic animations and they work so perfectly with the color palette. Really liking this style.

Pilchard

Those finished, animated backgrounds are impressive, and that is a wonderful bit of animation for Andre swimming.

Glad the spruced-up version of the game is taking shape - as you know, I really enjoyed the MAGS edition.

Surdy

Looks fantastic! Keep up the good work :D

Funkpanzer

Thanks guys!

@Hobo: Working in 8 colours started as a nightmare but I learned so many new things about colour theory and shading that I can't look back!

Mildly spoilery...

This was the first water scene I attempted but I think it turned out the best! Shoutout to mid-summer me who thought the ocean was made out of balls. :cool:

Blondbraid

Wow, that is truly impressive water, and so smooth animation too!

Stupot

selmiak

spectacular water man! I have to fasten the seatbelt on my chair to not get dragged away :-D

Funkpanzer

I was taking a break from my crazy life with some sweet, sweet Cuphead and remembered I wanted to release this before the end of the August! So while this strange, 24°C October rain pours down and before climate change or nuclear winter makes computers, and more specifically interactive fiction, a thing of the past I'm going pour myself a drink and hammer out what's left!

In the last few weeks the main beach area got a big overhaul and a lot of non-essential items and NPC's have been added. There is also a complete soundtrack now, including a big thumping dance version of the game's theme for closing scene.

I'm really looking forward to sharing the complete version with ya'll, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Blondbraid

That's super nice to hear, I'm looking forward to the release! 8-)

Cassiebsg

Ohh  nice!

and I'm looking forward to the complete version. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

this is good to hear :) looking good, keep it up! ;-D

Funkpanzer

The main menu got a more appropriate overhaul. Throughout the game, a lot of the music comes from a small portable radio that Ernie has with him. In the MAGS version I had this weird brick that was based off a 70's portable radio but it always felt out of place and I couldn't find a good way to implement it into the game.

Old main menu:

New main menu WIP:

It's still not quite finished but I think it's a nice, busy contrast to the stark beach in the opening scene.

Here's the new menu music: https://soundcloud.com/charlietwitch/menu-theme/s-9IGCL

Let me know what you think!

Monsieur OUXX

SilverSpook

Looks great man! The new radio has much more style to it that fits in with the rest of the game, I think.

Gurok

This palette keeps tricking me! I keep thinking it's the EGA palette. It's very close -- like a more tasteful EGA. Great colours.

I like the new title screen a lot better, particularly the new font. It suits the beach context perfectly.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Pilchard

Just grooving to the menu theme now, it's great work!

Pleased to hear the complete version is imminent, looking forward to it.

selmiak

the more detailed book and radio are cool, also the addition of the beach hut. I'm not so sure of the resize of the chair and the ring. Maybe the original size or a small scaleup would look better and not so overloaded. Or maybe just the lifesaver ring, without the parts of the chair?
Some lifesaver rings have a rope attached to the outside of them at four spots, maybe add this for more details, the screen gets more and more detailed already, which I pretty much like :)
where is that radiowave from the antenna gone? make the invisible visible is always nice.

normally I'm a sans-serif guy by 85%, and in this case I somehow liked the serifed font better, also how the 'in the' was placed between the S and d is nice typography, but I see how you would run into placement problems for the title with the old size. cramming and stretching the serif font would probably look weird so it makes sense to use a not so tall font, though I like the old font!
You could animate that dithered colorramp in the font like the oceanwaves hitting the shore if you didn't already...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk