BACKGROUND BLITZ: The Café - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by lorenzo, Wed 05/07/2017 11:10:15

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

THE CAFÉ

What better place to gossip, have a drink, and annoy other patrons, than the café?

Spoiler
(from left to right) Vincent van Gogh, Café Terrace at Night; Edward Hopper, Nighthawks; Neuromancer; Gabriel Knight; Jean Béraud, At the Bistro; Quest for Glory IV; Interior of Seth Kinman's Table Bluff Hotel and Saloon, 1889
[close]
Your job is to draw a café, whether it's an elegant French bistrot, a cosy English pub in foggy Victorian London, an eerie tavern near Dracula's castle, a neon-filled futuristic bar, a sleazy saloon in the wild west, or something else entirely.

Deadline: the 19th 26th of July 2017.

Voting:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the kind of patrons that regularly visit the bar.
Playability: does it have clear walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: what's the feeling of the place? Does the image convey the wanted atmosphere?

Have fun and good luck!

Click'd

Quote from: lorenzo on Wed 05/07/2017 11:10:15
Deadline: the 19th of June 2017.
Sorry, I must have mislaid my time machine. :grin:

lorenzo

Ooops! (laugh) Sorry!
I've changed it, now.

DBoyWheeler

Nice how you included Quest for Glory IV's inn.

Rocchinator

I like the theme. I`m a little busy lately but ill see what i can do.

Nixxon

lorenzo

DBoyWheeler: it's such a cosy looking inn! Except for the garlic, maybe. And such a great game, too.

Rocchinator: come on Rocchinator, you can do it! The Background Blitz needs you.

Stupot

I'm thinking of doing something for this (he says).

lorenzo

Please do, Stupot, if you have the time. :)

Stupot

Here is my work-in-progress.
I won't have time to work on it much further. I certainly won't finish it, but I might at least try to change those placeholder benches before the deadline.

lorenzo

A bar at the top of a skyscraper, what a cool idea! I already like the look of it, it makes you want to grab a cocktail and admire the view.
If you (and others) need more time to finish your entry, let me know and I will extend the deadline.

Nixxon

Nice work stupot. Great vibe and colours. Would love to see what you could come up with re the dining tables. Maybe a spa for the clientelle? ;)

@lorenzo. If more time is permitted that would work really well for me. I'm keen to have a crack but I'm still finalising my AGS background template comp entry.

lorenzo

Sure! I will extend the deadline to July 26. :)

Nixxon

horusr

Once upon a time someone tried to draw some traditional ottoman cafe and failed and gave up at the start.
But he still thinks picture can nominate as "best stove looks like battery" and "worst tea-urn"   

Stupot

Thanks for the extra time, lorenzo. I'll see what I can do with it :-) The top-of-skyscraper bar idea is lifted directly from one that I went to recently. The glass barrier, wooden decking and general altitude are ripped directly from real life.

lorenzo

horusr: that's a good start, I like the hookah and the lamp, you should keep working on it! At the end, even if the result it's not what one expected, it's always a good exercise. Practice makes perfect and all that! ;)

Stupot: there's no better reference than real life!

Danvzare

Oh my goodness, two unfinished submissions and nothing else. This Background Blitz should have been called "The Unfinished Cafe" (laugh)
In all seriousness though, I expect you two to work on these backgrounds a bit more. They look like they have quite a bit of potential, and I want to see what they look like finished. :~(

Rocchinator

I'm trying to get to do something, glad you extended the time.

Cassiebsg

I'm working on something... happy you extended the deadline too. (nod)

EDIT:
I'm done... 1 day work :-D

Textures: Eric Matyas
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk