BACKGROUND BLITZ: The Café - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by lorenzo, Wed 05/07/2017 11:10:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

a bunch of intriguing entries so far .. keep at it folks!

Cassie great stuff..  its like a tropical escape themed cafe atop a sky scraper!

lorenzo

I agree with Tycho, great background Cassiebsg! And the patrons seem to be enjoying themselves too... except that guy on the left, he looks rather depressed. Nice attention to detail in the characters' pose!

Stupot

Nice work, Cassie. I especially admire your tables and chairs.

As you can see, I gave up trying to make good original furniture and reverted back to the original ones.
But I've spent a bit more time on some other parts of the picture. This is probably the final version. If I tweak it further, I'll let you know.

Spoiler
Here's the old version, for comparison:
[close]

Mandle

Stu, where is that cafe? Looks just like the kind of place my wife would love!

Stupot

The cafe kiosk bit with the brick walls was just made up by me, but the wooden terrace bit with the glass barrier was based on a bar atop the hotel Granbell in Shinjuku, kind of behind Kabukicho. I've been there twice, very nice sunset.

Rocchinator

My work is killing me lately, I cannot get the time to finish the background but here its a sketch of what im working on. This is a though month. :(

horusr

Blondbraid

lorenzo

Stupot: that's a nice improvement over the previous version! Too bad about the tables and chairs. :(

Rocchinator: I love your background, Rocchinator! I hope you'll be able to find the time to keep working on it, but it's already great in its current state.

Mandle

Quote from: lorenzo on Sat 22/07/2017 21:40:46
Rocchinator: I love your background, Rocchinator! I hope you'll be able to find the time to keep working on it, but it's already great in its current state.

+1

OMG, that toilet though :-X

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Looking great everyone.. well done
Rocchinator you must finish that!

Also I am thinking this contest should have been called The Bar now hehe

Who will be first to feature a coffee percolator!

Rocchinator

Thanks for the feedback  people, I'm pushing it. It's not finished yet but in case I cant make it here is something... but its still in progress

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/L3FBdoz.png[/imgzoom]

horusr

Misj'

It's a great theme, and I had an idea I wanted to draw...I even started some
early sketches. But I just can't find the time. It's really annoying because
I liked this one.

Nixxon

lorenzo

Rocchinator: how did you manage to make the toilet even more disgusting?! Great colours, they give the image a nice comic book feel.

Misj': that's too bad :( I would have loved to see your interpretation of the theme. If you feel like, you can show us some of those sketches, but I can understand if you don't want to.

I don't know if I can extend the deadline, I already changed it once. Having two background contests overlap probably didn't help. :-\

xBRANEx

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Love your final detailing/coloring rocc!
Cant wait for Misj and Branes now either!

xBRANEx

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/vdRuX5N.gif[/imgzoom]

Here it is! I promised myself I'll improve my pixel art skills this summer so I can finally start working on my dream game, the one I wanted to make in high school. I failed miserably in my first try, of course. I went through every little pitfall of the first game making experience.

Well, I'm coming back harder, still without the talents but I'll make the pixels align beautifully with brute force!!!

I learned so much doing this background and had so much fun. A lot of time was lost because I didn't know what I was doing but that's all the part of the process. I know this isn't the critics subforum but any advice and critique is more than welcome. It would be lovely if someone experienced who sees what I am doing wrong could explain to me what's faulty in my style. I lost patience and used gradients a lot in the end. I probably won't do that in the future but Tycho does that so elegantly I thought I could steal the trick. I thought wrong.

I added a little bit of animation at the end. I'm quite happy with that.

horusr

Loved that painting at the background

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk