[Solved] Voice speech getting cut short?

Started by Radiant, Wed 05/07/2017 23:08:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

I'm having a weird issue with Sierra-style speech portraits using voice samples.

With voice samples in OGG format, it works perfectly fine. With voice samples in MP3 format, however, the voice sample is cut off at about 75% of its length, and the portrait animation keeps playing indefinitely (normally the mouth closes when the sample concludes). This is AGS 3.3.0 but as far as I know speech code hasn't been changed since.

Short of converting literally 3000+ MP3 samples to OGG, does anyone have a suggestion on what is causing this and how to fix it?

Cassiebsg

Probably not it, but do the sound files end right away, or do they have a couple seconds silence after the last speech?
Try adding some silence to one file and see if it helps, otherwise I don't know, sorry.

But with Audacity it should not take you too long to convert all the files with 1 click. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 05/07/2017 23:08:32
With voice samples in OGG format, it works perfectly fine. With voice samples in MP3 format, however, the voice sample is cut off at about 75% of its length, and the portrait animation keeps playing indefinitely (normally the mouth closes when the sample concludes). This is AGS 3.3.0 but as far as I know speech code hasn't been changed since.

Checking the changelog.txt:

VERSION 3.3.3
<...>
- Fixed voice audio breaking playing on very rare occasions when clip format is OGG or MP3.
  The fix is imperfect, and there's very short pause occuring at same point of playback. The voice
  will continue playing though.

Dave Gilbert

Isn't there some kind of licensing issue with mp3s anyway? Oggs are probably better in the long run, plus the quality is slightly better.

Radiant

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 12/07/2017 21:07:28- Fixed voice audio breaking playing on very rare occasions when clip format is OGG or MP3.
I don't think that's related. My issue is rather "voice audio breaking playing pretty much all the time when clip format is MP3 but not OGG".

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 14/07/2017 18:03:22
Isn't there some kind of licensing issue with mp3s anyway? Oggs are probably better in the long run, plus the quality is slightly better.
There was, until some patent expired a couple months ago. But yes, we've solved this by converting everything to OGG, using MP3 was basically an oversight (although quality of MP3-converted-to-OGG probably isn't better, though).

Dave Gilbert

Ah! I didn't know that. Glad you got it working!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk