For the life of me I JUST CAN'T WRITE COMEDY!

Started by Yitcomics, Tue 23/05/2017 03:19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Quote from: manifest class on Sun 16/07/2017 14:24:04
If you aren't funny, please stop trying. There's nothing cringier than an unfunny developer that won't stop trying. :sealed:
I gotta agree with Izera on that one, you can learn comedy if you try hard and put a lot of effort into it. I think it's also worth thinking about how much of comedy that are cultural.
Some persons may be born funnier than others, but so much of comedy for adults hinges on social and cultural expectations.
Just think about kids, they mostly don't get political satire or subtle humor, but most adults do. Why? Because the adults have learned the context and background that makes those jokes funny.

Also, when writing comedy, remember to try to punch up, not down. It's fun to see selfish and privileged people in power mocked, but making fun of poor people, handicapped, crude stereotypes of minorities and so on usually just end up cringey and mean-spirited.

milkanannan

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 17/07/2017 09:52:54
Quote from: manifest class on Sun 16/07/2017 14:24:04
If you aren't funny, please stop trying. There's nothing cringier than an unfunny developer that won't stop trying. :sealed:
In other words, Al Lowe. (laugh)

Haha but he got so cringy it became funny again. It was some kind of eclipse! :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk