AGS 3.4 patch 4 : Japanese ANSI

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Thu 13/07/2017 23:28:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

The AGS 3.4 patch 4 update mentions :
Fixed game compilation on systems which have Japanese ANSI or similar locale
as default locale for non-Unicode applications.

Does that have impacts in the game's Japanese fonts and/or Japanese translation? Or is it just a compilation thing? Is it possible to make a game in Japanese?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Thu 13/07/2017 23:28:00
The AGS 3.4 patch 4 update mentions :
Fixed game compilation on systems which have Japanese ANSI or similar locale
as default locale for non-Unicode applications.

Does that have impacts in the game's Japanese fonts and/or Japanese translation? Or is it just a compilation thing? Is it possible to make a game in Japanese?

It does just what it sais: fixes compilation on those systems, because it was broken since previous version. Nothing else changed.

I do not know if it's possible to make game in Japanese. I'd think you would need some kind of hacks to make all letters work.

Monsieur OUXX

Irrelevant to the original question, but out of curiosity I investigated briefly, and I think it would be possible to do a game in Japanese with 60 to 200 characters. The basic 50-something characters are the "katanaka" (see a pixel font here : https://www.colourbox.com/vector/pixel-japanese-katakana-vector-18520378 and you'd be probbaly more comfortable with some extra characters, that make it up to about 200.
Then of course there are thousands of ideograms (kanjis) but I think you can do without them.

Gilbert

Actually read also this.
My links are broken for obvious reasons, but I may hunt for the files if anyone really cares.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk