Which style do you prefer for sierra-like adventure game?

Started by Izera, Sun 16/07/2017 11:27:32

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Will the 2x1 pixel still work in AGS? I mean, can you make sure that the character always stays "on-grid"?

I think what the 1x1 version is missing is detail. Have a look at the gif CaesarCub has posted and add some more dithering, especially on the left bridge part and the slopes.

Izera

Quote from: cat on Mon 17/07/2017 16:54:34
Will the 2x1 pixel still work in AGS? I mean, can you make sure that the character always stays "on-grid"?
I'm not sure, haven't checked yet. Probably I would have to use some programming magic to make this happen.
I think what the 1x1 version is missing is detail. Have a look at the gif CaesarCub has posted and add some more dithering, especially on the left bridge part and the slopes.
Yeah, more detail would help. Also some fixes (like in case of the animal skeleton - in 2x1 it can already stay as-is and in 1x1 there are lots of shapes and lines that need to be fixed)

I think that I'll go with 1x1. It seems most people like that version better even if they agree 2x1 is more retro :)

Danvzare

Well if you set the speed of the character to a multiple of 2, then yeah. It should stay "on-grid". At least in theory.
Personally though, I wouldn't mind such mis-matched pixels. And I doubt anyone would notice in this case anyway.

Chicky

I'm going to go against the trend a bit here and vote for the 2:1 pixel aspect, it looks right with the palette, will be quicker to make the backgrounds (you can get away with less detail) and I generally prefer the skulls/skeleton in that image. If you're aiming for the early Sierra style I think you've nailed it. I wouldn't worry about the character, I'd say there were too many pixels tall for it to be breasts.

That's just my opinion though, I'm no expect :)

selmiak

2x1 looks totally retro to me, so if you want that retro feel use this.
1x1 has more details and looks better imho...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk