R.I.P MSPaint :-(

Started by Stupot, Mon 24/07/2017 15:16:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

It seems that we are soon to say goodbye to a beloved member of this community.
According to the news, Microsoft are to discontinue Paint.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40705466

Click'd

What a strange development. Isn't Microsoft known for forcing built-in stuff on the user? It's the exact opposite here.

horusr

Did they improve it for years?

arj0n

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 24/07/2017 15:16:12
Microsoft are to discontinue Paint.
Although Paint 3D will still be available, I'll stick to Paint.net 8-)

CaesarCub

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Mon 24/07/2017 15:23:40
What a strange development. Isn't Microsoft known for forcing built-in stuff on the user? It's the exact opposite here.

It is very Microsoft, they take away the Paint tool, and force upon you the Paint 3D one.

Click'd

Quote from: CaesarCub on Mon 24/07/2017 15:29:22
Quote from: ClickClickClick on Mon 24/07/2017 15:23:40

It is very Microsoft, they take away the Paint tool, and force upon you the Paint 3D one.
3D is the FUTURE!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Rest in peace indeed... I never took to mspaint for some odd reason though, I came from an amiga / dpaint 3 and 4 .. When I got my first pc (sold my last amiga) I was horrified at its lack of features. However over the years I have come to respect and appreciate what people can do with it, and it is a bit sad it looks like its coming to an end of an era.

I saw this a while back on one of my fave art blogs.. really goes to show what you can get out of ms paint with a bit of artistic talent. What i particularly like about MS paint produced works is unlike any other graphics tool no matter what skill is put into the work the result always screams MS Paint.. and these works by this guy is a good example of that.
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/07/the-pixel-painter-a-97-year-old-man-who-paints-using-microsoft-paint-from-windows-95/

Danvzare

Quote from: arj0n on Mon 24/07/2017 15:26:41
Although Paint 3D will still be available, I'll stick to Paint.net 8-)
Same here. :-D

As for MSPaint being discontinued. It will still be quite possible to put MSPaint onto a flashdrive and then use it from there. It's what I did with the XP version of MSPaint, because I didn't like the changes made to it in Windows 7. It's a little difficult to find in your system folder, but it's a perfectly viable solution. And it's not like Microsoft was going to improve MSPaint or anything.

Now what on earth is Paint 3D?

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

QuoteNow what on earth is Paint 3D?

I bet it's regular MS Paint, but with a stereoscopic mode, and future versions of windows will come with:

Because MS knows how important it is to stay cutting edge

;)

Danvzare

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Tue 25/07/2017 14:55:59
I bet it's regular MS Paint, but with a stereoscopic mode
I bet it's just regular MS Paint with a new name, but the exact same logo and function. Like Microsoft Edge.

CaesarCub

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 26/07/2017 12:11:22
Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Tue 25/07/2017 14:55:59
I bet it's regular MS Paint, but with a stereoscopic mode
I bet it's just regular MS Paint with a new name, but the exact same logo and function. Like Microsoft Edge.

It does this weird thing where you can rotate the 2d canvas and shove 3d stuff to it. I have no idea who the intended user is.

Mandle

Quote from: CaesarCub on Thu 27/07/2017 11:47:00
I have no idea who the intended user is.

Someone trying to solve M-theory?

AnasAbdin

Gilbert

I just don't understand. Why you people care this so much and mourn about the loss, and not did this much earlier.

M$ Pain was extremely simple and primitive but this was where its strengths lie. With limited features and extremely quick access to tools it was excellent and fast in drawing simple stuff, or for drawing the rough outlines for pixel art.

However, after I upgraded to Win7, I found M$Pain updated as well(possibly done since VISTA, but VISTA is rubbish that I never even touched), adding loads of features making it unrecognisable(I think it's a complete rewrite), AWESOME features such as anti-aliased lines and ... em... I don't know as I was disgusted by it and never tried it a second time anymore. That is, it has already lost its simplicity and accessibility, making everything too complex to achieve.

If I need to use more serious features, I'd rather install a "proper" graphics programme such as GIMP or Krita, rather than a pre-installed, half-usable and complicated programme.

There isn't any reason to keep M$Pain anymore. Whether Pain 3-D is just a name change or a completely different successor doesn't really matter.

To restore the original M$Pain experience, just search for "Paint XP" and every problem is solved. I think you may still run the original executable from XP if it's still lying around.

Danvzare

Quote from: Gilbert on Fri 04/08/2017 17:43:08
However, after I upgraded to Win7, I found M$Pain updated as well(possibly done since VISTA, but VISTA is rubbish that I never even touched)
It was changed in Windows 7. Vista just had a slightly more graphical version of the good old version of MS Paint. I'd actually recommend it over the XP version.
That being said, I don't blame you for having never touched the rubbish that is Vista.

Quote from: Gilbert on Fri 04/08/2017 17:43:08
To restore the original M$Pain experience, just search for "Paint XP" and every problem is solved. I think you may still run the original executable from XP if it's still lying around.
Hey, that's what I do. :-D

Gord10

I have been using Paint XP since I stopped Windows XP. It has all the simplicity that our original Paint offered, and it works on modern Windows versions.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Lindustad

RIP MSPaint 1949-2017. :(

Where will I get to enjoy those crazy MSPaint skills that people have?!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk