Does this look too cluttered with text? (mixing LEC-Gui and Sierra style boxes)

Started by WatchDaToast, Wed 26/07/2017 13:41:49

Previous topic - Next topic

WatchDaToast

So, I am working an a game, which will be similiar to early Sierra games. :D
However, I can`t really decide on one text and GUI style, since I like both the Sierra and the lucasarts ways.
I love the interactivity of LucasArts` verb-gui and the storybook-ish feel of sierras text windows.
So, I thought about doing the hybrid seen above.

So one thing I am slightly worried about is the overuse of text itself. The player`s view is already kinda obstructed by the black GUI, and when interacting with the environment, the view gets even smaller because of another box of text appearing in front of the screen.
Could this be a bit tiring for the player during a longer playtime? :P

CaptainD

Well.. you could argue that the player should be reading the text rather than still trying to interact with the screen.  But... if I could offer a suggestion, if you're unhappy with this, why not have the description given by an invisible narrator, for which the text will be less intrusive and will disappear of its own accord after a while?  (Of course assuming you use a character, you will have to remember to always move the narrator character to a new room along with the player character each time.)

CaesarCub

I don't mind the text box, I would move it to the top of the screen, or... if the dialogue blocks the game, just cover the whole verb UI and place the text there?
That way you reuse that space that is not showing the really nice art, and that can't be clicked during the conversation.

CaptainD

Or you could be REALLY evil and have the text box cover the verb list / inventory while you read it!  MAKE THEM READ.  (But, it's a 55% serious suggestion, as it wouldn't obscure any of location art.) 

CaesarCub

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 26/07/2017 15:00:06
Or you could be REALLY evil and have the text box cover the verb list / inventory while you read it!  MAKE THEM READ.  (But, it's a 55% serious suggestion, as it wouldn't obscure any of location art.)

How is this evil? If the dialogue is blocking, it makes the most sense to put the text here, because it's where there is no art.
Then again, having non-blocking dialogue with a dialogue box, now that sounds evil XD

WatchDaToast

Thanks for your ideas!^^
I am still not 100% sure what to do...

@CaptainD
So you mean I could make a borderless speech box with the LucasArts-font? :D
Actually a cool idea, however it may feel like there is an invisible Person on the screen, speaking.

@CaesarCub
Moving the text to the bottom might be a solution. On the other hand, I feel it`s a little easier for the players eyes to look in the middle of the screen and not having to look down to read.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I also agree the text box dose not look bad they way you have it..  Perhaps make the background color a little transparent like they did with this:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/x7X4PFb.png[/imgzoom]

Hobo

Wouldn't really bother me the way it is now. If anything, I would move the text box more towards the top as CaesarCub suggested. Or experiment with different colors (for both the font and the box) and transparency to create more distincion between the two areas. Borderless speech with a slightly bigger font could also look neat.

Danvzare

I think everything that could be said, has already been said. So I'll just echo what others have said, with my own opinions sprinkled in.
The two possibilities I see here, are either move it up a little bit and make the background slightly transparent. Or go with CaesarCub's idea of making it replace the UI.

Both are great ideas, and I'd suggest making a mockup of both, and seeing which one you prefer and/or feel more comfortable in implementing.

Khris

You could try setting "When player interface is disabled, GUIs should" to "Be hidden"; that way the blocking Display() commands will cause the GUI to disappear.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk