MAGS August "The Bible" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/08/2017 00:26:33

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS August?

Noah's Quest by Slasher
1 (8.3%)
The Last Supper, A Whodunnit by Mandle
2 (16.7%)
10 Ways From Sunday by HanaIndiana
9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Fri 15/09/2017 03:34:20

Stupot

The voting is over and the winner is.....

Well done Hana. You'll be contacted soon about coming up with a theme for October's MAGS.

Noah's Quest by Slasher

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please vote using the poll above.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: September 14th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: The Bible
This month's guidelines were set by xBranex and Tycho

Make a game where:
The story relates in some way to the bible parables or characters.

Whether you want to make a game where Jesus needs to teach the aliens that have just invaded the earth or you want to make a sci fi story that flips the parable of the prodigal son or you want to keep to the book and make a point and click of Moses adventure is all up to you.

Theme inspired by Dostoyevsky's The Great Inquisitor, The Idiot, classical music, and the movies and pictures shown above.

I've always been intrigued and I've loved art that's bible inspired. It's probably the most used source in art ever and I feel that there is shortage of pnc games that's using it
too. Let's change that!

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Nixxon

horusr

Well, now that is hard topic for me as non bible reader. I mean, i raised with quran and only read a little of the bible.

But this is not a religious theme, it seems. It is interesting. If you did this with quran probably it cant be that open topic. I mean you cant show mohamed and also you cant make anything funny, if you do probably I wouldnt be able to access this website anymore(they will block it in turkey(even wikipedia is blocked in turkey)).

I mean, i wish there is nobody sensitive about bible so people can do what they want.

Gurok

Quote from: horusr on Tue 01/08/2017 06:36:20
Well, now that is hard topic for me as non bible reader. I mean, i raised with quran and only read a little of the bible.

But this is not a religious theme, it seems. It is interesting. If you did this with quran probably it cant be that open topic. I mean you cant show mohamed and also you cant make anything funny, if you do probably I wouldnt be able to access this website anymore(they will block it in turkey(even wikipedia is blocked in turkey)).

I mean, i wish there is nobody sensitive about bible so people can do what they want.

This came up on IRC as well. For a Quran reader, I suggested referencing characters/stories that appear in both. e.g. Suleiman, Ishmael, Dawud, Abraham & Sarai, Lot. Also, I'm not the topic creator, but how much you incorporate the Bible seems really open-ended to me.

Regarding sensitivity around the Bible, I don't think it's anywhere near that of the Quran. There is open satire of the Bible in popular culture (Life of Brian). You should be fine with anything that can be taken lightheartedly.

Anyway, I think this topic is really interesting and I look forward to seeing what people do with it!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Slasher

As what Gurok mentioned:
QuoteRegarding sensitivity around the Bible, I don't think it's anywhere near that of the Quran. There is open satire of the Bible in popular culture (Life of Brian). You should be fine with anything that can be taken lightheartedly.

Blasphemy can be a sin in any religion..

Take 'Life of Brian'... It was very funny to most western viewers but did result in controversy, yet was still released.

These days the world has changed and most people now see this type of 'biblical deviance' acceptable if it is produced as a lighthearted jest that should not to be taken seriously. To some people though it is still a cardinal sin...

Anything that goes against any bible scriptures/stories will lose a minority of people... though these days it tends to be a very small minority.

Regarding games: I think that most people who play games are more prong in accepting any biblical references as pure fantasy and will play the game just for the fun of it, maybe intrigued by it...

Simple label, something like: 'A comic view of the bible' should suffice to cover the games contents and to allow the player to decide if they want to play the game of not...

All in all the bible is a fascinating read and study and there are many many aspects that can be chosen as a subject.

I myself am a Christian and I do have a very good sense of humor....I love parodies in any form.

Take it or leave it I think this months MAG is so rich with content and interpretation that I may just enter (nod)

'Jesus wants me for a sunbeam...' (laugh)

jahnocli

Quote from: horusr on Tue 01/08/2017 06:36:20

No need to have a thin skin on behalf of the Christian religion - it's robust enough! If dealing with the Bible directly makes you uncomfortable, think about a parable like "The Good Samaritan" or something similar...
Life is a puzzle, a quest and an adventure

horusr

Dealing with bible doesnt make me uncomfortable at all. Just, I don't know it well and my family took my bible from me with force :D so couŠŸdnt read it that time.

And as an atheist, i think i cant make an serious story out of bible because I dont think about it serious enough as christians(and they teach how wrong and absurd bible is when you get religion education as a kid), just some parodies and thinking about disturbed christians makes me uncomfprtable. But it is good to see how open christians are!

Stupot

There's so much source material in the good book that there should be no excuses :P

I mean, if it were me, and I wasn't sure how to adapt something specific from the bible into a game, then I would have a Dan Brownish story about a guy who happens to find an ancient copy of the book with a previously unseen page that proves it is all fiction (or fact) and has lots of people trying to steal it from him. Or a Hannibalesque mystery about a serial killer whose murders are all themed around a particular bible passage.

The possibilities are endless, as proven by the fact that most modern western fiction is choc full of biblical references anyway, without having MAGS guidelines.

Slasher

Come on Stu.... give us a game as I think your idea is ab fab (laugh)

Stupot

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 01/08/2017 10:29:20
Come on Stu.... give us a game as I think your idea is ab fab (laugh)
I'd love to, man but no time :-(

CaptainD

So many possibilities with this theme that you could re-run it every month for 10 years and still have plenty of options.

I don't really know if I'm going to have time this month but we'll see...

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Good luck to all. I have to give credit to Brane on the religion idea even though I don't partake in religion myself, its bound to generate some interesting entries... I hope you all keep it lighthearted though ;D
I was struggling with a "Who Done It" theme, but quickly realized the mechanics of which might be a bit too ambitious to produce in just one month.

Also I am a tad confused about the voting. I know other contests the host dose not vote, but I noticed stu and the previous theme setters vote, so can I assume Brane and myself can vote for this contest when all the entries are in?

EDIT: PLEASE PLEASE Someone do Noah's Arc! :D

xBRANEx

I'm so glad that there are so many ideas already. I also love it that people from all sorts of backgrounds and beliefs are finding the topic interesting. I hope for a great MAGS

And I'm voting no matter what, Tycho! I don't see why not

Cassiebsg

TMA, of course you can vote. Everyone in this forum is entitled to vote. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Click'd

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Tue 01/08/2017 12:07:11
EDIT: PLEASE PLEASE Someone do Noah's Arc! :D
There's already a first person shooter, so why not.
Spoiler
I won't do it, though.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

"Super" Noah..    now we`re talking ;)

(Its got some bad language, so don't watch it if your sensitive)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6omFJhKr6o

Rocchinator

Man Interesting topic sadly I'm not very good in scripting or coding :( . But I can help with story or graphics :smiley:

DBoyWheeler

Wish I could participate, but I've recently started training for my new job.

Still, I could see a possible game featuring one of the Old Testament prophets (like, say, Elijah).

dactylopus

This theme gives me the heebie jeebies.

horusr

Finally found a story to tell!
You will play as satan and try to trick eve!

Slasher

Someone mentioned Noah...

Thought that I would enter this months MAG with the Biblical Noah...

In production shot and video:

horusr

Is that replacement BG?
My progress so far :D

Slasher

My game (Noah's Quest) is progressing very well..

Animated Portrait style dialogs.

Customized gui Dialog Option screens are now built and working...

In production

This game will have multiple paths...that are adjusted to your choices.

Can you find, tame and take back to the Ark a Lion, a Goat, a Horse and a Pig before the great flood starts?

Overall progress: 12%

horusr

Wow you are as fast as they say! Cool looking game it is.
I have 2 bg and room objects. I am planing making 4 rooms so I think it will be ok!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Nice pogress guys on your projects!

Snarky.. but what of the river otters, red pandas, northern hairy nose wombats, tonkin snub nosed monkeys and møøse?

Riaise

I like the sound of your game, Slasher! Especially the multiple paths, that'll be a huge achievement for a MAGS game! :)

horusr, that looks really good! I'm interested to see more! ;-D

HanaIndiana

Oh man, I can't pass this up. IF I can think of a good idea, that is. Great theme!

Click'd

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Sat 05/08/2017 20:35:04
Oh man, I can't pass this up. IF I can think of a good idea, that is. Great theme!
Show what one of the shepherds did before he saw the angel telling him of Jesus' birth. Slice of life, or something.

gameboy

Spent some evenings coming up with a story and creating some art. Looks like I've got something in works this time.

xBRANEx

Looks really really nice! Can't wait to play

Nixxon

Sweet graphics gameboy, very nice

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

getting exiting now! ..  keep it up folks.. would love to see a few more entries too!

horusr

This is day 5 and 64x64 made me need some more room. Elevator done, i think. Edit: Wait, why he is smiling, CEO gave his office to Adam, so why is he happy?!

Slasher

Glad to see other entries developing (nod)

Noah's Quest (Dome Mountain):

Will Noah find the right animal, and if so can he get it back onto the Ark before the great flood begins:
(snow is animated)

Progress: 50%

horusr

Done some progress! And again, I came after slasher :D Well, ok, my progress is around %10-20, no scripting and writing done :D
I made an elevator and tried to use mirror module, but couldnt be able to use its functions even I imported module, so I throwed trash my 2 hours of work and worked 2 hours on this to make a cutscene. Here you can see Gabriel leaving elevator right after tellin Stan that someone else promoted on his office.

Hey, guess what! I painted Adam, the black God's son, as blond!
Spoiler
[close]

HanaIndiana

So much art already! I'm liking your styles! I have an idea. Period. That counts right? :P
No, I have more than that. I mapped out a story, that I'm sure is way too ambitious, so it's time to start editing.
This theme is in my wheelhouse, so I've got some passion pushing me to finish. I'll post some art, once I figure out what the heck this is going to look like.

Slasher

Hope you compete in this MAG HanaIndiana (nod)

Noah's Quest: progress 90%.....

Looking good to finish on time.

"And so it rained for 40 days and 40 nights".... (laugh)

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I am really loving all this progress Slasher, can't wait to give her a play through!

Delighted to see a really nice batch of entries so far, 8-0  keep up the work!

HanaIndiana

I got a sign!

And a protagonist!*

*images are subject to change

xBRANEx

It's getting exciting! Looking forward to the games!

HanaIndiana, the protagonist sure gives out a nihilist vibe!

Slasher

At least you have made a start HanaIndiana (nod)

I'm almost done with my game and I hope some of you others are well into your game...

Still plenty of time (nod)

"God did warneth Noah:'Buildeth an Ark made from gopher wood and fill it with two of every animal for it will rain for forty days and forty nights and the world will be cleansed and then reborn...'"

Mandle

This month's lineup is starting to look real exciting!

Slasher

You not in the running then, Mandle?

One less to worry about (laugh)

My game has been completed and I am now testing it....

Additional offers welcome ;)

Slasher

Noah's Quest - released - (V2.00)
"God did sayeth:'Noah, buildeth an Ark made of gopher wood and fill it with two of every animal, for it will rain for forty days and forty nights and the world will be cleansed and then reborn...'"

Help Noah find and take back the animals he needs to the Ark before the heavens open up and the mighty floods begin and the world ends...
Customised Dialog option screens... Animated Snow and Rain (Not add-ons).... Buy and sell items at a market but watch your spending.... Interact, Look and Talk with Inventory Items.... Progress with items you buy, sell or obtain....
Specs: 320 x 200.... 32-Bit.... Direct3D9.... NOT a demo....
Download here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2187/

Mandle

Shadow1000

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 13/08/2017 10:14:12
                         Noah's Quest (V1.00)
"God did sayeth:'Noah, buildeth an Ark made of gopher wood and fill it with two of every animal, for it will rain for forty days and forty nights and the world will be cleansed and then reborn...'"

I played this game and really enjoyed it. Most of Slasher's games feature humour, and I think this one may be his first that features drama. This is a traditional "complete the list" game with the additional angle of money management. Great useage of the contest theme.

Well done!

Mandle

Announcing a work in progress:

THE LAST SUPPER, A WHODUNNIT

[imgzoom]https://preview.ibb.co/j9SVpv/Screenie01.png[/imgzoom]

Just started working on this tonight... Hopefully I get it done...

I'm interested lately in trying to code A.I. NPCS that retain their memories so this could be a first basic step...

Slasher

"Who nicked the sausage?" (laugh)

QuoteI'm interested lately in trying to code A.I. NPCS that retain their memories so this could be a first basic step...
Hope you get it sorted out on time.. (nod)

Nice one Mandle......

Riaise

Good idea, Mandle! I'm looking forward to it! :-D

Mandle

Finished fiddly bits with the mouseover regions on each character... Damn... Da Vinci really overlapped these guys to the extreme, with little thought to how game devs in the future would deal with it...

Also... after tracing around each character to define their mouseover region in detail I see where he cheated, especially under the table... Didn't think anyone would look down there too closely, eh, Mr. Vinci?

Oh, and thanks also Leonardo for making Thomas just a head and a hand sticking out from behind James... That is going to piss off the players mousing over his character no end... I had to resist the temptation to edit his raised index finger to the middle one...

I also managed to put in place the code to determine each character's schedule on the day leading up to The Last Supper, select the betrayer and the disciple he has chosen to frame, and place the betrayer and the Roman soldiers that pay him off with silver in the same place at the same time... (Yeah, the betrayer is random each time you play... You can't just choose Judas for the intsa-win...)

On the to do list:

*Make the betrayer lie about where he was at the time of the betrayal.
*Make the betrayer frame someone else for the crime.
*Place at least one witness at the scene of the betrayal.
*Invent at least 10 motivations for the crime, fitting with the biblical source. e.g: Disciple was chastised by Christ for preaching Christ's words under the pretense that they were his own...
*Code a working gossip system amongst the disciples so they share what they know with each other now and then, accurate or not...
*Many, many more things!!!

And lastly, I am thankful for one last thing: I don't have to worry about coding in gender-based pronouns for any text... Despite what Dan Brown might have to say about that...

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

congrats on your release slasher! .. downloading now, will play all the entries when they are in!
Its my fave biblical story, so I am really looking forward to checking yours out.

Mandle, great to hear your in! ... and I love how your also making it a whodunnit too! .. oh man i love a good whodunnit .. this sounds quite ambitious game mechanic wise, i mean for a mags certainly. Cant wait to see what you do with it.

horusr

Wow everyone is going great!
Why did i loose my motivation? I couldnt get it in time for lowrezjam.
All rooms are done and almost all animations done but i just cant do coding the story part.

Anybody wanna help?

Slasher

Noah's Quest (V2.00)

Updates:

Implemented Inventory Window scrolls to top row when bottom row empty.
Added interactions to farmer Abraham.

Download here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2187/

horusr: With 3 games on the boil I can't at this time....another time perhaps (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 17/08/2017 07:00:32
horusr: With 3 games on the boil I can't at this time....another time perhaps (nod)

I know the problem isn't lack of limbs. Is it that you only have three computers?

HanaIndiana

I LOVE whodunits! That's awesome Mandle.
I figured I'd post this here too... just in case. I'm looking for volunteers willing to record dialog for my MAGS.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55150.0

Thanks!

Mandle

I did a little work tonight on the system for setting up the personal relationships between the disciples.

Here is a screenie showing my behind-the-scenes testing of the system that will not appear in the actual game:

This means that Bartholomew and Matthew (disciples 1 and 10 in order from left to right) don't see eye to eye because of a basic clashing of their personalities, and thus have low friendship ratings.

I currently have 6 different reasons for them to be special foes or special friends, but this may increase depending on what I end up doing with it.

If these reasons actually affect gameplay then about 6 is workable. If they are just for flavour then 6 will get repetitive.

I'll just have to see where this takes me down the line...

Oh, and yeah, this isn't a spoiler... Each time you play all of this stuff is randomized...

Cassiebsg

Mandle, may I suggest you move the text above the main image, on all that empty roof space? ;) Or bellow on that "blackness"... (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 18/08/2017 19:47:42
Mandle, may I suggest you move the text above the main image, on all that empty roof space? ;) Or bellow on that "blackness"... (laugh)

Cassie, I mentioned above: That's just text for the purpose of checking the game is working properly behind the scenes. It won't be appearing in the game itself.

Slasher

QuoteI did a little work tonight on the system for setting up the personal relationships between the disciples.
Mandle: I really hope you can pull it off (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 19/08/2017 11:20:22
QuoteI did a little work tonight on the system for setting up the personal relationships between the disciples.
Mandle: I really hope you can pull it off (nod)

Cheers mate... I really hope so too...

My vision for the A.I. is pretty ambitious so we will see... I'm only working on it in fits and starts because I'm building up the system in my head before I code so as to not just wing it and end up with a mess that even I don't understand the workings of, which has happened to me in the past many times...

Whether this becomes an actual entry or not is still very much up in the air... I shall try, but I'm not going to rush the process or kill myself to have to meet the deadline...

Here's hoping though...

EDITED UPDATE: I think I have the bit properly coded tonight that allows a better-than-average chance that the guilty party will try to frame someone they dislike (if they have such a grude), rather than a random target...

This should help the player narrow down their search for the guilty one in some scenarios...

Still no idea how hard it will be to figure out who the villain is though... or how stupidly easy...

HanaIndiana

Balance is tough, but you can do it Mandle! :)

I'm plugging along.. slowly but surely. Drawing takes me foorrreeevveerrr. Blah.

Mandle

Ohhhhhh... I want to play some Stairway To Heaven on that pipe organ!

Looking lovely, mate!

Slasher

Ooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (laugh)

Glad you have made some progress HanaIndiana (nod)
I'm plugging along.. slowly but surely. Drawing takes me foorrreeevveerrr. Blah.
Try using two hands at the same time (laugh)

This place is starting to hot up now 8-)

Mandle: You can do it.... persevere and don't take any prisoners ;)

Come on guys: Get some in (laugh)

If an old fogey can do something so can you (laugh)

Gurok

Hana, it may take you a long time, but I think that screenshot looks really good!

jahnocli

I've got an idea for a game which is rapidly becoming difficult to do within the next few days!

When the cursor passes over each image I'd like a speech bubble to come out of their mouths, and when a box is clicked on I'd like a cross to appear in the box, a short message to appear and then be redirected to another room. Like this:

I'm struggling with the code for this: can anyone help?

(PS - Character images are copyright Bryan Ballinger at breadwig.com. I've written to him and he's given me permission to use them in a non-commercial game.)

DBoyWheeler

(to Jahnocli)
Must... resist... urge... to... make... Monty Python... reference...

jahnocli

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Sun 20/08/2017 12:53:41
(to Jahnocli)
Must... resist... urge... to... make... Monty Python... reference...
Don't resist! Go for it!!

DBoyWheeler

(to Jahnocli)

Okay...

We are the Knights Who Say... Ni!!!

Mandle

A week to go and I haven't had the time to do anything since my last post...

It's looking grim for my entry, but you never know...

Miracles are in the Bible after all...

EDIT: Posting this made me feel guilty enough to stay up too late and work on the game. I managed to properly code the interface that shows each disciple's alibis for the whole day as you hover over them with the mouse.

This is much better than my original (stupid) design plan to make the player ask each disciple about each time period seperately and have to either remember them (yeah, right, I want the player to feel like Sherlock, not actually have to be him) or write them down somewhere, possibly on the same paper they were writing down their complaints list about how clunky the game was to play...

So... positive progress...

HanaIndiana

Quoteor write them down somewhere, possibly on the same paper they were writing down their complaints list about how clunky the game was to play...

HaHa Mandle!
This is what I imagine...

Mandle

Did a lot of work on the game tonight and all is working fine...

Probably still not going to be able to deliver a 100% finished game, but hopefully something playable at least...

Here's a screenie showing where the Roman soldiers were spotted by the disciple Matthew and when:

Still missing the graphics that show the time of day in the game. But they have been made and installed...
So.... yeah... the Roman soldiers were at the Tavern at mid-morning, and at the Temple at noon, and then back to the Tavern in the early afternoon...

The Tavern is their ancient version of a donut shop perhaps?

xBRANEx

Wow, Mandle, that looks really interesting!

Can't wait to play all the games!

SilverSpook

Lol, awesome concept, Mandle. Should be a great time!

Mandle

Cheers for the good words guys... It really keeps me plugging on...

Tonight I got the coding done for questioning each disciple about who else they saw at each location and at what time:

What you are looking at is that I clicked on James The Younger (2nd from left) and then hovered over Bartholomew (1st from left) and discovered that James claims he saw Bartholomew at the Baths at sunset (furthest right time-zone), which is shown by the "disciple" icon showing up under that time/location (the guy with the halo)...

In this case, he is not lying and they both were actually there, and you could question Bartholomew and find that he claims James at the same time and place...

Yeah, I still haven't implemented the time-zone icons to show clearly what each one is so this whole post is probably very confusing...

I also plan to put a marker above the disciple you are currently questioning about others so you can click on it and go back to normal mode where you mouseover to only see their info... This probably makes this post even more confusing... But it kinda makes sense to me...

Let's just say I made progress and pretend it happened. (laugh)

Slasher

QuoteIn this case, he is not lying and they both were actually there, and you could question Bartholomew and find that he claims James at the same time and place...
Your game reminds me of an old parlour game...

I hope you pull it off well, Mandle (nod)

HanaIndiana

Yeah, the game sounds really interesting Mandle! I'm looking forward to it.
Mine still has a bunch left to do. I'm trying to push to some kind of finish line.

Mandle

As is usual for the final push I've stayed up until 3AM coding stuff which makes the game do probably pretty boring stuff:

Here we can see that we are questioning Judas about his daily schedule leading up to the betrayal of Christ and that, while hovering over Simon on the far right, we found out that Judas had seen Simon in the Market around twilight at the same time the Roman soldiers were there...(the disciple icon under the market label paired with the roman soldier helmet icon tells us they might have met up...)

Did Simon take the 30 pieces of silver and betray Christ to the soldiers in the last rays of sunlight in the market?

Hmmmmm... very suspicious... But not enough yet to close the case...

And not enough yet to release a game...

But tomorrow I'm off from work so the final push is on for real!!!

Slasher

QuoteBut tomorrow I'm off from work so the final push is on for real!!!
I really hope you get to deliver a playable game on time Mandle (nod)

I can't understand anyone releasing a game half baked...

Time is something we could all do with more of....

Good luck mate  ;)

Stupot

Looks really intriguing Mandle.

How is everyone else getting on? Just over 48 hours to go!

HanaIndiana

Just stayed up until midnight last night, putting a lot more in. Mine will be buggy, I guarantee, but I think it will be finished enough to post. Yay! I'm throwing in my voice files tonight, and last minute recordings. I'm hoping I'm allowed to work on it until tomorrow night (California time), so I can post everything after work, and not have to scramble in the morning.

Stupot

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Wed 30/08/2017 16:33:03
I'm hoping I'm allowed to work on it until tomorrow night (California time), so I can post everything after work, and not have to scramble in the morning.
Unfortunately, this time I don't really have the time to administer the contest after tomorrow morning, Japan time. I'm working all weekend and I won't have time in the evenings, so the very latest I can stretch it is 11am Japan time on the first (3am British or 7pm Californian on 31st). Not much of an extension I know but it's that or wait til Tuesday and I'd rather not do that.

Mandle

I've been feeling sick since yesterday and haven't been able to work on my game. I probably will be sleeping early tonight after work as well. :-X

An extension over the weekend would be wonderful actually if possible.

HanaIndiana

If I can have until 7pm on the 31st, I'll take it!

Mandle

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 30/08/2017 23:26:31
I've been feeling sick since yesterday and haven't been able to work on my game. I probably will be sleeping early tonight after work as well. :-X

Actually nevermind... I'm feeling much better today so I almost have the game "finished", at least as a playable beta version with the core mechanics done...

I had to leave out a lot of planned stuff but the game should be playable as a basic puzzle game... And I'm interested to see how hard or easy the game is for players in its basic state before adding more complications... So this MAGS release can be a beta-testing phase...

Releasing soon...

Slasher

QuoteMandle: And I'm interested to see how hard or easy the game is for players in its basic state before adding more complications... So this MAGS release can be a beta-testing phase...
As long as we can get from A to C via B without a dead-end it will be fine and I admire your steps into the unknown (nod)

Hope your sickness has passed yonder (nod)

Giddy up to the final fence HanaIndiana (nod)

See you ALL at the Tape (laugh)

Mandle

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

A game I made during the last two weeks of August for the MAGS contest, the theme of which was "The Bible".

Can you figure out who betrayed Christ to the Roman soldiers for 30 pieces of silver by examining the alibis of the disciples and finding the one that doesn't add up?

The game has a lot of behind-the-scenes A.I. work done in the code (including motives, framing of innocents by the guilty party, gossip between disciples when they met during the day, friend/foe relationships between the disciples, etc.), but which I did not have the time to implement, so for now it's just a simple puzzle like you might encounter as a mini-game in a larger game...

But it works and might be fun until you figure out the system to beat it every time. Shouldn't take you too long.

Click on the "RULES" label in the top-left for instructions. A better tutorial will hopefully be in future versions.

If the gameplay is unclear please post in the completed games thread and I will explain it more fully.

IMPORTANT: THE GAME IS RANDOMLY GENERATED EACH TIME YOU PLAY. THE GUILTY ONE WILL NOT JUST BE JUDAS. IT COULD BE ANY ONE OF THE DISCIPLES.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 30/08/2017 23:26:31
Sorry, man. I didn't catch this. To be honest though I'd rather get it finished today coz the next chance I've got to procress the entries is Tuesday morning. And even then I'm not sure how much time I'd have. Glad you got your entry in in the end. It looks fun.

Anyone else still in? Just over one hour to go.

HanaIndiana

Here's my entry!  Let me apologize in advance for the bugginess. :)
DOWNLOAD HERE

Stupot

Phew. Glad you made it, Hana. I was just about to close it down.

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Noah's Quest by Slasher

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please vote using the poll above.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: September 14th

Mandle

Well, thanks a lot Hana! Your game cut into the nap-time I needed today after staying up until 3:00AM last night to get mine released!

I was only going to play while I ate lunch, but got so engrossed that I had to finish it.

It was awesome!!!

I especially liked...

Spoiler
Slasher as the Devil... It's funny you know, I guess on some level I always suspected.

I was also wondering if we're actually going to do the entire list and, yup, you didn't pull any punches! LOVE IT!!!
[close]

Thanks for the great fun!

Now I break the 11th:

THOU SHALT NOT NAP AT WORK

HanaIndiana

Thanks Mandle! :grin: I'm glad you found it fun.
I stayed up too late too, so I'm not going to touch any games until tomorrow. Okay... I may have peeked a little. Something to look forward to.
I'm curious if you noticed...
Spoiler
There are two options for completing Commandment #6. There were supposed to be three, but I ran out of time. Who did you choose?
[close]

Danvzare

Awesome. I'm going to play all of these first thing tomorrow morning, and then cast my vote as soon as I've completed them. :-D

Mandle

I just put in my vote.

At the end of the day I had to vote for:

Spoiler
10 Ways From Sunday.

SPOILER ALERT:
Spoiler

Noah's Quest was also a really fun game that I had a great time playing, but I couldn't resist the charm of a game that makes you break the 10 Commandments in an adventure game format. This was an inspired idea by HanaIndiana! A kind of anti-quest. And also the end credits sequence was both touching and hilarious! Would you rather be in Heaven alone or in Hell with the one you love most? Nice commentary there on the human condition!
[close]
[close]

Click'd

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 02/09/2017 12:53:48
Spoiler

I couldn't resist the charm of a game that makes you break the 10 Commandments in an adventure game format.
[close]
You might want to look at Four Last Things, which combines
Spoiler
having to commit the seven cardinal sins with an artistic approach similar to your game.
[close]
http://store.steampowered.com/app/503400/Four_Last_Things/

Blondbraid

So I just played through all the games and I've voted.

Noah's Quest
Now, I don't want to come off as rude, but the graphics made my eyes hurt, everything was far too saturated and every sprite was in a different art-style and resolution. :(
But otherwise it's not a bad game, the puzzles for collecting the animals were quite good and the music was very beautiful.

The Last Supper, A Whodunnit
Well, I already knew who did it when I started the game, but it was a fun idea in it's simplicity.

10 Ways From Sunday
It was a fun game, and the voice acting was great, but I did not like the cursor, it had a rather unintuitive shape that made it
needlessly difficult to know where you were clicking, I would have preferred to play with a regular, arrow-shaped cursor.
But otherwise, it 's a charming game and I chose to vote for it.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 02/09/2017 23:53:07
The Last Supper, A Whodunnit
Well, I already knew who did it when I started the game, but it was a fun idea in it's simplicity.

It's random each time you play the game. Do you mean that you just happened to get Judas as the guilty one on the first game?

I have added this to the game description to correct my oversight in this regard:

IMPORTANT: THE GAME IS RANDOMLY GENERATED EACH TIME YOU PLAY. THE GUILTY ONE WILL NOT JUST BE JUDAS. IT COULD BE ANY ONE OF THE DISCIPLES.

HanaIndiana

I finished a couple rounds of The Last Supper, A Whodunnit. I really enjoyed the look of the game, and the idea behind it. I'm impressed with people
who can come up with logic puzzles like this, especially so quickly :) Nice work Mandle! It took me a couple tries, and a couple reads of the rules, but then I got it.
I second the thought that being able to exit questioning mode, via a right-click, would be a nice addition.
I solved my Whodunnit, but it was literally the VERY last questioner, with the VERY last questionee. The whole time I'm thinking.. "I must not be doing something right." (laugh)
(It was the farthest guy on the right. I'm not sure who that is, and I'm too lazy to look it up.)
It would be fun to play the more flushed-out version you had intended.

Mandle

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Sun 03/09/2017 02:16:29
(It was the farthest guy on the right. I'm not sure who that is, and I'm too lazy to look it up.)

Ah, that would be Simon. Yeah, after you spend a few hours tracing the outline of each disciple in Gimp, and then using their names in the code over and over you become a bit of an expert on who's who in the painting. (laugh)

Before making the game I had no idea even that there were two James. And also I must report that Dan Brown is full of it: That's not a woman next to Jesus!

Glad to hear you could win the game: Yeah, because of the random generation, sometimes it's ridiculously easy to win (like when only a few disciples encountered the soldiers over the course of their day) and sometimes it's quite hard (when everyone was running into the soldiers all over the city).

Oh, and in case anyone who has played the game was wondering: Despite the random generation, there is no chance of ever coming up against an unwinnable scenario where nobody saw the betrayer and the soldiers at the same place at the same time. The game makes sure that at least one other disciple was also present to witness betrayer and soldiers together. By random chance there could be more than one witness of course, but there is always at least one.

Cheers for playing and for the feedback! ;-D

EDIT:

I was thinking about all three games just now and thought it interesting that, given the theme of The Bible, only one of the three games made by AGSers could not be considered sacrilegious: "Noah's Quest" could be played by kids at Sunday School I feel. Oh, maybe not: the
Spoiler
hemp seeds
[close]
might raise some eyebrows. But it's not sacrilegious.

"10 Ways From Sunday" is a bit sacrilegious in that you break all the commandments but, at the end of the day, it's the choice of one person, the main character, to do so. It's not a direct corruption of anything in the bible.

Mine is probably the most sacrilegious in that it suggests that any of the disciples could have betrayed Christ, even his beloved John. God help me if any hardcore religious group finds out about my game and calls attention to it in the media...

Or, actually, it could be great publicity! Probably would hit a million downloads! Maybe I should monetize the game ASAP! After all, every one of those Harry Potter books that those religious groups in America burned on those massive bonfires put money into J.K.Rowling's pockets. (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 03/09/2017 01:01:28
It's random each time you play the game. Do you mean that you just happened to get Judas as the guilty one on the first game?
Yes, that's exactly what happened! 8-0

Riaise

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 03/09/2017 01:01:28IMPORTANT: THE GAME IS RANDOMLY GENERATED EACH TIME YOU PLAY. THE GUILTY ONE WILL NOT JUST BE JUDAS. IT COULD BE ANY ONE OF THE DISCIPLES.

Maybe you should make it so that the betrayer is never Judas? Then people wouldn't get the wrong idea and that would make the game even more sacrilegious. Win-win! (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 03/09/2017 11:43:41

Then please play again a few more times if you have the time... The game is not a one-trick-pony and sometimes takes a bit of thought to win... I've played a few round myself that had me stumped for some time...

Quote from: Riaise on Sun 03/09/2017 13:25:32
Maybe you should make it so that the betrayer is never Judas? Then people wouldn't get the wrong idea and that would make the game even more sacrilegious. Win-win! (laugh)

Then I would be going to Hell in an express train instead of just my usual handbasket... But I DO like your thinking!

Shadow1000

My comments:

First, great choice of theme and some great adaptations of different parts of the Bible by the entries.

My thoughts:

Noah's Quest:

Most of Slasher's games feature humour, and I think this one may be his first that features drama. This is a traditional "complete the list" game with the additional angle of money management, which is a great touch. Great useage of the contest theme.

You can count on Mandle to come up with an unexpected and innovative way to create a complete game using AGS outside of the traditional point and click adventure. This game reminded me of Clue (remember Mrs. Peacock in the library?) requiring careful analysis of data to find the flaws in the reports of the other disciples. The interface is flawless visually and the adaptation of the bible story is brilliant. It took a bit of clicking around to understand the rules but that is what one would expect from a game that is so different.

10 Ways From Sunday

Another classic "complete the list" game with well-designed puzzles. Impressive graphics and effects, number of rooms and good story line to pace the game. The game is a bit linear and the puzzles could be a bit more challenging but overall, very complete and fun, and it's clear that a lot of planning and effort went into it especially considering the time constraints for the competition. Voice acting is a great plus.

After considering the three entries, my vote went to
Spoiler
10 Ways From Sunday
[close]
. This game gave me the most overall enjoyment while playing. 

Kudos to all three entries!

SHADOW

Gurok

10 Ways From Sunday
This game was very charming to me. I think the soundtrack and voice work contributed a lot to that, but it also had some very cute graphics in a consistent style. I enjoyed uncovering the new location and the fast-travel system was welcome. The writing was a great combination of a matter-of-fact tone with occasional comedy that didn't seem overdone. I also really liked the pacing. The plot point at commandment #5, I think was perfectly timed.

I was a bit torn over how to feel about the main character. I thought it was kinda tragic that she went that far to return to Timothy. On the other hand, I felt sorry for her victims and how she left the town. Some of the comedic moments were "hahaha" moments followed immediately by pity for her. A really strange ending that left me unsure about whether I did the right thing.

The Last Supper - A Whodunnit
Very impressive work getting Da Vinci to help with the art. I thought the rules here were a bit confusing. "Alibi doesn't hold up" was too vague. I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to find someone who saw soldiers without being seen by others or I was supposed to find a disciple who claimed to see soldiers the others didn't see. I also got a bit stuck deciphering the places/times inititally.

Anyway, I plugged away at the game, and it was actually rather good! I eventually solved it with a TextPad window open and my list of suspects, and place names + times for each person I was questioning. Pretty neat and a great use of the theme.

I didn't mind the questioning interface. I thought the way it was designed made it very clear who you were questioning.

P.S. As well as two Jameses, you could also have two Simons if you wanted.

Noah's Quest
Now this was great. It made me feel like I was playing a Bible epic. This has to be one of the most deeply solemn/melancholy Slasher games I think I've played. I got a good sense, from the outset, of how hard it was for Noah to leave behind his entire world for the ark.

I think the market stalls were a fantastic addition. I never got dead-ended by buying/selling things, but I also wasn't sure if that was an impossibility! As a result, I traded cautiously (mostly to avoid having to save/restore). The sheep was the hardest animal for me to gather. In the end, I bought the required item on a whim, with no idea that it was scented. It all worked out though, and I'm not sure whether it was my dumb luck or Slasher craftily designed it that way! I'd say that's the sign of a well-designed game, at least it was for my playthrough. Well done on a departure from your usual comedy style, Slasher.

And my (drum roll) vote goes to...

Spoiler

This was the most polished game of the lot! Very playable, very entertaining and the voice work was on par with a professional production. Great job!
[close]

Riaise

So, I've finally played all three:

Noah's Quest by Slasher

Lovely idea to have to collect the animals for the ark. As others have said, I was a bit surprised by the sombre mood, but it fitted the game perfectly. The market stalls were also a nice little touch and added just enough to make the game challenging, but not frustrating. Like Gurok, I also managed to buy the correct item without realising it was the one that I needed, so perhaps it could have been made a bit clearer why you should buy that item, but apart from that I thought the whole game was very good. Well done! ;-D

I love this game! The basic principle is very simple, but it is actually quite challenging at times. The first time I played I wasn't quite sure how to go about finding the betrayer, but it soon clicked into place and once I realised the "technique", as it were, it became fairly easy to spot the odd one out while still remaining fun. I like logic puzzles anyway, so this game is right up my street. It also has a lot of potential, with the possibility of disciples framing each other and gossiping, etc. Great work, Mandle!  ;-D

Another great game this month! I liked how you took an idea from the bible and turned it on its head. The voice work also added an extra layer to the game. The puzzles worked nicely, even if some of them could have been a bit more challenging, but it was hugely ambitious to create a game based around ten different elements, so really well done for that! ;-D

Mandle

Cheers for all the feedback, guys and gals...

Quote from: Gurok on Mon 04/09/2017 12:11:30
I eventually solved it with a TextPad window open and my list of suspects, and place names + times for each person I was questioning.

Wow, you would have to win the dedicated player award for doing that!

Not quite sure if it is needed though to solve the game. I think it is possible to solve it every time without having to take any notes at all.

Maybe the point about...

Spoiler
...the betrayer meeting somewhere during the day with the Roman soldiers and betraying Christ's whereabouts to them...
[close]

...wasn't made clear enough.

This means you only need focus on...

Spoiler
...the times and places of day where a disciple reports having seen another disciple and the Roman soldiers together.
[close]

I purposely left the "alibi doesn't hold up" part a bit vague as I felt figuring out how to solve the puzzle was probably the most fun part of the game. Once you've figured out how to solve it it's a pretty mechanical process after that to win every time.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 03/09/2017 11:43:41

Did you find the time to play again since then? Just wondering because your review of the game was based on an oversight of my own in my game description, and random dumb luck. I was curious what you might have thought after knowing the truth about it.

Stupot

Last chance to getchya votes in. Please take a moment to rate and comment on the entries in their respective game pages if you have time. Thanks.

selmiak

I played every game and voted! but I don't have time to write reviews for all game. maybe I voted for the game I already longplayed, but it is secret ;) 8-)

Slasher

Hi

I enjoyed this months games..

Spoiler

Another unique idea by Mandle, who is not afraid to go one step beyond. It just fell short and I'm sure that if Mandle had longer time he would have made improvements and added additional features, but alas time ran out as it so often does.
[close]

Spoiler

Satan speaking: Although this game lacked in a few areas I found a certain charm to it. The game play was good and I like the voices. Graphics were so-so but passable and the puzzles well presented. Overall I enjoyed this game which HanaIndiana managed to complete in the said time. Great theme. (nod).
[close]

Noah's Ark
Spoiler

No comment. Where's me Bic razor (laugh)
[close]

xBRANEx

Hi Stu, is it possible to move the voting deadline for 24 hours? I'll have time tomorrow to play all of the games and cast my vote

Stupot

Quote from: xBRANEx on Thu 14/09/2017 12:41:53
Hi Stu, is it possible to move the voting deadline for 24 hours? I'll have time tomorrow to play all of the games and cast my vote
Hi Brane. There's no way for me to extend the poll, unfortunately, but I hate to suppress anybody's vote so if you want I will add your vote to the official numbers.

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 14/09/2017 10:15:41
Spoiler

Another unique idea by Mandle, who is not afraid to go one step beyond. It just fell short and I'm sure that if Mandle had longer time he would have made improvements and added additional features, but alas time ran out as it so often does.
[close]

Actually, looking back, I'm quite happy with how the game turned out. I think my extra ideas of rumour-mongering, framing of other suspects by the guilty party, etc. would have just overcomplicated the game and perhaps made it impossible to play.

I'm quite happy to leave it as the entertaining, if for however briefly, puzzle-solver that it is.

Cassiebsg

I'll have to skip the voting this time too. Probably won't have the time to play the games before the weekend. :-[

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I am so so so sorry folks, I took my eye off the forum for a few weeks and forgot about a bunch of threads I was meaning to post.
I feel doubly bad I missed the voting as I felt it was my duty to vote on this since we (well xBranex) hosted the theme for this one.

But a huge congrats to everyone who got theirs complete, and a massive congrats to HanaIndiana. I am right this moment downloading all 3 entires and will give a little feed back at some point during next week on them.

I am sorry again for not voting.

Stupot

Sorry it's a bit late.

Well done Hana. You'll be contacted soon about coming up with a theme for October's MAGS.

Congrats again.

@Tycho No need to 'pologize. We all get busy from time to time :-)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 17/09/2017 00:09:58

Congrats again.

Congrats, Hana! I really enjoyed your entry and I'm looking forward to your theme for October!

Mandle

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Sat 16/09/2017 18:54:44
I am right this moment downloading all 3 entires and will give a little feed back at some point during next week on them.

Personally, I look forward to the feedback 1000 times more than the voting, so all is chilly-willy...

Congratz to HanaIndiana! A very well deserved win for a great game I had a heap of fun playing! The credits scene is one of my new favorite game endings: Very funny and strangely touching.

I never got around to finding the extra path but I did watch the video showing it and it was hilarious!

Slasher

Well done, HanaIndiana you made a nice game and put a lot of effort into it so congratulations (nod)

Commiserations to Mandle and I applaud his effort....

We want more.. We want more (laugh)

See you at the next MAG...

Riaise

Congratulations HanaIndiana! That was a really great take on the theme. ;-D Well done to Slasher and Mandle as well, both entries were fun and had a lot of potential. :)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 17/09/2017 09:00:09
Commiserations to Mandle and I applaud his effort....

No commiserations needed my old mate. I never enter these things with the goal of winning.

I do it for the warm feeling I get from releasing a game, and MAGS forces me to release something I would otherwise promise myself I would polish further and get back to working on at some point, but never would.

HanaIndiana

Thanks all, as always MAGS is a blast! I hope to come up with a worthy theme for October. slasher and Mandle, always have great entries and I can't wait for the next ones. And slasher, you do a great Satan. :grin:

Danvzare

Big congratulations HanaIndiana! You deserve it for the great game. :-D

HanaIndiana

And thanks for lending your many voices Danvzare :smiley:
I wish I hadn't run out of time, because your smarmy car salesman was my favorite.

Danvzare

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Mon 18/09/2017 16:54:47
And thanks for lending your many voices Danvzare :smiley:
I wish I hadn't run out of time, because your smarmy car salesman was my favorite.
I wondered where that guy was. Now I know. (laugh)

xBRANEx

Congrats to Hana and thank you all for participating. I'm really sad I didn't get to vote but I sure will leave a comment to all of your games!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk