MAGS August "The Bible" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/08/2017 00:26:33

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS August?

Noah's Quest by Slasher
1 (8.3%)
The Last Supper, A Whodunnit by Mandle
2 (16.7%)
10 Ways From Sunday by HanaIndiana
9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Fri 15/09/2017 03:34:20

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 03/09/2017 01:01:28
It's random each time you play the game. Do you mean that you just happened to get Judas as the guilty one on the first game?
Yes, that's exactly what happened! 8-0

Riaise

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 03/09/2017 01:01:28IMPORTANT: THE GAME IS RANDOMLY GENERATED EACH TIME YOU PLAY. THE GUILTY ONE WILL NOT JUST BE JUDAS. IT COULD BE ANY ONE OF THE DISCIPLES.

Maybe you should make it so that the betrayer is never Judas? Then people wouldn't get the wrong idea and that would make the game even more sacrilegious. Win-win! (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 03/09/2017 11:43:41
It's random each time you play the game. Do you mean that you just happened to get Judas as the guilty one on the first game?

Then please play again a few more times if you have the time... The game is not a one-trick-pony and sometimes takes a bit of thought to win... I've played a few round myself that had me stumped for some time...

Quote from: Riaise on Sun 03/09/2017 13:25:32
Maybe you should make it so that the betrayer is never Judas? Then people wouldn't get the wrong idea and that would make the game even more sacrilegious. Win-win! (laugh)

Then I would be going to Hell in an express train instead of just my usual handbasket... But I DO like your thinking!

Shadow1000

My comments:

First, great choice of theme and some great adaptations of different parts of the Bible by the entries.

My thoughts:

Noah's Quest:

Most of Slasher's games feature humour, and I think this one may be his first that features drama. This is a traditional "complete the list" game with the additional angle of money management, which is a great touch. Great useage of the contest theme.

THE LAST SUPPER, A WHODUNNIT

You can count on Mandle to come up with an unexpected and innovative way to create a complete game using AGS outside of the traditional point and click adventure. This game reminded me of Clue (remember Mrs. Peacock in the library?) requiring careful analysis of data to find the flaws in the reports of the other disciples. The interface is flawless visually and the adaptation of the bible story is brilliant. It took a bit of clicking around to understand the rules but that is what one would expect from a game that is so different.

10 Ways From Sunday

Another classic "complete the list" game with well-designed puzzles. Impressive graphics and effects, number of rooms and good story line to pace the game. The game is a bit linear and the puzzles could be a bit more challenging but overall, very complete and fun, and it's clear that a lot of planning and effort went into it especially considering the time constraints for the competition. Voice acting is a great plus.

After considering the three entries, my vote went to
Spoiler
10 Ways From Sunday
[close]
. This game gave me the most overall enjoyment while playing. 

Kudos to all three entries!

SHADOW

Gurok

10 Ways From Sunday
This game was very charming to me. I think the soundtrack and voice work contributed a lot to that, but it also had some very cute graphics in a consistent style. I enjoyed uncovering the new location and the fast-travel system was welcome. The writing was a great combination of a matter-of-fact tone with occasional comedy that didn't seem overdone. I also really liked the pacing. The plot point at commandment #5, I think was perfectly timed.

I was a bit torn over how to feel about the main character. I thought it was kinda tragic that she went that far to return to Timothy. On the other hand, I felt sorry for her victims and how she left the town. Some of the comedic moments were "hahaha" moments followed immediately by pity for her. A really strange ending that left me unsure about whether I did the right thing.

The Last Supper - A Whodunnit
Very impressive work getting Da Vinci to help with the art. I thought the rules here were a bit confusing. "Alibi doesn't hold up" was too vague. I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to find someone who saw soldiers without being seen by others or I was supposed to find a disciple who claimed to see soldiers the others didn't see. I also got a bit stuck deciphering the places/times inititally.

Anyway, I plugged away at the game, and it was actually rather good! I eventually solved it with a TextPad window open and my list of suspects, and place names + times for each person I was questioning. Pretty neat and a great use of the theme.

I didn't mind the questioning interface. I thought the way it was designed made it very clear who you were questioning.

P.S. As well as two Jameses, you could also have two Simons if you wanted.

Noah's Quest
Now this was great. It made me feel like I was playing a Bible epic. This has to be one of the most deeply solemn/melancholy Slasher games I think I've played. I got a good sense, from the outset, of how hard it was for Noah to leave behind his entire world for the ark.

I think the market stalls were a fantastic addition. I never got dead-ended by buying/selling things, but I also wasn't sure if that was an impossibility! As a result, I traded cautiously (mostly to avoid having to save/restore). The sheep was the hardest animal for me to gather. In the end, I bought the required item on a whim, with no idea that it was scented. It all worked out though, and I'm not sure whether it was my dumb luck or Slasher craftily designed it that way! I'd say that's the sign of a well-designed game, at least it was for my playthrough. Well done on a departure from your usual comedy style, Slasher.

And my (drum roll) vote goes to...

Spoiler

This was the most polished game of the lot! Very playable, very entertaining and the voice work was on par with a professional production. Great job!
[close]
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Riaise

So, I've finally played all three:

Noah's Quest by Slasher

Lovely idea to have to collect the animals for the ark. As others have said, I was a bit surprised by the sombre mood, but it fitted the game perfectly. The market stalls were also a nice little touch and added just enough to make the game challenging, but not frustrating. Like Gurok, I also managed to buy the correct item without realising it was the one that I needed, so perhaps it could have been made a bit clearer why you should buy that item, but apart from that I thought the whole game was very good. Well done! ;-D

I love this game! The basic principle is very simple, but it is actually quite challenging at times. The first time I played I wasn't quite sure how to go about finding the betrayer, but it soon clicked into place and once I realised the "technique", as it were, it became fairly easy to spot the odd one out while still remaining fun. I like logic puzzles anyway, so this game is right up my street. It also has a lot of potential, with the possibility of disciples framing each other and gossiping, etc. Great work, Mandle!  ;-D

Another great game this month! I liked how you took an idea from the bible and turned it on its head. The voice work also added an extra layer to the game. The puzzles worked nicely, even if some of them could have been a bit more challenging, but it was hugely ambitious to create a game based around ten different elements, so really well done for that! ;-D

Mandle

Cheers for all the feedback, guys and gals...

Quote from: Gurok on Mon 04/09/2017 12:11:30
I eventually solved it with a TextPad window open and my list of suspects, and place names + times for each person I was questioning.

Wow, you would have to win the dedicated player award for doing that!

Not quite sure if it is needed though to solve the game. I think it is possible to solve it every time without having to take any notes at all.

Maybe the point about...

Spoiler
...the betrayer meeting somewhere during the day with the Roman soldiers and betraying Christ's whereabouts to them...
[close]

...wasn't made clear enough.

This means you only need focus on...

Spoiler
...the times and places of day where a disciple reports having seen another disciple and the Roman soldiers together.
[close]

I purposely left the "alibi doesn't hold up" part a bit vague as I felt figuring out how to solve the puzzle was probably the most fun part of the game. Once you've figured out how to solve it it's a pretty mechanical process after that to win every time.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 03/09/2017 11:43:41

Did you find the time to play again since then? Just wondering because your review of the game was based on an oversight of my own in my game description, and random dumb luck. I was curious what you might have thought after knowing the truth about it.

Stupot

Last chance to getchya votes in. Please take a moment to rate and comment on the entries in their respective game pages if you have time. Thanks.

selmiak

I played every game and voted! but I don't have time to write reviews for all game. maybe I voted for the game I already longplayed, but it is secret ;) 8-)

Slasher

Hi

I enjoyed this months games..

Spoiler

Another unique idea by Mandle, who is not afraid to go one step beyond. It just fell short and I'm sure that if Mandle had longer time he would have made improvements and added additional features, but alas time ran out as it so often does.
[close]

Spoiler

Satan speaking: Although this game lacked in a few areas I found a certain charm to it. The game play was good and I like the voices. Graphics were so-so but passable and the puzzles well presented. Overall I enjoyed this game which HanaIndiana managed to complete in the said time. Great theme. (nod).
[close]

Noah's Ark
Spoiler

No comment. Where's me Bic razor (laugh)
[close]

xBRANEx

Hi Stu, is it possible to move the voting deadline for 24 hours? I'll have time tomorrow to play all of the games and cast my vote

Stupot

Quote from: xBRANEx on Thu 14/09/2017 12:41:53
Hi Stu, is it possible to move the voting deadline for 24 hours? I'll have time tomorrow to play all of the games and cast my vote
Hi Brane. There's no way for me to extend the poll, unfortunately, but I hate to suppress anybody's vote so if you want I will add your vote to the official numbers.

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 14/09/2017 10:15:41
Spoiler

Another unique idea by Mandle, who is not afraid to go one step beyond. It just fell short and I'm sure that if Mandle had longer time he would have made improvements and added additional features, but alas time ran out as it so often does.
[close]

Actually, looking back, I'm quite happy with how the game turned out. I think my extra ideas of rumour-mongering, framing of other suspects by the guilty party, etc. would have just overcomplicated the game and perhaps made it impossible to play.

I'm quite happy to leave it as the entertaining, if for however briefly, puzzle-solver that it is.

Cassiebsg

I'll have to skip the voting this time too. Probably won't have the time to play the games before the weekend. :-[
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I am so so so sorry folks, I took my eye off the forum for a few weeks and forgot about a bunch of threads I was meaning to post.
I feel doubly bad I missed the voting as I felt it was my duty to vote on this since we (well xBranex) hosted the theme for this one.

But a huge congrats to everyone who got theirs complete, and a massive congrats to HanaIndiana. I am right this moment downloading all 3 entires and will give a little feed back at some point during next week on them.

I am sorry again for not voting.

Stupot

Sorry it's a bit late.

The voting is over and the winner is.....
Well done Hana. You'll be contacted soon about coming up with a theme for October's MAGS.

Congrats again.

@Tycho No need to 'pologize. We all get busy from time to time :-)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 17/09/2017 00:09:58

The voting is over and the winner is.....
Well done Hana. You'll be contacted soon about coming up with a theme for October's MAGS.

Congrats again.

Congrats, Hana! I really enjoyed your entry and I'm looking forward to your theme for October!

Mandle

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Sat 16/09/2017 18:54:44
I am right this moment downloading all 3 entires and will give a little feed back at some point during next week on them.

Personally, I look forward to the feedback 1000 times more than the voting, so all is chilly-willy...

Congratz to HanaIndiana! A very well deserved win for a great game I had a heap of fun playing! The credits scene is one of my new favorite game endings: Very funny and strangely touching.

I never got around to finding the extra path but I did watch the video showing it and it was hilarious!

Slasher

Well done, HanaIndiana you made a nice game and put a lot of effort into it so congratulations (nod)

Commiserations to Mandle and I applaud his effort....

We want more.. We want more (laugh)

See you at the next MAG...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk