Sierra Template GUI Elements Contest - Closed!

Started by CaesarCub, Fri 04/08/2017 00:55:54

Previous topic - Next topic

CaesarCub

Hello peeps.

It's time for the GUI Elements contest for the Sierra Template.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/gqYpkAE.png[/imgzoom]

As you can see, this menu could really use some pizzazz and style.

Here is a list of what we need:

• A button:

• Normal Button State.
    • Pressed Button State.
    • Hover Button State (Optional).
  • A custom slider.
  • A border for the GUIs.
  • A border for the Display text.

Here is a visual aide with the walk icon, the current palette, a text window, a button and a slider to help as a reference:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/vonkpve.png[/imgzoom]
Things to take into account:

• You can add a couple more colours to the palette if you need them, but be thoughtful about them working together.
  • The final resolution of the template is 320x200
  • Be creative with the borders of the buttons and the windows, but be mindful of the space they take on a screen that size.
  • Remember that the display text border repeats itself to reach a variable size, so overtly complex borders on that one will not really work.
  • The sliders don't have to be horizontal, they can also be vertical.
  • I might change the icon borders to reflect the style winning here, so there is no need to use them as guides.

The deadline for entries will be on September the 4th.

Winning Entries:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/HKLFECD.png[/imgzoom]

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I might consider this, can gui like this take solid alpha?.. Such as rounded corners on dialog boxes, semi transparent elements..etc

selmiak

the current AGS version should support alpha transparency on GUIs which should lead to some cool borders for the gui elemts ;-D

@CC: the GUI borders need 4 sides and 4 corners when more than just 1px wide and high, please add that to the description...

CaesarCub

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Fri 04/08/2017 11:07:12
I might consider this, can gui like this take solid alpha?.. Such as rounded corners on dialog boxes, semi transparent elements..etc

Just like Selmiak mentioned, AGS can use alpha values on the GUIs, so there should be no problem.

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 06/08/2017 22:58:35
@CC: the GUI borders need 4 sides and 4 corners when more than just 1px wide and high, please add that to the description...

Well, only the text border needs this, any other GUI will require a tailored image for the borders.
I was planning to do the slicing of the border myself, once we have the winner.

selmiak

oh yeah, I always mix these 2 up...

So then we can have all kinds of forms for the settings menu, even a triangle, as long as the creator shows us where all necessary buttons find their place ;-D

Danvzare

Ooh, this is going to be good. I can't wait to see some entries.
Now if only I was creative enough to make nice and unique looking GUI elements so I could join. (laugh)

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

is it possible to extend the time on this? like 2 weeks or something?
I was hoping to see about trying some ideas out of which I have not got around to yet, but I think it also might give others a chance to try get an entry in too?

CaesarCub

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Wed 16/08/2017 22:18:00
is it possible to extend the time on this? like 2 weeks or something?
I was hoping to see about trying some ideas out of which I have not got around to yet, but I think it also might give others a chance to try get an entry in too?

I guess we can do that, specially considering no one has entered it yet.

Gilbert

I think one problem is that this thread does not stand out for people to realise what it is.
Maybe I should sticky this thread? I'm afraid that would make it even less noticeable though.

CaesarCub

Quote from: Gilbert on Thu 17/08/2017 02:40:33
I think one problem is that this thread does not stand out for people to realise what it is.
Maybe I should sticky this thread? I'm afraid that would make it even less noticeable though.

Hopefully the deadline extension will give them more time to notice it and enter the contest.

Danvzare

This contest needs an entry! >:(

So I decided to take matters into my own hands, and put my lack of creativity to the test. And make a GUI that matches the icons.
Here it is:
[imgzoom]https://orig01.deviantart.net/58ab/f/2017/232/0/c/gui_elements_by_danvzare-dbkp3sc.png[/imgzoom]

The only original part in it, is the button used for the scroll bar.
So with that in mind, if anyone wants to remix it, be my guest. :-D

Hobo

cat

Knobs are lovely, but they need to be coded. Sliders work out of the box.

Other than that, I really like the theme, especially the big orange sliders.

Danvzare

Oh my, that's really good Jim. (nod)
And a lot of choice between GUI elements as well.

Now we just need another entry of this quality, so it will be an actual contest.

selmiak

it's sunday, the day before the deadline for this contest that will never come back. Come on, creative people of the AGS, start up your GFX software and pixel some. I'll do that later on today for sure :)

CaesarCub

And it's time to vote!

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/B5TZxS2.png[/imgzoom]

Please vote one for each of the three categories:

Text Window
Button
Slider

The deadline for voting will be the September the 21st.

HanaIndiana

selmiak

Text Window: 3
Button: 6
Slider: 5, but with the slider button from 3  :-D

Hobo

Riaise

selmiak

btw button 7 & button 8 are veeeeeeeeeeeery similar... but I'm the one who posted them in the first place :-D

Danvzare

Text Window: 4
Button: 6
Slider: 5    (Although I also really like 2, mostly because of the slider button)

Rocchinator

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

CeasarCub. I am gutted I forgot about this, some things came up and I had my eye off the forums for a couple of weeks and I just ended up forgetting, I feel really bad because it was me that requested the time extension with the intention to post an entry.
I am truly sorry.

But I'm also really happy Jim produced something that I think is perfect for the context and I really dont think I could have improved on what you have done, so congratulations on entering / winning  etc.   Must be such an honor to have your work featured in the stock software!

Heres my votes on it anyway

TEXT: 4
BUTTON: 6
SLIDER: 7

CaesarCub

And the voting is closed. Thanks everyone for participating.

Here are the winning GUI elements.

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/HKLFECD.png[/imgzoom]

Textbox and Button design by Selmiak.
Slider by Jim Reed.

Hobo

Neat! Looks good enough for me.
What's next for the template?

Danvzare

Nice.
Even though nothing I made got any votes. I'm glad I participated. :-D

There were some really nice entries as well. It was quite a tough choice for all of the votes if you ask me.

What's next?

selmiak

nice! Though I personally think this textwindow version has the worst contrasting colors in the whole pack, but it won :D

CaesarCub

Quote from: Hobo on Fri 22/09/2017 17:04:01
Neat! Looks good enough for me.
What's next for the template?

Honestly I'm not sure, we have made most of the essentials by now.
I updated the template on GitHub and added some screenshots of how it looks like now in this other topic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk