The House without Windows (ENGLISH/GERMAN vailable)

Started by Loslem, Tue 15/08/2017 01:58:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Loslem

Hi guys!

So, for the most I've been creeping the forum for some months now and I finished making my first little game. (There really was next to no need to post something, it's amazing how much answers are provided in old help-threads.)

In "The House without windows" you take control over Ida, a girl who investigates a haunted house.

Screenshot_20170814-124631 by Andreas Wachtendorf, auf Flickr

Screenshot_20170814-124412 by Andreas Wachtendorf, auf Flickr

I choose a rather trashy stile (mostly because I like trashy stuff). I only used 3 colours, the soundtrack is more like a louisiana-americana thing.

Well, as many first games I think it's not perfect, but in the process I learned a lot. I hope it's still fun to play.

The game is set up with the 9-Verb-Template and uses some modules, credited in the credits.

It's available in GERMAN and ENGLISH.

Edit: I forgot to mention: playtime is roughly half an hour up to an hour (If you don't run in any problems :-/)

Update
17.08: fixed some translation mistakes and abug that got you stuck in a dialog

Update
19.08.17: changed the game name, now setting up the game works.

Update:
12.09.17: I have to apply somw fixing to the English Version, so for some days I'll take it down. I'll try to be fast. Thanks to everyone who played the game already and thanks for the nice constructive feedback :)
EDIT: It's up again. Thx for waiting!

GERMAN
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vym0d5keav9fi2d/SchwarzweissrotGERMAN.rar?dl=0

ENGLISH
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvfa0serwa66d13/SchwarzWeissRotENGLISH.rar?dl=0

Shadow1000

I think I hit a scripting glitch:

Spoiler
I picked up the knife and went to the room that loads when you pick up the knife. The words "Pick up knife" are stuck on the screen. Even after the dialogue the words are on the screen and you can't interact with the screen anymore.
[close]

Is there a way past this?

Crimson Wizard

There is a problem with configuring the game, at least with english version, the name of game exe has a Unicode letter in it (àŸ), and it looks like winsetup does not recognize it for that reason and fail to launch setup window. This may be an AGS limitation (it probably stores the game name in ANSI everywhere).

Does this happen to anyone else? This may be also related to system's default locale.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 16/08/2017 23:34:42
There is a problem with configuring the game, at least with english version, the name of game exe has a Unicode letter in it (àŸ), and it looks like winsetup does not recognize it for that reason and fail to launch setup window. This may be an AGS limitation (it probably stores the game name in ANSI everywhere).

Does this happen to anyone else? This may be also related to system's default locale.

I had that too. I just opened the executable and I've been playing, slowly making progress until I hit what might be a glitch.

SHADOW

Loslem

Thanks for reporting, I'll look into the issues this evening!

EDIT: I fixed the game-crashing bug Shadow ran into.

As for the configuring-problem: I think I did the mistake to name the project "schwarzweiàŸrot", when I created the project-file... That's what happens if you are german :(
For now I think we have to live with that, eh? This can't be changed after the file was named, orrr?

Shadow1000

I was able to continue using my saved games and version 1.2

Stupot

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Loslem on Thu 17/08/2017 06:28:51
As for the configuring-problem: I think I did the mistake to name the project "schwarzweiàŸrot", when I created the project-file... That's what happens if you are german :(
For now I think we have to live with that, eh? This can't be changed after the file was named, orrr?

You can rename the project folder, and rebuild the game, this will change its exe name. (This is undocumented "feature" of AGS)

Loslem

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 18/08/2017 11:32:36
Quote from: Loslem on Thu 17/08/2017 06:28:51

You can rename the project folder, and rebuild the game, this will change its exe name. (This is undocumented "feature" of AGS)

Did that and it worked! Thanks for the help!

Matti

There are some strange things going on. In the german version you start with several inventory items, though it seems you're supposed to get them at a later point in the game. EDIT: Ah, I see you got that fixed in the latest upload.

In the english version, there's no intro and you start the game in a totally different room ???

Loslem

Thanks matti, I must have uploaded a wrong version that I compiled while bugfixing...
I'm so sorry, I tend to get dizzy while working on stuff at 10pm after putting my son to bed.
Thanks for reporting, I will fix the latest issues!

EDIT: Fixed the issue with the wrong compiled English Exe. Now you start at the title.

charly

In the English version of the game there are still a few lines shown in German.
Also, the font in the intro ist partly too small to read.

Some of the English text seems to be improper to me, but as I am also native German I could be wrong with that. Found a few typos as well.
I don't know how the ags engine works, but if you have a file with all the text, I could look over it for typos etc, if you want.

sthomannch

Interesting game! Nice puzzles and cool graphics. Unfortunately I got stuck.
Spoiler

I several items like curtain, cotton, knife and cooked the brew. When I touch the rod in the sleeping room, I get transferred into the red room and the dialog starts. This all works quite well, but I have the texts in German and after the dialog exhausts, the cursor remains on "nehme stange" or something and I cannot activate any verb or leave the room. Menu is not accessible, only Ctrl-X to abort the game helps. Downloaded the latest English version today, same problem.
[close]

Restarted from scratch and this time I could finish it. No idea what happened before. Enjoyed the game a lot, thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk