[ RELEASED] Dreams in the Witch House

Started by rongel, Mon 21/08/2017 14:53:38

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

go for 16:9, it is so much smoother when playing in fullscreen on a 16:9 monitor, and a 16:9 monitor is pretty much a standard household item nowadays. keep the graphics pixely and oldschool but adapt bto  modern screen resolution. :)

Matti

I too would say go for it!

After I drew a few backgrounds for a game I'm currently working on I decided to crop 20 pixels in heigth too. It's not that much of a difference, but really worth it I think. It's nice not to have black borders on the sides.

Your game looks really nice btw, keep it up!

mkennedy

Would it be possible to keep the back backgrounds as they are, but give the player the choice of whether they wish to see boxes on the borders or to crop the images? Though this would require having to figure some way to get the engine to crop the images for you you and I don't know how difficult that would be to code.

rongel

Yes, I think that I'm going with the 16:9 aspect. It's more work, but looks more professional in my opinion too. I think it's also easier to desing rooms to 16:9, I've had problems with the room heights, all the action happens in the middle part of the screen, and the top and bottom is usually just dead space.
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

rongel

Happy Halloween from Keziah Mason! Watch out or she'll get you! 8-0

KyriakosCH

This looks Excellent. Well done 8-)

Only issue will be if it is challenging for those of us who belong to the cult and thus have read the story (laugh)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mini_Doom

The graphics look great :shocked: can't wait
Wanna go for some D&D??

Fitz

Man, the game looks incredible! The character design, animation, the backgrounds, it all just oozes style and atmosphere. And those flickering reflections in the last image! :shocked:

Surdy

Very good work. Keep up the good work, man :D

rongel

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 04/11/2017 00:41:37
This looks Excellent. Well done 8-)

Only issue will be if it is challenging for those of us who belong to the cult and thus have read the story (laugh)

Thanks! I hope so, it might give you a slight upper hand, but thats only fair. The RPG-elements and other events require also bit of strategizing.

Quote from: Mini_Doom on Sat 04/11/2017 06:36:08
The graphics look great :shocked: can't wait

Quote from: Fitz on Sun 05/11/2017 07:47:16
Man, the game looks incredible! The character design, animation, the backgrounds, it all just oozes style and atmosphere. And those flickering reflections in the last image! :shocked:

Quote from: Surdy on Mon 06/11/2017 15:57:47
Very good work. Keep up the good work, man :D

Thanks everyone!
Been working a lot with the game recently, but progress is slow with these things. Still I think I've made more progress this autumn, than in the whole last year...

mkennedy

Wonder what would happen if you threw a bucket of water on Keziah Mason? It worked in the Wizard of Oz! :grin: Though I imagine in this game it would only annoy her and cause her to do something nasty to you.

rongel

Sorry it's been a while since the last update! Good news is that I've been busy working with the game and made some progress.

I wanted to show you something bit different this time. This background is still a bit work-in-progress, but I wanted to share it with you before the Christmas holidays. It's one of the dream scenes, a very alien place with a strange geometry and physics.

Actually it's a mini-game with several stages and parallax scrolling, and this is the first part of it. It's been a lot of work figuring this out, and because there is a lot of animation going on, it will probably be the most resource-heavy scene in the whole game (I hope that it runs smoothly with older computers...). Anyway, I hope you like it, and happy holidays! 

Click'd

Let me say
Spoiler
wow
[close]
Spoiler
(laugh)
[close]

Matti

Very stylish. The colors and animations are great!

selmiak

this is getting better and better. Is this an old vinyl record in the top right? ;-D

rongel

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 20/12/2017 23:34:54
Is this an old vinyl record in the top right? ;-D

You're not the first person saying that... But no, it's not, you will see it in the game when you scroll up to the next stage. I can say that it's more cosmic than a vinyl record. :-D

rongel

Another screenshot, this time we are inside the Miskatonic University. Still a bit under construction though!

This is the reading room where you can study for your exams, or study maths and occult (the really powerful occult books are stored in the basement and you need a permission to examine them). You can also study in your own room, but there might be strange disturbances which can break your concentration... At the right edge is the card file, where you can check the location of the books in the library. After you know the book's location, you can go and find it, and borrow it from the librarian. And behind the door is professor Armitage's office. So this is a place you will be spending quite a lot of time.

And when it's a cold day, there's also a nice fire in the fireplace :-D

Click'd

Hey, it's Groucho Marx!

Bavolis

I love everything about this project.

Mandle

Quote from: rongel on Wed 10/01/2018 18:30:44
this is a place you will be spending quite a lot of time.

This can turn me on or off depending on the feel of the place.

In this case I look forward to spending time there so job well done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk