BACKGROUND BLITZ: The Sea - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by lorenzo, Tue 29/08/2017 09:04:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocchinator

lorenzo

So many great entries, all with different styles and interpretations of the theme!

esufmp: nice background, it really evokes the idea of a cheap ferry! It would fit perfectly in an adventure game. I can imagine a puzzle where you have to win the talent contest, and I wouldn't mind exploring the rest of the ship.

CaptainD: well, that was an unexpected sci-fi twist! Those aliens... first they attack our rocks, then the whole planet.

Rocchinator: lovely background, as usual! Those columns give the image a nice mythological vibe, and I like the adventurous feeling.

Kini

Thanks lorenzo :) I love your art style and would love to pick your brains about something, if you don't mind. I'll PM you so as not to steer this thread off-topic.

DBoyWheeler

Very neat scene, Rocchinator.  I might have to have you in some future game projects.

Rocchinator

thanks lorenzo and thanks DBoyWheeler You will ;)

Kini

I'm in the process of completely redoing my entry. Should have the new version up tomorrow.

lorenzo

I like the redone background, esufmp! The greater attention to perspective has given the image more depth, especially in the windows: the ship wall now looks properly thick!

lorenzo

Time to vote!

Entries:

1. DBoyWheeler's castle by the sea!

2. xBRANEx's dock!
[imgzoom]https://image.ibb.co/cKseWv/dock.png[/imgzoom]

3. Blondbraid's cabin!

4. esufmp's talent contest!

5. CaptainD's seaside alien invasion!
[imgzoom]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2m5b_ORsiiw/WbcIoZeFYtI/AAAAAAAAqwE/-8wOS4X9G3QVk5u7fNn_53Sbq7x7aFCdwCLcBGAs/s1600/Seaside.png[/imgzoom]

6. Rocchinator's mysterious structure on the sea!

Voting categories:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clear walkable areas (swimmable areas?), things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: what's the feeling of the place? Does the image convey the wanted atmosphere?

Voting ends on the 24th of September.

Trophies:
And here are the trophies! Since the sea can be cruel, I made some horrifying trophies as well, to reflect its nature.

First place gets this terrifying (?) sea monster life-preserver! Nightmare fuel this thing is.

Second place earns this dangerous (??) lion! What a terrible grin!

Third place nets this scary (???) duck! Just look at its evil eye!

Everyone else gets this creepy dog and my heartfelt thanks for participating in this background blitz!

Now go vote!

CaptainD

Concept: Blondbraid - who sleeps in this cabin?  What's in the jug?  What's in the bucket?  Where are they going and why?  So many questions need answering!
Playability: esufmp - looks like a lot of interesting possibilities in that scene.
Artistic Execution: xBRANEx - love the peaceful atmosphere here and use of colours, just looking at it for a while should calm anyone down nicely.

I'm looking forward to receiving my creepy dog :-D

Kini

Great entries, everyone. Here are my votes.

Concept: Rocchinator
Playability: Blondbraid
Artistic execution: Rocchinator (I had a hard time deciding between this entry and xBRANEx's, which I think would make a beautiful end credits scene)

DBoyWheeler

My votes

Concept: Rocchinator (if this doesn't best describe a sea setting, then tell me what does)
Playability: xBRANEx (so much to interact with, and I can so see myself repairing the boat to row to that island to find out what lies there)
Artistic Execution: Rocchinator (for some reason it has that Greek myth feel--and am I the only one who thinks of the NES game "Battle of Olympus" when I see this?)

Rocchinator

Amazing entries and awesome trophies!

Concept: CaptainD
Playability: xBRANEx
Artistic execution: Blondbraid

selmiak

Concept: Rocchinator
Playability: xBRANEx
Artistic execution: xBRANEx

I want to make sweet love to xBRANEx color palette. Does this mean I'm a nerd...

Danvzare

Concept: CaptainD
Playability: esufmp
Artistic Execution: Blondbraid

xBRANEx

Concept: Rocc - I think this is the weakest bg you used for competitions here. But it's still really nice.
Playability: Blondbraid - Your style is so easy to recognize. I really like the bleak mood of this one.
Artistic Execution: Blondbraid

lorenzo

RESULTS

On 1st place, we have, with the same number of votes... both Blondbraid and Rocchinator!
You both deserve this monstrous life-preserver!

On 2nd place, we have... xBRANEx!
May this lion-shaped life-preserver serve you well!

On 3rd place, we have... both CaptainD and esufmp!
Here's a duck, as a trophy!

(no creepy dog for you this time, Captain!)

And just for DBoyWheeler, a floating dog!

Thanks everybody for participating, it has been a great background blitz!

Now the question is, with two people on first place, who will host the next one?

xBRANEx

DBoyWheeler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk