Unexpected error: Won't start game.

Started by TDBFW1, Thu 31/08/2017 12:25:02

Previous topic - Next topic

TDBFW1

I get this error every time I try to start my game and I don't know why.
Unexpected error: Access to the path 'C:\Users\finnt\OneDrive\Documenten\Own Games\Les Saboteurs\_Debug\Les Saboteurs.exe' is denied.
I've tried accessing the _Debug file but it says I need administrator access.
Please help!

Khris

I'd move the game folder out of OneDrive and try again.

nanoriver

A little background would be nice here :) Which engine are you using? Did the game ever start and if so what did you change before you stopped working?

TDBFW1

I can't move it out of OneDrive because it just tells me I need administrator access.
I'm using the latest version of AGS and it was fine for a month but now has stopped working for no apparent reason. I was working on a GUI and now it's broken...

Scorpiorus

Do you use this Microsoft service https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OneDrive?

Can you at least try copying (not moving) your game project folder somewhere else? (note that you don't need to copy the _Debug folder)

EDIT: Also, make sure your Antivirus software doesn't block it somehow!

TDBFW1

That's a good point. I think my antivirus may have broken the game file when trying to "clean" my PC.
Another point, my game file is greyed out in the debug folder. Is there any way to restore this or fix it?

Scorpiorus

I would suggest copying everything you can to folder "C:\MyAgsGames". (Don't worry about the _Debug folder, you don't need it to rebuild your game!)
Next, run AGS, select the second option (Continue an existing game) and click [Continue >] button.
From there, find your game project at "C:\MyAgsGames" and open it in AGS.
Finally, rebuild your game EXE.

See if it works.

TDBFW1

Thank you so much. It works! Now I haven't lost hours of work. Seriously, thank you. :-D

Scorpiorus

No problem, I'm glad you got it fixed!

But be sure to back up your project regularly -- you don't always known what may happen on the next day :smiley:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk