MAGS September "Past and Future Collide" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/09/2017 01:06:01

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS September

Fred and Barney meet the future by Slasher
5 (38.5%)
The Execution of Anne Boleyn by Riaise
8 (61.5%)
Time Trial by Mandle
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Mon 16/10/2017 00:25:50

Mandle

I just updated the game file after fixing a glaring walkbehind error that was really annoying me.

Now when you...
Spoiler
...put your arm into the hole in the side of the console it actually looks like the arm is going into the hole.
[close]

This was the only thing I changed so if you've already played through the whole demo then it's probably not really urgent to redownload and play again, but it would be kind of nice if you did, because it's a pretty vital moment in the game and now it's probably a lot easier to see and understand what is happening.

Now I'm off to play the other games!

Slasher

You pulled a sly one there Mandle by releasing game at this stage (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 02/10/2017 12:33:32
You pulled a sly one there Mandle by releasing game at this stage (laugh)

Hehe... It was hard to keep the secret myself but I thought it could be an interesting surprise. Pity I couldn't just suddenly release a complete game, which was my plan, but as a great man once said: The tale grew in the telling.

I am devoted to finishing this one though as I think it could be something special, given a more realistic dev timeline for what I hope it will become.

Riaise

I KNEW IT! Mandle never lets us down! I hope you realise we'll all be expecting a surprise Mandle MAGS entry every month from now on. (laugh)

Also, I wanted to mention, I've updated my game to fix a game-breaking bug (thanks Mandle!). So if you've downloaded but haven't played yet, then you might want to re-download, just in case.

Slasher

Hi

Few minor tweaks carried out and a new build has been uploaded....

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Mon 02/10/2017 14:34:46
I hope you realise we'll all be expecting a surprise Mandle MAGS entry every month from now on. (laugh)

Hahaha... the only person I told about my little project was one of my high-school students. I told him "I bet there'll be some comments like: "So we've got 3 entries so far, including Mandle's secret one." for a while."

Thanks for the first! :P

Riaise

You are very welcome. (nod)

Fred and Barney meet the future by Slasher

Spoiler
After last month's more sombre entry it was nice to get back to classic Slasher territory with this game! You're very good at keeping the characters close to the originals, some of the dialogue sounded like it could have come straight out of the cartoon! The puzzles worked well within the story, and the ending was a surprise! Well done!
[close]

Time Trial by Mandle

Spoiler
So, I was thinking that this was a nice idea for a game, with the hunting and searching for water, and that it will be good when the combat has been added etc. Then I went back to the cave and OH WAIT it's clearly not the simple little game I thought it was. (laugh) The whole console sequence was really unexpected and makes the entire game so much more intriguing. It will be interesting to see how the story progresses if you do end up expanding it to a full game. Good job!
[close]

Mandle

Cheers for the comment Riaise!

And yeah, I will be continuing to work on this game. In fact, I am doing so right now.

There is not all that much left to do, because of how much is already done but hidden in the demo, so give me a month or two (says me now, knowing well that fully developed MAGS entries have sometimes taken years until final release)...

We will see...

I hope you enjoyed the
Spoiler

Console sequence... That was a lot of work but I wanted to make sure it appeared in the demo or my game would not meet the criteria of the theme... The voicing, audio work, and editing took quite a few valuable hours on the last day but I feel it was worth it. By that point I was more about getting an actual narrative hook into the demo that implied a deeper story for the full version than providing anything like a playable game.

And from your comments it looks like I might have achieved that goal. So, cheers!
[close]

Mandle

Well, I've played all games and it was a really hard choice to make between the goofy fun of Slasher's entry and the more highbrow entry of Riaise.

But at the end of the day I had to go with:

Spoiler
The goofy fun. My vote goes to Slasher but it was really almost a coin toss. Then, I remembered riding a Triceratops, and that pushed me a bit more in Slasher's favour as this was a childhood dream from a book I read called "The Big Egg", and then I remembered the (intentional probably) joke of mostly unclad Fred and Barney getting into close quarters in the mine cart together and Fred saying something like "Just wiggle back and forth a bit, Barney." to, ahem, get the cart moving, which cracked me up and that pushed me over the line. I'm guessing Riaise's entry will probably win. It's an amazing MAGS game! But this time I must go for the underdino...
[close]

Blondbraid

I've played all the games of this MAGS now.

Fred and Barney meet the future
It's a fun game in slashers usual quality, with some clever puzzles and chuckle-worthy dialogue.

The Execution of Anne Boleyn
I got stuck on a puzzle early on, but otherwise the graphics and story were good, and I liked the ending.

Time Trial
It's a very minimalist game and it ended abruptly, but I liked the survival mechanics and the fact that you played as a dinosaur, plus the voice acting was great fun.

It was a tough choice, but I ended up voting for
Spoiler
[close]

MAGS Host

One week left to vote. It's pretty close so every vote matters.

Cassiebsg

Blondbraid, so... which "Time Trial" did you vote for? The 1st or the second? (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 07/10/2017 17:32:21
Blondbraid, so... which "Time Trial" did you vote for? The 1st or the second? (laugh)
Oh god I didn't even notice the typo! 8-0
I edited the post now, but it was a hard choice between three great games.

Mandle

Blondbraid dangles false hope before my eyes, only to snatch it away! :~(

Spoiler
(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)
[close]

HanaIndiana

Wow, these were all really good.

Fred and Barney meet the future - This game was hilarious, and I really enjoyed the puzzles! Though the colors sometimes made it hard to make out details.

Time Trial - I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing at first, and whether what I was doing was correct. :) And I was a bit confused at, what I thought was the end....
Spoiler
I got to the hole (?) at the end, but couldn't go any further, so I wasn't sure if I missed something or what. I read some comments, and
someone mentioned going all the way back, so then I realized my mistake, and this time went back. I'm not sure I would have realized that, without reading the comments.
The ending was unexpected, very fun, and I'm interested in what happens next.
[close]
The Execution of Anne Boleyn - I thought this was a very well-done MAGS game. The puzzles were fun, without being too hard or easy. I liked the art and sound-effects, and overall look
of the game, controls, etc... And the story was well-thought out and fun.
Spoiler
I particularly enjoyed the final race against the evil robot Henry, with transporting between rooms.
[close]

My pick is:
Spoiler
[close]

Riaise

MAGS Host

The voting is over and the winner of MAGS September is:

The Execution of Anne Boleyn by Riaise.

Well done Riaise. You'll be contacted soon about choosing a theme for November.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

DBoyWheeler

Slasher

Well done Riaise,

Nice game and thanks for your entry and please, make more (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk