Classic Adventure Game Lovers, we need your expertise!

Started by Stapper, Thu 14/09/2017 00:14:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Stapper

Hi all,

We are looking to create some iconic items that players will remember fondly. As reference we are looking to the very best of the classic adventure games to see if they have any iconic items to see what they have in common. Now, we're having some trouble finding the iconic items that makes it instantly clear to which game it refers to. If you happen to be a big fan of one of the games below and an item or object from that game instantly comes to mind, would you be so kind as to leave this in reply?

Examples are the "rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle" for the Monkey Island series, or "hamster in a sweater" for Day of the Tentacle.

The games we have trouble with identifying an iconic item or object:
- Full Throttle
- Grim Fandango (Manny's Scythe maybe, but not that iconic?)
- Space Quest (Maybe broom or plunger?)
- King's Quest VI
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Sam & Max Hit the Road
- Blade Runner
- Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Thanks so much in advance!

Click'd

What do you mean, "create"? Are you going to 3D print merchandising stuff or something?

Gurok

Do you want something specifically from Space Quest I or the series?
If you're looking for the iconic entry in the series, that would probably be Space Quest III. The most thematically similar item I can think of is the orat on a stick you get from Fester on Phleebhut. It's evocative of the game, it has the same feel as the other objects you mentioned, but it isn't the result of an item combination. Not sure if that matters.

For Gabriel Knight, you could maybe do a cat hair moustache. That particular item has been fairly (infamously) prevalent in popular culture thanks to some essays about the puzzles. GK fans would also get it instantly, but it doesn't refer to GK1.

One series you haven't mentioned, Quest for Glory, has an on-going MacGuffin known as the Blackbird. Imitation blackbirds appear in each game (except the first). An imitation blackbird would be a great tribute to the series, but again, it isn't some weird item combination.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Stapper

Thanks Gurok! Some great examples there :smiley: And yes it doesn't have to be an item or combination of items, just something really iconic. It would be nice for future games if we can have a recurring gag like those, it's just a bit of work to design something great that can match the things that stand out from the classic games.

Also the create refers to making something iconic in our game, it can be an item, object, even a background NPC or anything really. Just for in-game.

Grundislav

Full Throttle - Ben's Motorcycle
Grim Fandango - Sproutella gun
Space Quest - Golden Mop
King's Quest VI - Genie Lamp
Fate of Atlantis - Orichalcum bead
Sam and Max Hit the Road - The DeSoto
Blade Runner - Spinner
Gabriel Knight - Schattenjager Talisman

Mandle

How about the fish-shaped fridge magnet or the vortex in the snow-globe for Sam And Max?

Click'd

Quote from: Stapper on Thu 14/09/2017 05:43:17
Also the create refers to making something iconic in our game, it can be an item, object, even a background NPC or anything really. Just for in-game.
Oh, shout outs, references, or easter eggs. Not a fan of these myself.

Stupot

For Sam n Max I'd go for the World's Largest Ball of Twine.

m0ds

I'd go for the entire statue from Fate of Atlantis rather than just a bead, personally... cos they always looked like pearls to me. But this idol is everywhere:

or the necklace, though I seem to recall someone made several of these in the past (possibly Pesty many years ago?)

Either way, the beads come out of the statue and other places and go into the necklace... so maybe these AND a bead, will work as the latest in fidget-spinning technology ;)

Riaise

The Bone Wagon for Grim Fandango? Although that might be difficult to incorporate depending on the style of your game. Otherwise, I'd say put the Sproutella symbol somewhere, like on a poster or something.

Danvzare

For Sam and Max, the squeezie thing in the USE icon.

And while I know the game isn't in your list, I've got to mention the lucky piece of coal from Broken Sword 2.

Stapper

Thanks so much guys! These all are great examples and some instantly rang a bell again for me as well. Such awesome memories!

You have given me a lot to think about. I'm going to research these to find out why they are all so iconic and what they have in common.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk