Fortnightly Writing Contest - ADVENTURE GAME (VOTING OPEN UNTIL OCT 18th)

Started by Mandle, Thu 14/09/2017 11:09:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Awesome...

I've also just updated my own story above.

It is finished. Not quite the ending I had imagined at the start of writing it but stories sometimes write their own endings.

EDIT:

And I just finished reading Ponch's story which was amazing! So many laughs over the inventive bad language and trying to guess who wa... and then it wa... HILARIOUS!!!

Ponch

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 07/10/2017 07:49:44
And I just finished reading Ponch's story which was amazing!
:cheesy: Thanks! As soon as I get home, since the contest is open for a while longer, I'm going to fix a couple of typos. I swear, one day in the future an autocomplete related misunderstanding is going to bring about the end of the world.

Baron

It's Canadian Thanksgiving right now, so I won't be properly sober until Monday.  If you can hold the contest open until then, I can have my story done, I swear! (nod)

Spoiler

Donning your black cloak of haunting evilness, you tip toe with your tire iron over to the upturned hotrod.  The occupants inside are cursing something at you, but their voices are muffled by the traffic that nonchalantly swerves to either side.  Quickly you pop off the hubcap and start cranking on the lug nuts.

Flashing lights draw your attention.  Uh oh, it's the fuzz!  Luckily you already have what you need.  Surreptitiously leaving a hologram of a doughnut with long sexy legs on the bumper to distract the cops, you steal away into the darkness with your prize. 

Fast as lightning you find the jack out of the Baronmobile's trunk and swap the wheels.  The new one is a bit small, but it should do until you get back to your lair.  You're back on the road, baby!  Hopping inside once more you hit the gas, wobbling unevenly off into the night.

Turn to post 33

[close]

Ponch

Quote from: Baron on Sun 08/10/2017 03:25:57
It's Canadian Thanksgiving right now, so I won't be properly sober until Monday.
Canadian Thanksgiving? (wtf) I don't know. It all sounds awfully made up to me. A likely excuse, if you ask me. I'd be careful if I were you, Mandle. (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Ponch on Sun 08/10/2017 22:49:21
Quote from: Baron on Sun 08/10/2017 03:25:57
It's Canadian Thanksgiving right now, so I won't be properly sober until Monday.
Canadian Thanksgiving? (wtf) I don't know. It all sounds awfully made up to me. A likely excuse, if you ask me. I'd be careful if I were you, Mandle. (nod)

I LOOKED IT UP!!! It's true!!!

FROM WIKIPEDIA:
On Canadian Thanksgiving weekend everyone in the entire country wanders the streets saying "Thanks" to any person they happen to pass by. It kinda resembles a very polite zombie movie.

How this is different from any other day in Canada I'm not sure, but they seem to enjoy it.

Extension granted!

Ponch

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 09/10/2017 01:02:44
How this is different from any other day in Canada I'm not sure, but they seem to enjoy it.
The other days of the year, Canadians say "sorry" to everyone they meet.

Baron

Well, I got there in the end.  I haven't done any proofreading or link-testing or anything, but I think I got it all up and posted.  Now it's off to bed: tomorrow's a work day! :=

To begin your adventure, turn to Post 12

Mandle

Oh, Baron, you sly one!!!

What you have just pulled off undercover is amazing! I haven't played/read the story yet but WOW! just WOW!!! for the sneaky format you obviously planned since day one!

I'm so glad we waited for this!

Baron

Mandle

Sorry guys, I had planned to close this today but got hit with 3 different shitty diapers of stress in RL today so I'm gonna just hit the sack. Too drained to think.

I will close it tomorrow.

Mandle

VOTING TIME!

This round I have decided to just keep voting on the stories simple:

Please choose your top 3 stories.

All regular categories like "Best Writing, Best World Building, Best Use Of The Theme, etc." may still apply in your choices. That's up to you. Just mention your reasons in a comment if you wish your vote to be known for these categories, or for any other reason(s).

Every story selected will receive an equal vote point as per usual.

The stories are (in order of appearance) :

Day Of The Funeral by Mandle.

Prison Without Walls by JudasFm.

Lost In The Baron by Baron.

His Stories by Ponch.

An Experiment in Consciousness by Sinitrena.

Please vote using the name of the story.

Please be sure to read all the entries before voting!

Voting deadline is until Wednesday, October 18th (some stories are quite long and/or replayable it seems).

(Trophies coming soon)

JudasFm

Does this mean we're voting for your story as well, Mandle, even though you're the organizer? I'm confused ???

Mandle

Quote from: JudasFm on Thu 12/10/2017 09:45:38
Does this mean we're voting for your story as well, Mandle, even though you're the organizer? I'm confused ???

Yeah, I updated an earlier post in this thread to include this:

QuoteEDIT 2: Actually, screw you, last-month-myself! Present-right-now-myself put a lot of effort into his story! I'm just going to enter my own contest even as host! If anyone has an issue with that then just don't vote for my story. :P

I didn't start writing my entry before the contest started, nor did I have any ideas in mind.

And it's more interesting to have 5 stories instead of 4 I feel.

Also, with 5 stories and 3 votes nobody will be snubbing only one person and feeling bad about that either.

But, yeah, like I said: If any issues with this choice then no need to voice them. Just don't vote for me. Hell knows I won't be :-D

Mandle

(This post resevered for my own continued reviews and voting)

Lost In The Baron
Spoiler

Well, I've just played through read Baron's entry twice and: The awesome genius of how this entry was preplanned in its structure, set up, and disguised at first as a joke entry, is only eclipsed by the actual wonderincredifulbleness of the finished product!

The story itself has two different levels on which it could be taken, but I think I prefer the latter one.

(I did have a weird dejavu flash at one point of the villain of this tale all wrapped up in a blanket shivering on a couch and complaining about the Canadian weather, but that can probably be ignored by Mandle as a figment of Ross' imagination.)
[close]

JudasFm

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 12/10/2017 11:27:57
Just don't vote for me. Hell knows I won't be :-D

Well, voting for yourself would be a bit strange (laugh)

Anyway, here are my votes:

1st Place: An Experiment in Consciousness. I loved the original take on the prompt; it was very cleverly done :)
2nd Place: Day Of The Funeral I was really torn over whether you or Baron should get second place, but this one just squeaked in for me
3rd Place: Lost In The Baron The idea was clever but even after replaying it, there didn't seem to be much of a cohesive story tying it together, which is why it came in third for me :)

Mandle

The voting process doesn't require that you pick a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place by the way.

It's fine if you do so of course, but all votes will be counted as equal in the final tally.

This is just my experimental way of perhaps loosey-gooseying the categories for voting. I suspect some voters might have been fudging their comments to wedge their votes into particular slots just so they got to vote for their favorite top 3-4 stories each round.

I know I have :-[

My experimental three-vote system allows for voters to place any story into any traditional category they like (via their comment) as in:

(Best Related To Theme: I really liked the way this story matched exactly with the theme of this FWC round)

but doesn't force them to say something like:

(Best Writing: I voted for this story because I felt the line "That's not a knife!" in XXXXXX's story about kitchen utensils coming to life was awesome!)

When what they really wanted to do was just vote for a story they had enjoyed but had to find an excuse to put their vote into a particular category.

Not saying anybody has to use my system in the future, and perhaps a bit further down the line it could be used in conjuction with traditional voting slots being offered as suggestions, but for now I felt that everyone pretty much knows the traditional slots and can use, or not use, them as they please.

JudasFm

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 12/10/2017 14:18:36
The voting process doesn't require that you pick a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place by the way.

It's fine if you do so of course, but all votes will be counted as equal in the final tally.

To be honest, I wasn't thinking of categories when I voted; these were just the three stories I enjoyed most ;)

Mandle

Quote from: JudasFm on Thu 12/10/2017 14:36:19
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 12/10/2017 14:18:36

To be honest, I wasn't thinking of categories when I voted; these were just the three stories I enjoyed most ;)

Yes, and that's fine as well under this experimental voting system*

*that nobody ever has to use ever again if they don't like it, or can develop further, or not.

Baron

To be honest, I don't know about this new voting system. ;)

I remember, as the grand old man of this particular competition board (except for Ponch, who is sometimes grander and always older, but I digress), that this idea of contest adminstrators entering came up back in '15.  I forget whose idea it was, but he was a spry young buck with an impressively tall pickelhaube spike and a mischievous glint in his monocle.  I think in the end the consensus of the writing regulars was inconclusive. ;-D

JudasFm

Quote from: Baron on Sat 14/10/2017 00:02:43
To be honest, I don't know about this new voting system. ;)

I remember, as the grand old man of this particular competition board (except for Ponch, who is sometimes grander and always older, but I digress), that this idea of contest adminstrators entering came up back in '15.  I forget whose idea it was, but he was a spry young buck with an impressively tall pickelhaube spike and a mischievous glint in his monocle.  I think in the end the consensus of the writing regulars was inconclusive. ;-D

Personally I've no problem with admins entering, but I don't think they should be allowed to win twice in a row (though I'm speaking as someone who likes hosting a whole lot more than participating, so I'm probably biased (laugh) ) or get their own trophies ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk