C+C for my sprite, please

Started by remixor, Fri 18/04/2003 05:35:23

Previous topic - Next topic

remixor

Hi all.  After hours and hours (and hours) of pushing pixels, I have completed my first attempt at making a sprite.  This is Mr. Carlson, the main character in the upcoming game from Chapter 9 Studios (all of two people), Mr. Carlson in "Give us the Box!", to be released whenever it's done.

After spending hours making this sprite, I realized it was far too small to work in 640x480, which is what we're using, so I had to double the size and try to reduce all the 2-pixel lines to 1-pixel.  That probably doubled the amount of time I spent.  I'm pretty certain this whole deal shouldn't have taken as long as it did, but hopefully I'll work faster in the future.

Anyway, here's what I'd like suggestions for:
-shading everywhere, most notably in the hair
-everything about the shoes and hands
-the dithering
-the whole thing (seriously, I want to know everything I could improve on)

Thanks for your help! Don't laugh (too much)

EDIT: sorry for posting so much, but one more thing.  I was fairly influenced by LucasArts when making this (though that's probably not obvious given the quality difference), and I was considering removing all of the outlines like in LEC games such as Monkey Island or Fate of Atlantis because I think that technique looks nice.  I wasn't sure how to not make it look stupid though.  Would that be a viable option in 640x480 or does it work better in low-res?
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Neole

I dont know too much bout pixel art so no help there. The character is quite good. Here are the things I noticed -

Shoulders too rounded, sort of a hunchback
Nameplate too broad
Odd nose - just the bottom line (v shaped) might be better than an 'L'
Hands should be bigger but they work fine as they are

remixor

Thanks for the tips, Neole.
I'll work on the things you mentioned, but could you possibly give a bit more explanation on the shoulder bit?  I see what you mean, but I'm not really sure how to change it.  Is his neck too short, meaning his head is too close vertically to his shoulders?
Sorry for the questions, and thanks again.

SSH

I like it, but he does look like he's just been goosed.

remixor

goosed?  ???
Sorry, I'm not sure what that means
Thanks thoug

Rincewind

Hm, I agree pretty much with Neole there. You should fix his shoulders.
And his hands are rather small when you compare with his arms and the rest of his body... ;D
On the whole, a very nice character!

SSH

Goosed:

To poke, prod, or pinch (a person) between or on the buttocks.

remixor

Well, you learn something new everyday.  Thanks SSH

Rince: yeah, I'm going to enlarge the hands.  And about the shoulders, I'm still not quite sure what I should do.  Should I square them up a bit, or are they too high, or both?  Thanks again.

scotch

At the moment they come out at right angles from the neck and then curve around, instead they should slope down from the neck,  and be a bit less rounded at the ends.  I think that's what they meant anyway.

Jimi

It doesn't have much of a neck! Good sprite though.  ;)

remixor

Ok, I tried to fix what was suggested.  I'm not sure how good of a job of it I did though.  As you can see, I also lightened the outlines.

I still welcome criticism!  Thanks all

AndersM

Is it some kind of suit-model whitout collar?  and the jacket is buttoned up higher that the buttons goes.

Rincewind

Ah, that looks much better.
The nose is improved too. ;D

remixor

Rincewind: Thanks!

MrMasse: lol, good points.  I did this without a reference (probably a bad idea) so that explains those things.  I'll try to work on those things you mentioned.

remixor

Ok, here's my latest updated versions.  I tried to fix the jacket.  Hopefully it turned out ok.

remixor

Neole

Remixor, that is exactly what I meant - looking perfect now!

remixor

Thanks Neole  :D

I really appreciate your help, guys.  I would never have thought of that stuff myself.

Cerulean

If you feel the face as you have it best reflects the character's personality, feel free to leave it as is (everybody looks different, after all), but if you want to get closer to normal human facial proportions, try moving the nose one pixel down and the eyes two pixels down.

Michael Zhu

Great sprite, remixor!
The only thing I can see that's wrong, or in my opinion, is the torso-leg ratio. The torso is usually shorter in height than the legs. And from where you placed the crotch, his torso seems to sit right plump on the leggies. It makes him look kinda goofy, someone who won't get much respect. If that's the type of character he is, then the sprite is PERFECT! Perfect I tell ye!
If man carried away in bodybag, say "KOMATA!" and his soul will go to Bodycount Productions.

Michael Zhu

The torso-legs ratio is strange.
The torso is usually shorter in height than the legs, and from where you placed his crotch, it makes him look kind of goofy.
If man carried away in bodybag, say "KOMATA!" and his soul will go to Bodycount Productions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk