The Journey Down trilogy complete!

Started by theo, Tue 19/09/2017 09:28:30

Previous topic - Next topic

theo

Hey guys!

I bet at least some o y'all have been around long enough to remember "The Journey Down", no? :D

Well, long story short, I built a little AGS game by that name a long long time ago and then a couple years later, I managed to convince my buddies at SkyGoblin that we'd remake the game at higher resolution and with new tech, as a commercial project. So we did. We launched the first chapter about five years ago, the second three years ago, and now finally we're about to launch the third and final chapter of the trilogy this coming Thursday (September 21)! It has been an incredibly bumpy ride, but finally reaching goal is an amazing feeling! And without AGS, the TJD series (something my life has revolved around for over 10 years) would never have existed - imagine that!

Some of you I've had the pleasure of hanging out with at previous AdventureX's, I certainly hope to go this year as well but I honestly don't have a clue what lies ahead of me beyond the JD3 release. If you're curious about the TJD3 launch or have any questions about the business of adventure games (I never considered myself a business man, but after building and pushing these games all these years, I've worked up quite a lot of experience) please don't hesitate to ask!

The AGS community has always been supportive, and I'd love, if possible, to give something back. Thanks for being awesome, guys!

Oh and here's a youtube preview of the TJD3 soundtrack. My favorite song from the game. :)

The Last To Know

Congratulations, you made a wise choice when you convinced your buddies a long time ago. ;)
You created a great game, can't wait to play the last episode. :-D

CaptainD

Awesome game Theo and glad you've stuck with it - might even meet you again this year at AX if I can make it.

Stupot

Great. Proud backer here. I can't wait to play number 3 :-)

Also interested to see what is next for SkyGoblin :-)

Mandle

I've only played the original AGS version of part 1, but it was awesome and remains in my memory as one of my favorite AGS games.

I'll be buying/playing the full series for sure now that it is finished! Can't wait!

Matti

I was about to write exactly what Mandle posted. Congrats on the final release!

selmiak

Oh I liked the first episode in AGS and haven't managed to play the newer versions. But since the trilogy is finally complete it's time to play them all in their new hd glory! Congrats on finishing this :D

Umbrella Terms

That's great! I've been waiting for all episodes to come out before diving in, so I'm excited to finally play this!

Chicky

Really happy for you Theo! I can't think of another modern adventures that remind me so much of Grim Fandango, it's been amazing seeing your scene breakdowns and art workflow along the way. Super inspiring stuff, wishing you all the best with the launch!

theo

Wow! Thanks for all the support, guys! :) Nice to see so many familiar faces here!

Cross your fingers for a smooth launch tomorrow. :cool:

arj0n

Quote from: theo on Tue 19/09/2017 09:28:30
I bet at least some o y'all have been around long enough to remember "The Journey Down", no? :D
Ow man, still have fond memories of testing the low-res edition of the first chapter!
Which must have been around 2009, wow, time flies...

Congratz on releasing the 3rth chapter tomorrow, Team SkyGoblin!
Have a nice release party ;)

Any plans on a new project?

Mr Underhill

Snarky

I'd forgotten I had preordered this on Humble Bundle, but gosh darnit there it is! Looking forward to having the time to play it!

Yitcomics

Woohoo so glad I backed on this, just wished I had enough money at the time to get the physical copies, sniff*.

When will the art book be available? Sorry not to rush or anything, but I've been wanting to see the art book for a long time, big fan of your backgrounds :)

SilverSpook

Congratulations! It looks fantastic. :)

theo

Thanks everyone! :D Wow this releae has been INTENSE.

The Artbook is one of the many things we're gonna start producing now that the game is finally done. Gotta spend a couple more weeks spamming first and then we'll focus on KS fullfilment stuff. :D So hopefully withing the coming months? I really look forward to producing these things!

As for new project, we've got a couple different ideas. One pretty heavy storydriven thing, among them, but I think that's gonna have to wait a while. We need to build something small and contained first, just to get something new out of our system fast. I promise I'll be spamming about it whatever it is!!

If you bought the game I LOVE YOU and I'd like to encourage you to please leave a steam review. It really helps! THANKS!

Andail

Yo, congrats on the release :)

Have begun playing and will get back with my thoughts and opinions!

cat

We finished it yesterday and it was really great! The graphics and locations are beautiful, the music fantastic, the cutscenes impressive and the characters and story fun. A very satisfying end to a great series.

Now I'm looking forward to the OST and artbook!

Spoiler
I loved the various uses for the jack-hammer and the modem puzzle :)
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk