Stupid question about compiling your game's music

Started by BigHairyEyeball, Tue 19/09/2017 22:30:58

Previous topic - Next topic

BigHairyEyeball

I'm just about finished with my game, and have gotten it to the point where I want to distribute it, but after I hit the COMPILE button and build the EXE, the game no longer plays my music. I've read up on the wiki as to how to fix this ( http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Distributing_your_game ), but I'll have to be honest, I don't quite understand it; I can't seem to find the "Rebuild VOX Files" option anywhere in the editor, and the Compiled folder for my game only shows an audio.vox, not music.vox. I'm a little green when it comes to this kind of stuff, so how do I ensure that music gets loaded with my game when I send it to someone else?

Thanks in advance!

Crimson Wizard

What is the exact version of AGS you are using?
Note: music.vox is a deprecated name from AGS 3.1 and earlier. Now it is called audio.vox.

BigHairyEyeball

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 19/09/2017 22:55:02
What is the exact version of AGS you are using?
Note: music.vox is a deprecated name from AGS 3.1 and earlier. Now it is called audio.vox.

Looks like I'm using the 3.4.0 version. How does that affect how audio/music is complied?

... also, I really dig your username, considering the game I'm building is about wizards in red deserts. :D Just throwing that out there.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: BigHairyEyeball on Tue 19/09/2017 23:49:03
Looks like I'm using the 3.4.0 version. How does that affect how audio/music is complied?

Hm, maybe it does not... we had several music-related bugs during development of 3.4.1, that is why I asked.

Where do you take final games files from? In 3.4.0 that should be Compiled/Windows.
Are you sure that you did not disable music in winsetup? Is it only music that does not play (do other sounds play, if you have any)?

BigHairyEyeball

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 19/09/2017 23:53:37
Where do you take final games files from? In 3.4.0 that should be Compiled/Windows. Are you sure that you did not disable music in winsetup? Is it only music that does not play (do other sounds play, if you have any)?

Yeah, that's where I'm getting it from, as far as I know. I go in there, grab the .EXE file, and save it to my various upload folders and whatnot. The guys who've volunteered to playtest the game says the game works fine - except for the music. And yeah, it's only the music that doesn't play - the sound effects work just fine. As for Winsetup, I don't think I've even touched that, beyond changing the screen resolution. Do I need to update the engine? Will that effect my game if I built it in 4.3.0?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: BigHairyEyeball on Wed 20/09/2017 00:34:55
Yeah, that's where I'm getting it from, as far as I know. I go in there, grab the .EXE file, and save it to my various upload folders and whatnot. The guys who've volunteered to playtest the game says the game works fine - except for the music. And yeah, it's only the music that doesn't play - the sound effects work just fine. As for Winsetup, I don't think I've even touched that, beyond changing the screen resolution.
Ok, so it is not you who does not have the music, but another person? You say you "grab the .EXE file", what do you have in your uploaded package exactly, is it just exe, or other files too (vox, cfg)? Normally you would copy everything from Compiled/Windows folder (except debug logs "warning.log").

Do I need to update the engine? Will that effect my game if I built it in 4.3.0?
No. Also, there is no 4.3.0...

BigHairyEyeball

Yeah, that's where I'm getting it from, as far as I know. I go in there, grab the .EXE file, and save it to my various upload folders and whatnot. The guys who've volunteered to playtest the game says the game works fine - except for the music. And yeah, it's only the music that doesn't play - the sound effects work just fine. As for Winsetup, I don't think I've even touched that, beyond changing the screen resolution.
Ok, so it is not you who does not have the music, but another person? You say you "grab the .EXE file", what do you have in your uploaded package exactly, is it just exe, or other files too (vox, cfg)? Normally you would copy everything from Compiled/Windows folder (except debug logs "warning.log").
[/quote]

Ah, that might be what it is. I've just been sending out the EXE, not the associated Winsetup or audio.vox. Again, stupid newb question - will the person receiving these files need to do anything special to implement them? Or will it be okay if the file is just in the same folder? Sorry to seem so inexperienced, but this is the first time I've done something anything like this.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 20/09/2017 01:17:38

No. Also, there is no 4.3.0...

Sorry. 3.4.0. I'm a little lysdexic.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: BigHairyEyeball on Wed 20/09/2017 01:46:41
Ah, that might be what it is. I've just been sending out the EXE, not the associated Winsetup or audio.vox. Again, stupid newb question - will the person receiving these files need to do anything special to implement them? Or will it be okay if the file is just in the same folder? Sorry to seem so inexperienced, but this is the first time I've done something anything like this.
Yes, you need to send them all, because they are all part of the game. Audio.vox contains digital audio and winsetup is a setup program. Without winsetup.exe player won't be able to configure the game (well, there is a way, but it requires additional manipulations that are not obvious).
No additional actions needed usually, players just unpack the archive. Then they may run winsetup to change configuration or just run the game.

BigHairyEyeball

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 20/09/2017 01:51:29
Quote from: BigHairyEyeball on Wed 20/09/2017 01:46:41
Yes, you need to send them all, because they are all part of the game. Audio.vox contains digital audio and winsetup is a setup program. Without winsetup.exe player won't be able to configure the game (well, there is a way, but it requires additional manipulations that are not obvious).
No additional actions needed usually, players just unpack the archive. Then they may run winsetup to change configuration or just run the game.

That's all I needed to know. Thanks, Crimson Wizard. :D I owe you an alcoholic beverage of your choice, amigo/amiga. :D

Khris

I was actually about to ask you whether you only uploaded the exe file but then decided not to ask that because I thought it's insulting... (roll)

BigHairyEyeball

Quote from: Khris on Wed 20/09/2017 09:18:04
I was actually about to ask you whether you only uploaded the exe file but then decided not to ask that because I thought it's insulting... (roll)

Hey, like I said, I'm a complete newbie at this. I read the documentation and couldn't find the music.vox file, so I just threw caution to the wind and tried my best. :D It's fixed now, anyways, so I can't complain. Soon as I get some feedback, I'll post it up here for you guys to check out!

Crimson Wizard

The documentation on Wiki pages you linked above is extremely outdated, and seems to not been maintained for years. I suggest to always use help file that comes with the Editor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk