Released: Fred and Barney meet the future...Sept MAG

Started by Slasher, Sun 24/09/2017 11:04:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

September's MAG game 'Past and Present'.
Download here
Enjoy the comedic ride as Fred Flintrock and Barney Pebbledash (parody of the Flintstones) endeavor to obtain a Dodo's egg as Wilma, Fred's wife, has planned omelette and Trex Burgers for Lunch... Of course things are never that simple...especially if you happen to be Stoneage Fred Flintrock...

A NASA bag falls out of a wormhole and lands at Fred's feet, having been accidentally dumped into the wormhole from the far future.

Are what's inside the NASA bag going to help Fred get a Dodo's egg?

"Is that wise, Fred?"
"I'm the brains around here, Barney!"

Spoiler

You'll have to play to find out what Fred encounters and has to overcome (laugh)
[close]
'Fred and Barney meet the future' is for September's Mag competition.

Everything done by yours truly (nod)

Specs: 320 x 200.... 32-Bit.... Direct3D9.... NOT a demo....

Mandle

Wow...like a week early!

I'll have a play tomorrow! Can't wait!

YABADABADOOOO!

Shadow1000

I just played it and all I can say is AWESOME!

- Great adaptation of the theme
- REALLY Funny. I laughed most of the time while playing.
- A LOT of puzzles. Some quite creative and some classic Slasher style
- I would probably play just for that looping music score :D
- Very impressive number of rooms for a game made in a short period of time.

Question
Spoiler
what the heck was Betty doing there? You couldn't interact with her and the location was very surprising.
[close]

Overall, an excellent entry.

Cheers

Slasher

Hi Shadow1000

Quotewhat the heck was Betty doing there? You couldn't interact with her and the location was very surprising.
I think I know where you mean... I have fixed it...sent to room not realizing I exceeded that room.

I have also turned off Debug.

I will be fixing anything else i find...

Thank you for your comments,

cheers

lanchong

Hello

I'm stuck ...
Spoiler
...at the quarry with the dodos. Not sure what to do at this point.
[close]

Thanks

Mandle

Quote from: lanchong on Sat 30/09/2017 03:43:18
Hello

I'm stuck ...
Spoiler
...at the quarry with the dodos. Not sure what to do at this point.
[close]

Thanks

Spoiler
If Barney is with you then maybe you can both rise to the challenge?
[close]

Oh, and I just finished the game.

I so love playing Slasher games! No matter what you always know that it's going to be fun!

A whole bunch of cheesey fun!

I had a smile on my face through a lot of the game. I noticed a lot of subtle animations that older Slasher games probably would not have had. Mate, you are growing as a craftsman!

The puzzles aren't really all that challenging, but that's fine for a game where you just want to progress and see the next crazy thing that happens.

AND...it did feel like a Flintstones cartoon!

The banter between Fred and Barney was a lot of fun except perhaps...

Spoiler
During the tunnels scene the timing on Barney insisting about getting home for the BBQ was a bit too often and broke the pace of the game for me a tad. Maybe make it less often or have him talk about it three times or so and then that's it.
[close]

The final scene was amazing!

Spoiler
I thought I was about to sit through a less-fun cutscene of Fred returning home with the egg and a predictable ending, and then
Spoiler
the bag got pulled back through the wormhole
[close]
and I thought "Okay, good use of the TV/cartoon trope of resetting everything to baseline so as not to interfere with future episodes... Nice..." and then:
Spoiler
Fred and Barney get pulled through?! I was like "WTF?!". I kinda wished the adventure continued at this point, but as an ending it was perfect, and very unexpected!
[close]
[close]

A wonderful game by a craftsman who is always growing in his ability!

Thanks for the fun!

Spoiler
I did notice one bug where if you look at the bag before visiting Magma (which most players will do) the text says "Magma told me it's from the future." or somesuch. You might want to put a condition in the code there so it will say "I have no idea where this came from." or something until after you have actually visited Magma.
[close]

Slasher

Thank you for your kind comments Mandle.

I always try my best....

Meanwhile I am uploading new build from comments you made.

Cheers

EDIT: New build uploaded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk