the blender 3D thread

Started by selmiak, Sun 24/09/2017 12:37:06

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

How to (easily- well, for the most part...) 3D-model the Great Sept of Baelor (as shown in HBO's Game of Thrones). First of three brief tutorials.

Hopefully this will be of use := The great Sept is mostly Byzantine in style. The tutorials follow the same format as those I did for purely Byzantine buildings…

The first one should allow you to end up with something like this:

My tutorial is at https://hubpages.com/art/How-to-3d-model-the-Great-Sept-of-Baelor-from-Game-of-Thrones
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Phemar

I might suggest an easier method for working with objects in a ring.

Create your object, and set the origin to the center of the circle you want it to spin around. Now create an empty axis at the object's origin. Add an 'array' modifier to your object, and set offset to 'object offset' and choose the empty as your target object. Now change the count to 32 or however many you need, and rotate the empty by (count/360) (360/count).

Easy, and all changes made to the original object will be reflected to the rest of them too.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Phemar on Sat 22/09/2018 09:17:06
I might suggest an easier method for working with objects in a ring.

Create your object, and set the origin to the center of the circle you want it to spin around. Now create an empty axis at the object's origin. Add an 'array' modifier to your object, and set offset to 'object offset' and choose the empty as your target object. Now change the count to 32 or however many you need, and rotate the empty by (count/360).

Easy, and all changes made to the original object will be reflected to the rest of them too.

+1
Indeed ^_^ I do plan to look at this method cause it saves a lot of time and is more elegant...
That said, for a tutorial meant for Blender neophytes I am not sure if it would be a good option. It will be great for myself (some experience with Blender, though not an expert) to work with, though!

Cassiebsg

So you mean that is better to "teach" someone a hack practice, rather than the correct and easiest mode of doing things? (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

using the array modifier to dublicate objects in a ring (or like a stairway) is indeed easier and a lot more powerful than doing them all one by one. But you'd rotate the empty by 360/count and not the other way around ;)

Phemar

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 22/09/2018 10:13:44
But you'd rotate the empty by 360/count and not the other way around ;)

That is very true, my bad. I'd just woken up :/

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 22/09/2018 10:13:32
So you mean that is better to "teach" someone a hack practice, rather than the correct and easiest mode of doing things? (roll)

I take it you speak as a user of Blender and capable in it, right? Cause hack sort of is someone who is useless or clueless at something 8-)
As for myself, I have been modeling highly intricate buildings for many years now.

Spoiler
[close]

Jack

No, learn the right way from the start and save yourself the time and trouble it takes to unlearn the wrong way later.

(I'll try to find something I can post)

KyriakosCH

This isn't about learning the right way; basic knowledge of geometry tells you how to position the object. Array (and tied tools, eg spreading the array in curves) are a better way when you want to make stuff like chains, not 7 identical towers (which, btw, are not placed in perfect symmetry here; its not one at each of seven points of a perfectly divided periphery, GoT show presents a different formation).
I wish some people would not try to antagonize so much (let alone without any knowledge of Blender) cause it is boring me ;)

Cassiebsg

I don't need to prove anything to you!

You the one making tutorials to teach others. If you want to teach others, fine, but when someone tells you a better way to place 32 circles/cylinders by using a polar array, you should thank them for point it out. Then spend the 5 minutes that takes to learn it, and update your tutorial... not just say "for Blender neophytes I am not sure if it would be a good option."

KyriakosCH

Lol, right. I did thank him. My issue was with your bizarre attempt to attack (which is boring).
Anyway, i am aware that i am dealing with greatness here, but maybe i should return to posting Blender stuff. And don't worry, indeed you don't have to prove anything to me; i don't give a crap about what you do, Cassie.

Current state of the model:

Jack

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 22/09/2018 15:14:21
Anyway, i am aware that i am dealing with greatness here

Many have underestimated the AGS Blender Nerds to their peril, young one.

Ali

I think some of the tension in this thread derives from two meanings of the word "hack". A hack is a bad writer, or a bad artist (from hackneyed). That's what KyriakosCH seems to have understood.

Cassiebsg used "hack" in the programming sense of "an effective but inelegant solution", which is not usually intended to be insulting.

Cassiebsg

KyriakosCH

Current state of the model:

Likely to finish writing the second part of the tutorial in a couple of days.

KyriakosCH

Closer to being completed :)

Jack

These are some things I recently completed.

The sunlight in the station shot needs to be doubled.

selmiak

yeah, the spacestation looks intersting but could need some more shiny surface, either windows or sunsails or solar cells.
The earth is cool. If you want to improve it, check gleb alexandrov's space tutorials, but they are mostly paid tutorials...

Phemar

Not rendered in Blender, but all models and props were made in Blender:

Cassiebsg

Looks great Phemar (nod)
But since this is the blender thread... what did you use to render it with and why did you choose it over Blender? ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk