MAGS October "Room of Fear" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Sat 30/09/2017 23:55:10

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS October?

Fearaphobia by Slasher
0 (0%)
Moonlight Moggy by Pilchard
7 (50%)
The Frame on the Wall by Hortencya12 and Blondbraid
0 (0%)
Grizzly Goose of Gosse by Smarty
6 (42.9%)
Just You and Me by Glenjamin
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Wed 15/11/2017 23:57:33

Smarty

QuoteThis game does lend a certain charm but it does have issues that need addressing...

I agree Slasher, just wish we had more time. 
We quite enjoyed your game, and after about the 4th attempt we cracked it in 36 seconds!
Angus was not keen... in his words: "That game is too creepy!"

Pilchard, the kids loved your entry and eagerly lined up to play it next.
It had that authentic 'old school' point and click feel and style to it... Well done!

Hortencya12 - The Frame on the wall... interesting story and graphics, creepy music...

Glenjamin - Just you and me... What an original style and theme! I really enjoyed playing this one.
It had a good flow, albeit a little glitchy if not followed correctly.  Especially liked the Jeep!

Thanks for an awesome variety of MAGS entries people ;-D we enjoyed playing them as much as creating our own...

May the best game win!  :)

Slasher

Hi Smarty,

Both Pilchard and myself made games that entered the world of fear and we both hit the topic on the head....though in a different way...
Spoiler

To me Halloween is all about being scared (witches, boogie men etc etc).
My game is more hardcore and included a scary Halloween character theme. Pilchards fear is lighter and less x-rated.
None-the-less both our entries count and I did enjoy Pilchards entry as well..
[close]

Smarty

Hey Slasher,

Like I said Angus didn't even want to play your game, he was too freaked out by it! (laugh)
So you definitely succeeded in frightening him!

We created the game as a family, and as an ulterior motive I hoped the whole thing would cure Angus of his real life fear...
It worked!  He confidently strides right up to the goose and gander (who are very protective of their goslings) and chases them away.
All in all we are wrapped with our little game and I am totally stoked that my little man isn't afraid anymore! :-D

Shadow1000

Regarding "The frame on the wall."

- Gorgeous graphics, as always by Blondbraid
- This game actually had a creep factor. Really well implemented environment and I will admit to having felt some anxiety while playing.

Well done!

Slasher

The frame on the wall: Definite issue...

Spoiler

Game over and goes back to splash but does not revert to Restart Game from fresh when PLAY selected and it all goes pear-shape.. which is a shame.
[close]

Glenjamin

My entry Shooooooooooooooould be done by today.

Can't wait to hear what you think!

Cassiebsg

Hey!
I need a mirror for Grizzly Goose of Gosse, anyone?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Cassiebsg

Smarty

Thanks for that Slasher! (nod)
As you can probably tell I'm a little modern PC/internet illiterate (laugh)
I long for my old 386DX40 I had back in the 90's.  That machine rocked! ;)

Slasher

Come on guys... It's the last day to enter (nod)

Shadow1000

My comments on Grizzly Goose:

- First, what a fresh idea to have a family project with hand drawn characters and backgrounds! It's hard not to just enjoy the personal touch of a family project.
- As far as the puzzles, it flowed quite nicely. I did get stuck for a while on what I feel was an action that was really not obvious. There were parts of the game where it was a bit difficult to understand what was needed to be done but that aside, the flow was good overall.
- As others mentioned, I don't know if having one huge scrolling room counts as one room; I'll let the judges decide that.

Overall, a delightful experience. Good job!

Glenjamin

I had a lot of fun with this one. I ended up spending too much time stretching the bounds of the "One room" aspect of the chellenge. As a result some aspects of the game are noticable lacking.

I'll need to do an update later.

I present to you "Just you and me." Following the story of some young wildlife photographers discovering a hostile monster in south Africa.

Take a bunch of pictures of animals, and try not to get eaten.

There's a few fears at play here. If I had to pin one it would be "Fear of being trapped in an inescapable hole" which I couldn't find a phobia-name for  :-\

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/mFAviGq.png[/imgzoom]

Check it out here: https://glenjamin.itch.io/justyouandme

The password is "MAGS"

Thanks!

Cassiebsg

Slasher

Probably just the way the site works...

I downloaded it ok (nod)

Glenjamin

QuoteWhy is there a password? ???

The game isn't 100% how i wanted it due to the time constraints.

Think of this as "Mags and AGS" only.

It's just me being a little neurotic about the quality. (laugh)

Shadow1000

Just You and me:

I LOVED this game the minute it turned on. I love the low-res graphics complemented by the character speech-art. The music score is a really good choice. The idea of the game is definitely creative and the puzzles are kind of cool.

I found it to be a bit strange that to get out of the car you had to use the key on the car?

As you said, the game can do with a bit of polish but considering the time constraints, overall very impressive. I don't know if this counts as one room but I'll leave that up to the judge...

Glenjamin

QuoteI don't know if this counts as one room but I'll leave that up to the judge...

This game is 100% one room, Aside form one the player never enters, designed to store the monster when not active.

I really enjoyed finding clever ways around this, either through setting the viewports to certain y's on purpose, or using objects to obscure the surrounding screen area. (laugh)

Maybe i'll make a video on it...

MAGS Host

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Fearaphobia by Slasher
Moonlight Moggy by Pilchard
The Frame on the Wall by Hortencya and Blondbraid
Grizzly Goose of Gosse by Smarty
Just You and Me by Glenjamin

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please use the poll above for voting.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: November 15th

Mandle

I'm keeping notes on all the games here as I play them:

BEWARE! MASSIVE SPOILERS!

Moonlight Moggy:

Spoiler
SO CHARMING!!! Amazing for a game made in one month! The overall Halloweeny feel of the graphics and the loveable characters make this really something special. I played with a 4-year-old student and she LOVED it. Couldn't stop saying "So CUTE!!!" and she was especially entranced with the end scene: "One cat is sleeping but one is watching TV!". She found that adorable. One thing I would suggest if a non-MAGS version is planned for the future is maybe one or two extra "fears" to overcome (i.e: one or two more puzzles) to really flesh it out.
[close]

Just You And ME:

Spoiler
A wonderful treat if slightly incomplete, especially as it squeaked in at the last moment! The cute low-res graphics really work well with the horror of what happens later on, leaving most of the gore up to the mind of the player, where it is so much more graphic (pun not intended but I'll go with it). I can't wait to play the full version because I grew so interested in the mystery. The creepy feeling of invisible monsters all around us and only visible through the lens of a device reminded me of the movie "They Live". It was a bit hard to figure out what was happening at the end but I'm guessing that's due to time restraints and will be fixed. In a way I think it's best that part was left vague so as not to spoil the full game which looks like it will be something incredible!
[close]

The Frame On The Wall:

Spoiler
WOW! So spooky! This really had the mood of a campfire story with the final reveal sending a welcome chill up the spines of the listeners. What it lacked in length and complexity it made up for in atmosphere. Music was a little loud though. I felt it should be slightly quieter to fit the mood better. Thanks for the creepy Halloween thrill!
[close]

Fearaphobia:

Spoiler
Slasher! How dare you use consistant graphics in your game! It...it...just doesn't feel like a Slasher game... :~( . I had a lot of fun with the game and can tell it was supposed to be a larger concept before the terrible coffee incident of 2017! It was a bit unclear what the win condition was though. It was hard to tell that it was the boogeyman who said "Success!" and the first time through I thought I had won the game by going to mum & dad's room. Maybe a bit of a clearer "You Won" and "You Lost" signalling is needed. Nice jumpscare on the title screen when you click play. Made me jump!
[close]

Grizzly Goose Of Gosse:

Spoiler
What a great Halloween treat! I have a soft-spot for games with artwork done by kids as my first ever AGS game was conceived and drawn by some of my young students as a class project (My First Big Adventure), and another class project was voiced by students too (Easter Encounter). The artwork is amazing in that it also works in a game format with everything laid out perfectly. The voicing is heart-breakingly cute and it's refreshing to hear a game voiced by actual fellow Aussies and not saying "G'day mate!", "Grab us a tinny!", or "Crikey!" every five seconds. Just talking like we really do. Puzzles were spot-on for a game for all ages and multiple uses for certain quest objects was cleverly done. The outback(?) station setting was cool. I'm guessing that's where you guys actually live. Must be beautiful in real life! Also this is the only entry (I believe) that actually followed all the theme rules in that it was about a real fear of one of the cast. Loved the detail put into the character sprite transformations when changing into a costume and carrying objects. And the "sound effects" were hilarious. Loved the tent zipper!

Oh, and the fnal song! BRILLIANT! Had me laughing!

This game gets my vote!
[close]

Thanks to all for great games to play post-Halloween after two weeks of busy, back-breaking (literally) work with no days off!!!

All games were awesome but I knew my clear winner the moment I played it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk