Commissar's Contrapasso (RELEASED)

Started by Blondbraid, Sun 01/10/2017 21:07:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Commissar's Contrapasso is a story about an arrogant soviet commissar
who follows the official doctrines of the party with little regard for the simple soldiers beneath him,
until he finds himself caught alone behind enemy lines that is.

For the curious, the title refers to the term Contrapasso from Dante's Inferno, wich means "suffer the opposite",
and is used to describe punishments reflecting the sins of the one getting punished, and will hopefully reflect the themes of this story.

I first came up with this idea back in January, and much like my previous games in a WWII setting this game will feature some dark humor and deal with a few heavy subjects,
but my hope is that it overall will be a worthwhile experience. While the main focus is on dialogues and puzzles, it will be possible for careless players to kill the protagonist.

Screenshots:

Cassiebsg

Weee, another game in the series, (nod)
Love the "peep talk", that's the spirit, let's die an agonizing death for the motherland! (laugh)

Keep up the good work, and I'll be looking forward to it. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AnasAbdin

The dialogs look amazing like how your games are made!
I knew you were cooking something (laugh)
The backgrounds look amazing, I see more details than before, still same style which I love! Plus a deep story with a meaningful title.

And of course, the love of my life, Ivan (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 01/10/2017 21:12:43
Weee, another game in the series, (nod)
Love the "peep talk", that's the spirit, let's die an agonizing death for the motherland! (laugh)

Keep up the good work, and I'll be looking forward to it. (nod)
Thank you, I'm happy to see that you like it!
Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sun 01/10/2017 22:33:10
The dialogs look amazing like how your games are made!
I knew you were cooking something (laugh)
The backgrounds look amazing, I see more details than before, still same style which I love! Plus a deep story with a meaningful title.

And of course, the love of my life, Ivan (laugh)
Thanks, I've been practicing at drawing!
And yes, Ivan will have a role in the game, albeit a small one since the focus is on the titular commissar.

I have worked on some animations for cutscenes too:
https://i.imgur.com/AmRsj9V.mp4

selmiak

and it continues! Great. I love the more detailed artwork, the wallpapers in the office, the car outside the window and the usual umbrella stand with a gun :D

Blondbraid

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 02/10/2017 09:50:32
and it continues! Great. I love the more detailed artwork, the wallpapers in the office, the car outside the window and the usual umbrella stand with a gun :D
Thanks! While I have to admit that I've reused some stuff from my previous games,
I learned that making the perspective on wallpapers align is surprisingly easy once you've figured out the shear tool in Photoshop,
so expect to see more detailed wallpapers in the interiors of this game! ;-D

Riaise

Yay! I remember you mentioning this in the MAGS thread back in January. It's good to see how much it's progressed. I'm looking forward to playing! ;-D

Blondbraid

So I've been working on a new background lately, though I may add a few finishing touches in the final game:

The vehicle is supposed to be some kind of Kübelwagen, which was used by germans on the eastern front. I'm aware that the details of military equipment is a
very serious subject to some people and I hope my depiction is alright, I'm still trying to get the hang of drawing vehicles and machinery.

Cassiebsg

I think it looks good, at least I recognized it instantly. (nod)

Good job! Keep it up.

Creamy

It's nicer and nicer (nod)

QuoteI learned that making the perspective on wallpapers align is surprisingly easy once you've figured out the shear tool in Photoshop,
so expect to see more detailed wallpapers in the interiors of this game! ;-D
Yeah! More printed flowers and crazy perspectives!

Gurok

I think the Kübelwagen looks fantastic. You've done a really good job with the tyres.

I like the texture work too, especially with the grass and foliage.

It's looking good so far.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

AnasAbdin

I agree with Gurok, the Kübelwagen is amazing 8-)
I love where your art style is going through out your projects! It really reminds me when I was young and getting 'the shock' every time a newer Sierra episode is released (laugh)

Blondbraid

Thank you for all the kind word everybody, I'm so happy that you liked it!
I've been a bit busy with making more art and handling the script, and now, the Kübelwagen can be interacted with!

CrashPL

It's great to see that you're rolling with a next installment in your franchise. :D Looking great so far, keep up the good work!

May I ask for at least a small cameo of sniper and spotter in this game? :D

Blondbraid

Quote from: CrashPL on Tue 17/10/2017 20:36:33
It's great to see that you're rolling with a next installment in your franchise. :D Looking great so far, keep up the good work!
Thanks, I'm happy to hear that!
Quote from: CrashPL on Tue 17/10/2017 20:36:33
May I ask for at least a small cameo of sniper and spotter in this game? :D
Don't worry, they will show up in the game. (take a close look at the second screenshot at the top!) ;)

Blondbraid

I haven't worked as much as I've wanted to on the gameplay (a bit of creative fatigue at the moment) but I did manage to do a few more animations for the commissar.

AnasAbdin

Lol I like how you put your "creative fatigue" into good use and animated the commissar (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sat 28/10/2017 08:09:11
Lol I like how you put your "creative fatigue" into good use and animated the commissar (laugh)
Thank you!
I've planned a lot of animations, so progress have been slow, but I'll be posting some new screenshots of my work soon.

As for now, here's a quick doodle I made for Halloween!

Cassiebsg

Love your quick doodles... wish I could doodle like that! (nod)

AnasAbdin

Spooky! 8-0 Love your doodles!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 31/10/2017 18:44:53
Love your quick doodles... wish I could doodle like that! (nod)
Quote from: AnasAbdin on Wed 01/11/2017 04:09:38
Spooky! 8-0 Love your doodles!
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!
Anyway, Commissar's Contrapasso now has a devlog on Game Jolt too, I hope you'll check it out!

DBoyWheeler

Yeah, the term "Contrapasso".  Basically in our modern day vernacular, we'd call it "poetic justice".

Anyway, best of luck with this game.

Blondbraid

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Mon 06/11/2017 22:11:52
Yeah, the term "Contrapasso".  Basically in our modern day vernacular, we'd call it "poetic justice".

Anyway, best of luck with this game.
Poetic Justice really is the best kind of justice! :)

I've made some progress, animated a few scenes and so forth. Let's just say someone's in for a rude awakening! ;)

DBoyWheeler

Just a suggestion for a funny Easter egg...

Maybe as a "random chance moment", one of the soldiers could shout out "Leerooooooooy Jenkiiiiiiins!"  Again, just a random possible line an NPC could say for a silly Easter egg.

Blondbraid

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 10/11/2017 10:39:16
Just a suggestion for a funny Easter egg...

Maybe as a "random chance moment", one of the soldiers could shout out "Leerooooooooy Jenkiiiiiiins!"  Again, just a random possible line an NPC could say for a silly Easter egg.
While the original video of Leroy Jenkins was hilarious, I'm on the fence weather to include it, seeing as referential humor is a double edged sword. It can be great fun to those who know of the original, but at the same time those who don't get the reference will just be confused. And there's the problem of including a WoW reference in a historical setting, it's a bit of an anachronism. So whether or not any pop cultural references ends up in the game depends on whether I find a way to include it in a way that's funny and makes sense even to those who are unfamiliar with the original. But even if I don't find a way to include that particular reference in the game, my goal is still to make a funny game with good jokes. I'll post some more screenshots soon.(roll)

Click'd

Don't do it.That one has been done to death. Oh, and I'm not a fan of "references" in general. A lot of people seem to be mistaking them for humour.

Blondbraid

Like I previously mentioned, I have no plans on adding a Leroy Jenkins reference to the game, but it did give me an idea for a silly doodle:

Anyway, here are some new screenshots from the game, and I'd be happy to hear your thoughts:

Cassiebsg

Has someone pee on the floor? (laugh)
Nice new screens, and I specially love his face expression! (nod)

Speel: whish = wish

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 16/11/2017 18:15:59
Has someone pee on the floor? (laugh)
Nice new screens, and I specially love his face expression! (nod)

Speel: whish = wish
Thanks! To answer your question, here's a screenshot of the commissar commenting on the puddle (it will make sense in context :)):

Riaise

Lovely backgrounds, as always! I especially like the last one, the clouds and the colour of the leaves really give it the feel of a chilly autumn day. :)

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 16/11/2017 15:39:16
Like I previously mentioned, I have no plans on adding a Leroy Jenkins reference to the game, but it did give me an idea for a silly doodle:

Nothing like a good ol' fourth wall break!

Blondbraid

Seeing as several game developers have gone out to say that their games won't include loot-boxes after the controversy around EA and so forth,
I'd might as well jump the bandwagon and point out that this game won't have loot-boxes either (not that it was ever planned to have them in the first place). :P

Know what the game will have though? Regular boxes!

(The situation depicted in the screenshot will make sense in context)

Blondbraid

I've made a few more animations in order to give the main characters different facial expressions.
For some reason the protagonist doesn't seem too happy about it though...

AnasAbdin

I like the idea of episodic games using different characters (nod)
You get to control different characters and still see your favorite ones (laugh)
As for the animation, it's as brilliant as all your artwork.

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Mon 04/12/2017 12:07:49
I like the idea of episodic games using different characters (nod)
You get to control different characters and still see your favorite ones (laugh)
As for the animation, it's as brilliant as all your artwork.
Thank you, I'm glad you appreciate it!
I recently finished a new animation for the main character:

I wanted to have different animations for picking up things from up high and picking things on the ground in this game.

As for using different characters, a big reason I chose the commissar as a protagonist for this game is that he has a different story to tell from the previous protagonists,
and his interactions and dynamics with other characters will be different as well.

Cassiebsg

Nice crouch. (nod)
Keeping up the high standards in animation, I see. :-D

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 05/12/2017 10:52:40
I wanted to have different animations for picking up things from up high and picking things on the ground in this game.

Super. I also do this (and in different uniforms). Here's a trick to even get more variations: make the animation in a why where when played halfway you can still use it for picking up stuff of lower shelves or knee-length heights ;)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 05/12/2017 11:25:11
Nice crouch. (nod)
Keeping up the high standards in animation, I see. :-D
Thank you!
Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 05/12/2017 11:47:50
Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 05/12/2017 10:52:40

Super. I also do this (and in different uniforms). Here's a trick to even get more variations: make the animation in a why where when played halfway you can still use it for picking up stuff of lower shelves or knee-length heights ;)
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind!

Blondbraid

It was some time since I last shared something, might as well show this vehicle I drew:

It's meant to be a ZIS-5 truck, and I do hope it's recognizable despite being in a more cartoonish style.

Creamy

Quotemake the animation in a why where when
Why where when what ?

I love the design of the new characters - the tough woman with her hands in her pockets and the middle-aged officer laughing.

AnasAbdin

I love the truck :) I feel like some arm is going to fall when the truck hits a bump on the road *gulp*

Blondbraid

Quote from: Creamy on Thu 14/12/2017 16:04:47
I love the design of the new characters - the tough woman with her hands in her pockets and the middle-aged officer laughing.
Thanks, hope you'll like their dialogues as well!

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sun 17/12/2017 17:39:42
I love the truck :) I feel like some arm is going to fall when the truck hits a bump on the road *gulp*
I hope you don't get too heartbroken over the fate of it... (roll)

(the last windows update somehow messed up Photoshop Elements on my pc so that my tablet doesn't work with it anymore, so I tried making this background in Firealpaca and Gimp instead. Those programs are not as good, but at least they're free.)

Blondbraid

I've spent some time implementing music by Eric Matyas as well as adding a few more interactions to the game, but it's been hard to get much done in this busy season. However, I now believe that the game is about 40% completed and that if everything goes well, I may be able to complete it entirely by spring.

Anyway, since it's Christmas, I'd thought I'd share this heartwarming story about a Christmas during WW2 I just read! ;-D

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 19/12/2017 17:29:14

I'm prepared for worse after the goat incident in your previous game :-[
Your new background is amazing I wouldn't care what software is used.

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 25/12/2017 21:52:06
Anyway, since it's Christmas, I'd thought I'd share this heartwarming story about a Christmas during WW2 I just read! ;-D

Thanks for sharing :)

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 26/12/2017 14:55:37
Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 19/12/2017 17:29:14

I'm prepared for worse after the goat incident in your previous game :-[
Your new background is amazing I wouldn't care what software is used.

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 25/12/2017 21:52:06

Thanks for sharing :)
Thanks, glad to hear! ;-D

So, there'r a new year coming, and I've worked on a new animation:

I wish everyone a happy new year! But remember that loud and sudden noises can be stressful to people with ptsd (I read quite a bit about it doing research for this game), so try to go easy with the fireworks, and have a nice new years eve! :)

Blondbraid

It was some time since I made a new post, so I might as well share the latest background I've been working on:

Cassiebsg

Oh, I somehow missed the previous post... poor guy, now he also gets killed... (laugh)

Great new BG and love the curtain. (laugh)
Only think that looks out of place to me is the main "path". I feel like there should be more size increasing as it approaches the "camera".

Anyway, keep up the good work and I'll be gladly waiting for to play this game. :-D

Blondbraid

Thank you, glad to hear! ;-D
And yeah, there will be quite a few ways to get killed, the story takes place in a war after all...

Blondbraid

I've been doing some more work on the game, and now I've added a sequence where you get to interact more with the truck:

And remember that if any of the text lables on the metal parts seems strange to you,
the protagonist is a man with zero knowledge on cars and machinery.
It didn't prevent him from getting selected for the task of repairing the truck though...

Riaise

It looks really good! And the labels don't look strange to me at all, it's exactly how I'd describe car parts if I had to. (laugh)

AnasAbdin

But trucks are made of metal things and stuff (laugh)
I think I'll enjoy this puzzle a lot!

Blondbraid

Thanks, I'm glad you both like it and I hope you find the solution to this puzzle interesting!

Blondbraid

Thought I'd share a closer look at some of the side characters in the game:

These guys are members of a Soviet Penal battalion, disgraced officers, men charged with cowardice and gulag inmates promised freedom in exchange for participating in extremely dangerous missions,
basically Suicide squad, but without pop songs and animal costumes. Also, in this game there will be no pointless and voyeuristic dressing up montages.

I promise, the scene where the protagonist undresses is really important for the story! :)

AnasAbdin

Your idle animations are awesome as always!

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 23/01/2018 17:17:28
I promise, the scene where the protagonist undresses is really important for the story! :)

I trust your judgement, but even if it's not important, I still want to see it (laugh)

Blondbraid

Sorry for taking this long, here is a new image of another peril for the titular commissar to avoid, and to drive the point home that while this game may have cartoon aethetics, it's probably not something I'd recommend playing with your kids:

There is still some work to be done on this set-piece, plus I've spent a lot of time animating a different character since I have several potential death scenes and expressive conversations in mind for the game.

Cassiebsg

Lovely BG! I like the textures on the buildings. (nod)

Yes, I think we all agree that war is brutal and not for kids... yet... kids do tend to find them self's in the middle of wars that they neither have started, asked for it or even understand... unfortunately. :~(

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 08/02/2018 21:39:39
Lovely BG! I like the textures on the buildings. (nod)

Yes, I think we all agree that war is brutal and not for kids... yet... kids do tend to find them self's in the middle of wars that they neither have started, asked for it or even understand... unfortunately. :~(
True words, and I do hope my game will adequately convey this message.

Currently, I'm working on a set piece based on sneaking around whilst also keeping a keen eye on the area. Since the protagonist is unarmed for this section,
just shooting the enemies is not an option, however, it might soon change...

Cassiebsg

Oooh... I see a tricky situation... and a couple death scenes before getting it right. (laugh)

Well, just shooting the enemy might be tempting, but chances are it would just attract more of them and this time not as distracted as this guy is. ;)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 13/02/2018 15:40:54
Oooh... I see a tricky situation... and a couple death scenes before getting it right. (laugh)

Well, just shooting the enemy might be tempting, but chances are it would just attract more of them and this time not as distracted as this guy is. ;)
Oh yes, I'm about to animate quite a few death animations!

On a further note, Happy Valentine's day! Now there isn't really any romantic subplots in this game,
so I'll just post this screenshot instead. :P (It will make sense in context!)

Creamy

Quotein this game there will be no pointless and voyeuristic dressing up montages.
QuoteNow there isn't really any romantic subplots in this game,
No sex? No love story? What a shame, the setting was so romantic...
Spoiler
[close]

Blondbraid

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 14/02/2018 18:11:12
Quotein this game there will be no pointless and voyeuristic dressing up montages.
QuoteNow there isn't really any romantic subplots in this game,
No sex? No love story? What a shame, the setting was so romantic...
Spoiler
[close]
Well, the game's not finished yet... ;)

Blondbraid

A new screenshot, the commissar and one of his comrades exploring an abandoned apartment:

By my estimations, I'd guess this game is about 60% completed, but there's still some puzzles, animations
and the last quarter of the game that needs to be finished, as well as sound and music for several scenes.

Blondbraid

Just spent some time animating one of the antagonists of the game:

He's currently on a smoke break, but he'll have some pretty tense moments in the game.

Blondbraid

I've added a new area to the game and I'm currently working on adding different cutscenes to the gameplay of the section.
There will be a few potential death scenes as well, both for the enemy soldiers as well as careless players. :)

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 28/02/2018 14:15:11
careless players. :)

I'm totally stealing this (laugh)
Love the latest background! For some reason it feels.. homey! I mean I have a feeling I lived there as a kid.. can't explain :-[

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 20/02/2018 14:41:50

I have a little note about this background. I found it a little hard to read the red text using this font. I think the background colors missed up my vision for this particular scene. I'd reconsider the font size. But then it's totally up to you and I am willing to adjust my vision however you wanna produce this game (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Wed 28/02/2018 15:12:05
Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 28/02/2018 14:15:11
careless players. :)

I'm totally stealing this (laugh)
Love the latest background! For some reason it feels.. homey! I mean I have a feeling I lived there as a kid.. can't explain :-[

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 20/02/2018 14:41:50

I have a little note about this background. I found it a little hard to read the red text using this font. I think the background colors missed up my vision for this particular scene. I'd reconsider the font size. But then it's totally up to you and I am willing to adjust my vision however you wanna produce this game (laugh)
Thanks, glad you liked it! ;-D
However, the screenshot isn't the same size of the actual game, is the text still hard to read in the full size? Would it help choosing a brighter red for the protagonist's speech?
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/ZFUFzYX.png[/imgzoom]

AnasAbdin

I did reduce the image size in the quote so I don't ruin your thread :-[
Yes, I had trouble reading the text in the full resolution version. You could easily avoid this by putting the text display over the wooden floor for this particular scene (e.g. using SayAt..). Changing the color may not be the best option since the current color may look good on other backgrounds.

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Wed 28/02/2018 16:50:13
I did reduce the image size in the quote so I don't ruin your thread :-[
Yes, I had trouble reading the text in the full resolution version. You could easily avoid this by putting the text display over the wooden floor for this particular scene (e.g. using SayAt..). Changing the color may not be the best option since the current color may look good on other backgrounds.
I tried putting the text over the floor instead, is this easier to read?
Spoiler
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/74bhZo2.png[/imgzoom]
[close]
(I put it in a spoiler tag because it's such a large image)

Kumpel

Maybe you should also consider splitting this text. It's easier to read, doesn't look like a huge pile off red letters and it's funny in its own way to click through three or four lines with that nice little punchline at the end.

And oh boy those two must be great comrades, considering they are literally using the same space in this room. ;)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Kumpel on Thu 01/03/2018 12:52:52
Maybe you should also consider splitting this text. It's easier to read, doesn't look like a huge pile off red letters and it's funny in its own way to click through three or four lines with that nice little punchline at the end.
Thanks for the feedback, it's easy to lose track of the readability of the text since I'm writing it, so I already know what's on the screen.
QuoteAnd oh boy those two must be great comrades, considering they are literally using the same space in this room. ;)
I don't want to spoil my own game, but their relationship will play a big role in the story and gameplay as well! :)

Anyway, I've currently spent a lot of time animating cutscenes, you can see a small sample below:

Cassiebsg

Nice roll!
I'm though almost afraid of what that will do... explode? 8-0
(though maybe a opening thin line should be visible? Mostly cause it's so zoomed that it's odd that it's not there.)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 04/03/2018 15:44:46
Nice roll!
I'm though almost afraid of what that will do... explode? 8-0
(though maybe a opening thin line should be visible? Mostly cause it's so zoomed that it's odd that it's not there.)
Spoiler
You've no idea how right you are! (laugh)
[close]
I can only say that the cutscene is longer in the game and I think it will make sense in context.

Here's my latest screenshot of the game progress:

Alright, it's a sewer level, and I know it's not exactly a creative choice,
but I do have some gameplay ideas that I think will prove interesting. :)

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 09/03/2018 22:28:37
it's a sewer level, and I know it's not exactly a creative choice,

I beg to differ (wrong)
I think this is a very rich place for puzzles and fun (Police Quest 2 was super fun). I'd be extra careful near that cobweb though. But I can already see interesting "stuff" going to happen.

Cassiebsg

Where your characters take you for the ride is not a matter of creative choice... they decided to go down there, not you... ;) But you would probably do the same if you in the middle of an insane war, no?

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Mon 19/03/2018 13:09:01
Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 09/03/2018 22:28:37
it's a sewer level, and I know it's not exactly a creative choice,

I beg to differ (wrong)
I think this is a very rich place for puzzles and fun (Police Quest 2 was super fun). I'd be extra careful near that cobweb though. But I can already see interesting "stuff" going to happen.
You have seen nothing yet! That cobweb is small compared to those deeper in the sewer! :)
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 19/03/2018 19:25:11
Where your characters take you for the ride is not a matter of creative choice... they decided to go down there, not you... ;) But you would probably do the same if you in the middle of an insane war, no?
Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like it!

Here's a short preview of one of the puzzles for the sewer section, still a bit of a work in progress:

AnasAbdin

The details and atmospheric animations are great!
B.. b.. but a very lovely and sweet AGSer will be shocked seeing what's inside the fuse box :~(

CaptainD

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 20/03/2018 17:01:19
B.. b.. but a very lovely and sweet AGSer will be shocked seeing what's inside the fuse box :~(

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH don't tell Tabby...

Cassiebsg

* Cassiebsg sneaks in and plaster's a "censured" black box over the left lower corner of the fuse box...

Looking good... my first thought was "stick that knife on the sockets!" and then thought "uhm... probably a bad idea". (laugh)

Tabata

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 20/03/2018 18:10:28
Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 20/03/2018 17:01:19

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH don't tell Tabby...

Did someone call for me?

Oh, what an interesting gif we have he... WHAT! :shocked:

Squeeeeek!
- It'll become a scary game!?  ...  I'm horrified!

... but at least it's definitely not me in that box  (wrong)
(because I know my x-ray image) 

Blondbraid

Don't worry everyone, I promise no animals were harmed in making this game!

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 20/03/2018 18:15:16
Looking good... my first thought was "stick that knife on the sockets!" and then thought "uhm... probably a bad idea". (laugh)
Great that you mentioned it, I've definitively need to add an animation for that in the game!

Blondbraid

Haven't animated the "sticking a knife into electrical socket" animation yet, but I did animate this:

For those occasions he needs to examine something on the floor, or hide behind one of those
waist-high walls that war-zones are littered with if third-person shooter games are to be believed.

Anyway, I'll try to rest my hands this weekend,
have a happy Easter everyone! ;-D

Blondbraid

I'm currently working on a rather labyrinthine section (Well, this screenshot is just a small part of it):

I drew a map to keep track of all the rooms and how they're connected, though I'm not posting it here since it'd be kind of a spoiler for that part of the game.

selmiak

The image is only visible int he source of the post. Looking dark and blocked... nice textures :)

AnasAbdin

"It looks like this path is blocked." - or is it? (nod)

Love the setting and textures. Wonder what's it like with audio!

Blondbraid

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 10/04/2018 22:06:23
The image is only visible int he source of the post. Looking dark and blocked... nice textures :)
Thanks! But did you have trouble viewing the image?
Quote from: AnasAbdin on Wed 11/04/2018 05:35:35
"It looks like this path is blocked." - or is it? (nod)

Love the setting and textures. Wonder what's it like with audio!
Glad to hear that! It doesn't have much audio save some background music at the moment,
audio is usually one of the last things I add to an area.

Blondbraid

It was a while since my last post, so here's the Commissar giving you a tour of his office:

Mandle

Happy to see that your genre of Soviet-era adventure games is still alive and well!

Can't wait to play this one, comrade!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 25/04/2018 13:22:28
Happy to see that your genre of Soviet-era adventure games is still alive and well!

Why thank you so much, I'm glad to hear that! ;-D

TheFrighter

I'm feeling more comunist now, damned imperialists!

_

AnasAbdin

I admit that these types of games aren't my cup of tea. Blondbraid made me love them!

Blondbraid

Quote from: TheFrighther on Thu 26/04/2018 17:18:44
I'm feeling more comunist now, damned imperialists!

_
Quote from: AnasAbdin on Thu 26/04/2018 18:09:08

I admit that these types of games aren't my cup of tea. Blondbraid made me love them!
Thank you both, I love history and I hope my games will make more people interested in it!
Here's the latest animation I've drawn for the game:

Any guesses as to what he's reacting to? :)

AnasAbdin

A deceased decomposing body of a beloved person he found in the sewer tunnels?

Cassiebsg

Creamy

Sniper kissing spotter :P

...or more likely he saw these poor guys:

Blondbraid

Great suggestions, all of you! (laugh)

I'm sorry I haven't posted sooner, I've had a busy time, what with all the spring cleaning, working on a MAGS entry and watching the Eurovision final in the meantime,
but I have added a few new things now (I'm afraid I had to compress the GIF to upload it, don't worry, this will look better in the actual game):

AnasAbdin

LOL How he turned around and walked away: "Nope!" (laugh)
Yes please post more, never get enough of your work here specially I don't know if you use other media outlets (nod)

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Wed 23/05/2018 09:04:02
LOL How he turned around and walked away: "Nope!" (laugh)
Yes please post more, never get enough of your work here specially I don't know if you use other media outlets (nod)
Thank you, I'm glad you like it!
I also post on the Adventuregamers forums: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/10410/
And I have a devlog on GameJolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/commissars-contrapasso/291181
(though I will admit I mostly just copy-paste posts from GameJolt on the Adventuregamers forum)

Blondbraid

Recently finished a new animation for Victor:

I had some fun drawing the animations for his hair and scarf!

Cassiebsg

That looks great! :)
Though, shouldn't he also have some facial movement? (eyes & mouth) to reflect the situation? (I know, I'm just being nitpicky now... (laugh) )

lorenzo

Cool animation, the hair and scarf add a lot of movement to it!

Riaise

Yeah, I agree with Lorenzo, it looks really good! ;-D

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 31/05/2018 17:08:28
That looks great! :)
Though, shouldn't he also have some facial movement? (eyes & mouth) to reflect the situation? (I know, I'm just being nitpicky now... (laugh) )
Quote from: lorenzo on Thu 31/05/2018 18:49:15
Cool animation, the hair and scarf add a lot of movement to it!
Quote from: Riaise on Fri 01/06/2018 13:33:55
Yeah, I agree with Lorenzo, it looks really good! ;-D
Thank you, I'm so happy that you all liked it!
Anyway, here's the animation in context:

This room is still a work in progress, and I have my work cut out for me since my vision is to build a set-piece around an intense confrontation.

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 31/05/2018 16:30:52
Recently finished a new animation for Victor:

I had some fun drawing the animations for his hair and scarf!

I love what you did with the hair and scarf! The more detailed movements the merrier ;-D

Now call me a man with a dirty mind.. but those two dudes hiding in the corner made me double take (laugh)
https://i.imgur.com/FHi2gi4.jpg

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 05/06/2018 21:57:04
Now call me a man with a dirty mind.. but those two dudes hiding in the corner made me double take (laugh)
https://i.imgur.com/FHi2gi4.jpg
It wasn't intentional, I swear! (laugh)

Blondbraid

I felt it's about time I posted something new:

As you can see, the hero is in quite a predicament here, and the player will have to carefully navigate the situation in order to avoid a grisly end.
Or not, there won't be any permanent death in this game. :-\

I have been trying to strike a good balance on how dark the game can get, there will be scenes of blood and dead people, but I have no intention of including gore for the sake of it.

Blondbraid

I've been drawing on a new character lately, a soviet doctor. Now this doctor might be a little bit absent-minded,
and he have forgotten which limb he was supposed to amputate from time to time, but he is a hard worker with great enthusiasm for his job.

Cassiebsg

Oh, he looks cheerful (nod) Maybe his eye balls could follow the pen/writing? ;)

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 24/06/2018 16:27:43
Oh, he looks cheerful (nod) Maybe his eye balls could follow the pen/writing? ;)

Totally agree!

Love seeing the progress Blondbraid!

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sun 24/06/2018 17:24:17
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 24/06/2018 16:27:43

Totally agree!

Love seeing the progress Blondbraid!
Thanks, I'm definitively following Cassiebsg's suggestion! :)

Blondbraid

Good news everyone, I've just completed the game and it is playable from start to finish! :-D
However, there are still several cutscenes and animations that needs to be done as well as
a lot of polishing, but if all goes well you can hopefully expect to see it released the upcoming month.

Riaise

Hooray! That's always a good milestone to achieve. You're in the home stretch, now! :-D

Blondbraid

Quote from: Riaise on Fri 29/06/2018 14:51:47
Hooray! That's always a good milestone to achieve. You're in the home stretch, now! :-D
Thanks! ;-D
I feel that I've completed all the important parts of the game now, and I feel that even if I keep polishing, I'll never be able to make the perfect and flawless game I want to make, so I've decided to try to have everything wrapped up and ready to release the game by this upcoming Monday. Wish me luck!

Blondbraid

I'm dreadfully sorry that it took a day longer than I expected, but I have now released the game and I hope you will enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed making it!

Here is the Completed Game Announcements page!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk